What's new

Arkansas Love...Let's see those Arks!

Arkansas Novaculite is almost 100% abrasive material. Higher Density indicates smaller gaps in the abrasive material. The gaps are what does the cutting. It's not absolutely guaranteed, but in general with novaculites of the same origin, higher SG equates to a finer cutting stone.

Yes, I understand that but as you say it is "almost". You don't know what is giving it the extra weight.
Perhaps too much concern about SG as opposed to abrasive material.
I have used my HGH in lieu of an Arkansas for a while now as it is more dense, behaves the same but cuts quicker.
I wonder about Charnleys now, are they more dense?
Anything super dense I would think to be slower but possible finer. IDK. Just thinking.

What's HGH?

Almost in this case means well over 99%... so while the 1% (other) can have an impact, since it tends to always be mostly the same elements and is a fraction of a percent... it's not very significant. SG is a very accurate measure of dead space in an arkansas stone.

Technically I believe Arkansas are 100% quartz, the quartz is minimum 99% SiliconDioxide

Hgh. Came from its namesake

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200421-201941_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200421-201941_Chrome.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Lol, Tim, that's brilliant. Forgot Bouyancy force let you do that.

Thanks, most of the stones I check are vintage/antiques/relics with dings and chips. Buoyancy give a more accurate report than measuring in cubic mm. Most of my labeled or boxed Washita are in the 2.10-2.25 range. My Trans stones and SB’s are in the 2.6-2.75 range. One of my top ten, a Porcelain White Novaculite is 2.81. That is my densest Ark, takes some effort, but what a edge

98BCDAE6-3848-40E0-9AFA-6A62858333EF.jpeg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Any objections to the Ark fans if we merge this thread with the finally bought an Ark thread? (Link below)
There's good info in both threads and I thought it would be good to consolidate them.

Yeah, this is definitely getting more reasonable results... basically every trans or SB I've got is 2.66 SG now.

Butterscotch: 2.66
SB: 2.66
Trans Black 2.67

And my softest unlabeled washita (RR looking): 2.01 (was 1.97 using rulers to calculate)
Boxed RR: 1.98 (was 1.96)
Other Washita: 2.18, 2.25, 2.17, 2.33, 2.06, 2.15x2, 2.30, 2.36, 2.26x2, 2.28, 2.22

Crazy hard translucent red Washita: 2.45

And the ugly hard/semitrans pocket stone: 2.53

Last edited:
Buoyancy force is equal to the weight of the water displaced which I think is different than the weight in water?
GSA=A/ (A - weight in water)

Yes, and we're measuring the amount of water displaced.

By suspending the stone not touching the bottom, but submerged, you are balancing it so that it affects the scale exactly as much as the water it is displacing (the string suspending it supports its remaining weight) would have. Since water is 1g/ml @ STP... the weight increase is exactly the volume of the stone in ml.

You then divide the stones mass by that value to get the SG.

I feel pretty dumb after doing the water displacement measurement on 2 stones (hard and trans both same size).

I weighed them dry and got about 20 grams difference between them.
I was measuring displacement and they were barely a gram apart. what? I spent a good 30 seconds trying to figure out what i did wrong to get these measurements wrong. Did i measure the same one twice? which one did i just measure, i know i switched the rocks out. hmm.. did i write down the wrong measurement for the wrong stone. I mean how hard is it to hang 2 identical sized stones in water from floss and record the measurement.

The Hard measured at 2.47 and the Translucent measured in at 2.65

Yeah, my translucents are pretty much all locked in right at 2.65-2.67 now that I'm using displacement to accurately measure volume.

Whats everyones thoughts on Glycerine and water mix vs other honing oils? Is that good enough, or should look for something else. I am not a fan of the heavy oil smell but w. grab some if it works better. This current set currently smells like oil, I would prefer to simple green them all and start with a light lapping. Then start fresh with a new lube, what say all of you?

You'll have to let me know your thoughts on the hard.

I’ve spent a lot of time these last 3 days on the hard ark, I didnt dress the sirface outside of a ton of laps with all sorts of pressure (low and high), but i can see/feel the conditioning of the surface significantly. Not sure how more conditioning the surface can take, but I am assuming a bunch more before it’s maxed out.

i like the feedback, and after the hours and hours of honing laps seems to cut with swarf before the junpaku 8000 and polish after, both on water. Does that sound appropriate? Or am i missing something b/c of my low exposure so far.

i’m not seeing any microchipping or wired edges off the HA with pressure yet, don’t know if i should expect that.

...laps seems to cut with swarf before the junpaku 8000 and polish after, both on water. Does that sound appropriate?

I was just honing in these 2 arks again thinking about this statement. It doesn't make sense to me, but i am pretty sure that's what happened. I need to state it gain.. off the 5000 chosera, the Hard still cut and i saw swarf, after the 8000 junpako, i did not. That makes more sense to me..

The latest trial I was honing what looks like a shave ready edge off a messed up grelot 151 i hadn't touched in a while. someone decided to grind way into the shoulder of this 6/8, looks like when it comes back from the knife grinders situations, and now with the wear it's a 15.3 degree angle so i figured couldn't hurt to give this a Hard to Translucent progression. This time used windex or a 50/50 windex/water solution and the feedback couldn't be anymore different than just water. edge looks great. (i tried a drop of dish soap, felt way slippery, but it always ends up getting under my thumb on the tang )

I think i read somewhere from one of you that the arkansas edge is sharp, but that doesn't want to break the skin. I have felt that last 2 days, a bit of softness, but i was expecting to feel something different, maybe a bit more sharpness, idk why.

Top Bottom