What's new

Arkansas Love...Let's see those Arks!

I'd like to have a rectangular piece of rubber about 8x3 and about 3/4 inch thick to put my white Ark on when I hone. These are not easily found.

Sounds like the base included with the SG20k. Not sure if Suehiro includes those rubber bases with their less expensive hones or as a separate purchase but something possibly worth considering.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sounds like the base included with the SG20k. Not sure if Suehiro includes those rubber bases with their less expensive hones or as a separate purchase but something possibly worth considering.

Not entirely sure I know what you're talking about?

I found this on Amazon but...

proxy.php

It's more complicated than I need (by far) and costs $50.

Also found this...

proxy.php

Which costs only $28.

And this...

proxy.php

Not 100% sure what this last one is and whether it's the right size. $26. Amazon.

These what you're talking about or is there something else?

Last edited:
I found this on Amazon but...

proxy.php

It's more complicated than I need (by far) and costs $50.
Might be more than you need, but it’s pretty cool. I got this one with my Suehiro DUAL 800/6K.

0437FD42-FDE4-4BFF-B97A-9F6BF72E7ED3.jpeg

The base works ok, but it’s not the best - it’s not a solid bottom which would be nice. My little carpet system works better. But who knows how long that rug system will last.

Here’s the bottom.

77702FB4-3854-432F-AB34-F653727DE1AA.jpeg

Not entirely sure I know what you're talking about?

I found this on Amazon

And this...

proxy.php

Not 100% sure what this last one is and whether it's the right size. $26. Amazon.

These what you're talking about or is there something else?

This last rubber block with an indent to hold the stone loosely in place is what Suehiro includes with their 20k hone. Works great for their hone. I also have a few basic screw-down type stone holders that work well, too. One has been dedicated to holding my DMT8c (325) lapping plate.

One of my new stones is a white translucent convex Arkansas 8x3. It's a Norton stone and came in a Norton plastic box (much like the SS and Chosera and Shapton boxes). I'm currently used a standard adjustable stone holder to use the stone. It definitely needs something to elevate it as the stone is only a half inch thick or maybe less. I tried the Norton box but didn't like it. The hone holder is okay but not ideal.

I'd like to have a rectangular piece of rubber about 8x3 and about 3/4 inch thick to put my white Ark on when I hone. These are not easily found.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Look at tomo nagura rubber pads/“gator pads”. I can’t remember how wide they are but probably close to 3”.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Soooo, you’re looking at the guy that turned down a BIN for 275 on that giant trans that just sold for 550. :18:

What a maroon!

But seriously $275 would’ve been thumbs down for me at the time, and $550 still seems excessive.
Maybe it’s time we all start badmouthing arks on here and talk up something else instead. JNATs seem to have no price ceiling and plenty of room on the bandwagon...

To be fair, While the stones worth about what it sold for If you already have an Arkansas that size like you and I do, I would say 250 to 350 is about where I put its value. Just rarity is Why it’s fetching a lot more than that, and it’s hard to justify buying it just for the rarity if it’s not something that you need for use.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
To be fair, While the stones worth about what it sold for If you already have an Arkansas that size like you and I do, I would say 250 to 350 is about where I put its value. Just rarity is Why it’s fetching a lot more than that, and it’s hard to justify buying it just for the rarity if it’s not something that you need for use.
True enough. My guess is that went to a collector or a woodworker. Woodworkers will generally pay more for stones than razor guys from what I’ve seen.

Yup. In my defense I was on my phone and couldn’t tell a whole lot about the stone, and it wasn’t until later that he added the better pics of light shining through, but still, that one will sting for a while. That dude needs to send me my commission. Lol
You have no idea how often I’ve put stones in my basket, not pulled the trigger, then discover they’re re-listed and sell for double. Sigh...

I mean I really want a translucent ark. In the worst way, but the Dutch in me always stops me. To this day I can’t justify why I’d get one with the two awesome blacks that I have...

Last edited:
About to order a black and trans black from Natural Whetstone and maybe a soft, my OCD doesn't like my Dan's soft being a different size from the 8x3 sizes I am ordering. Got a washita turkey stone on the way as well . Hopefully it's coarse for bevels.

Last edited:
Top Bottom