What's new

Arkansas Love...Let's see those Arks!

That'd be a question for Norton, though possibly some old books on US mineral resources may mention it.

Got the black hone cleaned off... 2.69 Specific Gravity... Certainly seems like it's a legit Surgical Black Arkansas. Not a bad deal... 8x3x0.5" for $50+ shipping.

874F1797-C3F7-4AD9-BA2E-1CE7FBFEB944.jpeg

One of my Brian Brown blades was in genuine need of attention. Took a while but running through the Jonathan Coe Arkansas gauntlet...Bethesda Black, Dota Creek, and Arkansas Grey (shown) will produce an edge sure to get your attention.

My wife and I found an interesting stone yesterday, which has light and dark translucent in it, but is mostly dark non-translucent dark.
BAB5DB5E-6BAB-475D-9FB7-1678170AE05B.jpeg

Attachments

• 73268112-8276-422A-A3D2-182365A490E7.jpeg
    73268112-8276-422A-A3D2-182365A490E7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 6C654493-AB03-4DE1-9B0E-913888E849BB.jpeg
    6C654493-AB03-4DE1-9B0E-913888E849BB.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 34
  • 487A53A8-F0B8-48A8-A8FC-17E74C034854.jpeg
    487A53A8-F0B8-48A8-A8FC-17E74C034854.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 35
Thats quite a score! Congrats!! $5 is a steal...it must feel really good finding that one in person!
Oh it did feel great...but my brain literally took like a minute or two to realize what it was. “Oh this is heavy, it feels real dense. Oh man and it’s smooth, it looks like an Arkansas...oh look here it’s an old behr Norton...and it says hard! OMGoodness...I have to get the wife and pay for it so they don’t change their mind!”

What are your feelings on the Natural whetstone trans blacks? I’m really tempted by them but i don’t think I’ll gain anything over my jet black Dans
I have a very good 10x3 from NW but it came as a diamond in a the rough and I put hours of lapping to get it where it is today.

Oh it did feel great...but my brain literally took like a minute or two to realize what it was. “Oh this is heavy, it feels real dense. Oh man and it’s smooth, it looks like an Arkansas...oh look here it’s an old behr Norton...and it says hard! OMGoodness...I have to get the wife and pay for it so they don’t change their mind!”
Looks like a goodwill find. A lot of those places the people pricing don't know what they really have when they price it. I've found things that should be 80 or 100 dollars for 3 dollars before... Nice score BTW....

Looks like a goodwill find. A lot of those places the people pricing don't know what they really have when they price it. I've found things that should be 80 or 100 dollars for 3 dollars before... Nice score BTW....
yeah, i've tried goodwill for a long time, unfortunately all of the ones around here price them like they THINK they're worth. find a norton indian stone for $60...

yeah, i've tried goodwill for a long time, unfortunately all of the ones around here price them like they THINK they're worth. find a norton indian stone for $60...
I assumed it came from goodwill because the price sticker looks like either theirs or salvation army....

I purchased the soft Ark. in the early 70's originally to sharpen my hunting knives. I started to shave with a straight razor in the mid 70's and soon realized someone had to hone my razors thus logically that someone was me. A soft ark. is a porous stone and was great for aligning the edge however rendering it not ready to shave with. Enter the hard black Ark which I purchased in the mid 70's or there bouts to finish the process. Then onto a pasted strop and finish on the leather portion. This has worked for me for years now. Are there better stones to perform this job? Perhaps. Do I care to find out? Why? If it works why try to fix it? That's my story and I'm stickin to it.
DSCI0780.JPG

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I purchased the soft Ark. in the early 70's originally to sharpen my hunting knives. I started to shave with a straight razor in the mid 70's and soon realized someone had to hone my razors thus logically that someone was me. A soft ark. is a porous stone and was great for aligning the edge however rendering it not ready to shave with. Enter the hard black Ark which I purchased in the mid 70's or there bouts to finish the process. Then onto a pasted strop and finish on the leather portion. This has worked for me for years now. Are there better stones to perform this job? Perhaps. Do I care to find out? Why? If it works why try to fix it? That's my story and I'm stickin to it.View attachment 1130184
Nice stones. The War Eagle arks are really good stones.

I purchased the soft Ark. in the early 70's originally to sharpen my hunting knives. I started to shave with a straight razor in the mid 70's and soon realized someone had to hone my razors thus logically that someone was me. A soft ark. is a porous stone and was great for aligning the edge however rendering it not ready to shave with. Enter the hard black Ark which I purchased in the mid 70's or there bouts to finish the process. Then onto a pasted strop and finish on the leather portion. This has worked for me for years now. Are there better stones to perform this job? Perhaps. Do I care to find out? Why? If it works why try to fix it? That's my story and I'm stickin to it.View attachment 1130184

Awesome! So you use only 2 stones? A soft and hard Arkie? I assume you spent a lot of time on the Black Arkie?

I just got my Black Arkansas from Dan's to go along with the Translucent I got last month, and complete my set. After deburring and giving it a good washing with Dawn, I gave my GD Mod 208 some laps on it after the trans :thumbsup:
View attachment 1130393

Do you think using the Black Arkie after the Trans will add keenness? I was always told there isn’t much difference. That’s the reason I bought the Trans from Dan’s. You will have to keep us updated on what you think the edge feels like.

Just got my first Ark it's a Surgical Black from Dan's. I had a few straight razors honed by Mark Dayoc and he used a Dan's Surgical Black Ark for a finisher and I just loved the edge it gave such a BBS close comfortable shave that I ordered one for myself. Last week I honed my very first razor with it and got a great finish with the Black Ark love the finish these stones produce.
20200618_124116.jpg

20200720_074450.jpg

Just got my first Ark it's a Surgical Black from Dan's. I had a few straight razors honed by Mark Dayoc and he used a Dan's Surgical Black Ark for a finisher and I just loved the edge it gave such a BBS close comfortable shave that I ordered one for myself. Last week I honed my very first razor with it and got a great finish with the Black Ark love the finish these stones produce.
View attachment 1130619
View attachment 1130621

Let us know how it shaves. I am awaiting my Trans Arkie.

Top Bottom