What's new

Arkansas Love...Let's see those Arks!

So how do you get these special stones from Dan’s? I’ve emailed them a couple times in the past and only heard crickets.

I reached out to them on facebook and got a response within minutes, they usually respond faster on facebook messenger then through email.

Practiced on the on my large Dans black Arkansas today.....golden dollars are awesome to practice with! The stone has more teeth than expected, I wonder what grit dans lapps them to?

Hi,

I grabbed this little tank to see how the older blacks "feel". I am seeking suggestions how to round this corner. Thank you

Attachments

• 27792016-Unknown (1).JPG
    27792016-Unknown (1).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 27792064-Unknown (2).JPG
    27792064-Unknown (2).JPG
  • 27792096-Unknown (1).JPG
    27792096-Unknown (1).JPG
Stoneseeker, them stones from Dan's are not ready for a razor. A lapping and then a light burnishing will improve them.
The corner of your stone can be rounded with about any abrasive you have, sand paper, diamond plate ect. The slack side of a belt sander works pretty good. Just plan on it trashing belts or diamond plates and a dust mask is for sure in order with a belt sander.

Anyone ever seen this label on a Washita before?

I can make out the word USA, and it appears to be a circle on a black background near the center of the top of the box that houses an eight by two stone.

Attachments

• B7188365-912B-46EA-9DC8-98FADA3C87C7.jpeg
    B7188365-912B-46EA-9DC8-98FADA3C87C7.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 35

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I couldn’t turn down that Norton Soft/trans combo stone. I don’t recall seeing many of those

David

That’s a knife tamer right there, Tim. Love the size on that one.

David

Man I used to know those dates but can’t remember for sure anymore. Just guessing late 50’s? That’s just a guess. @Gamma could probably tell you pretty close to when it was made.

Neither are Norton. Both are, I believe, from a vein located in the Fancy Hill quarry that was exhausted long ago. The one in front I've had since the 80s, the other is more recent addition.
wwo!
HOw do they differ from 50's black nortons? And to the modern dans?

Top Bottom