What's new

Arkansas Love...Let's see those Arks!

How hard is it? Like old hard (meaning maybe hard black translucent level hard) or new hard (meaning not as hard as current hard black)? It is all so confusing...

A hard black will definitely finish a blade. A (current) hard won't.
It’s a vintage hard black so it looks to be a good one.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
It is Ark day today
This was a unexpected score today. Stopped by one of my honey hole junk shops and they had this waiting for me. A primitive translucent Ark in a true 2x4 carved base. It is 6 inches at its longest, 3 inches wide and about 1 1/4 thick. Even covered it funk, a light shines about 1/2” thru at the edge. It will go into the dip for a extended swim to see what is there.

C8956C6C-A093-47A6-84B3-EEB26611FFBE.jpeg
B25C9A95-C3E6-438D-B291-152054D56E64.jpeg
D90D8985-B617-4E58-919C-FB66A126E69F.jpeg
EB4A2924-D19C-462E-BE40-A35A460DC88C.jpeg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Nice score, Tim. Can’t wait to see how it looks after the bath.

It is Ark day today
This was a unexpected score today. Stopped by one of my honey hole junk shops and they had this waiting for me. A primitive translucent Ark in a true 2x4 carved base. It is 6 inches at its longest, 3 inches wide and about 1 1/4 thick. Even covered it funk, a light shines about 1/2” thru at the edge. It will go into the dip for a extended swim to see what is there.

View attachment 997785 View attachment 997786 View attachment 997787 View attachment 997788

I’m jealous
That’s a great looking stone!
I have a thing for primitives!

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Nice that looks awesome!! Looking forward to the after pictures!

Nice score, Tim. Can’t wait to see how it looks after the bath.

I’m jealous
That’s a great looking stone!
I have a thing for primitives!

Thanks Gents. It will be in a a bath until I get back from a working vacation at the end of the month. Looking forward to see what is under the funk

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I think you’re the only one of us all that owns a devil rock. :lol:

Very nice collection you have there.

Here’s an “Arkansas Hack” (assuming you care lol) I recently stubbled upon for anyone who has “traditional” Arks in boxes like I do. I mean sure we all have a rock holder, but all the screwing and unscrewing. Well that’s one thing, finding a rock holder for an 11.5 long rock is another. So here’s what I did after I got some carpet holder stuff over at the hardware store to make the boxes the holders.

This rug stuff:

F22470C1-F542-4637-9A94-C0A7DBE71088.jpeg

The application:

1C1AF727-769F-4F8C-8B4F-BFEB0E8C942A.jpeg

The outcome:

D3B9DB72-E2A1-4056-86FF-5873E238765D.jpeg

Works great!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Here’s an “Arkansas Hack” (assuming you care lol) I recently stubbled upon for anyone who has “traditional” Arks in boxes like I do. I mean sure we all have a rock holder, but all the screwing and unscrewing. Well that’s one thing, finding a rock holder for an 11.5 long rock is another. So here’s what I did after I got some carpet holder stuff over at the hardware store to make the boxes the holders.

This rug stuff:

View attachment 1002047

The application:

View attachment 1002046

The outcome:

View attachment 1002048

Works great!

Nice idea and well executed I think.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thank you. I’m genuinely happy with how well it’s working out for me. I haven’t pulled out my rock holder since I did that. . Works well.

One of my new stones is a white translucent convex Arkansas 8x3. It's a Norton stone and came in a Norton plastic box (much like the SS and Chosera and Shapton boxes). I'm currently used a standard adjustable stone holder to use the stone. It definitely needs something to elevate it as the stone is only a half inch thick or maybe less. I tried the Norton box but didn't like it. The hone holder is okay but not ideal.

I'd like to have a rectangular piece of rubber about 8x3 and about 3/4 inch thick to put my white Ark on when I hone. These are not easily found.

Happy shaves,

Jim

One of my new stones is a white translucent convex Arkansas 8x3. It's a Norton stone and came in a Norton plastic box (much like the SS and Chosera and Shapton boxes). I'm currently used a standard adjustable stone holder to use the stone. It definitely needs something to elevate it as the stone is only a half inch thick or maybe less. I tried the Norton box but didn't like it. The hone holder is okay but not ideal.

I'd like to have a rectangular piece of rubber about 8x3 and about 3/4 inch thick to put my white Ark on when I hone. These are not easily found.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Tell me about it. Thats what I was looking fore before I came up with my solution. The best I could find is typing in “pot resters” into Amazon.

Good luck! If you find a solution, let us know.

Top Bottom