What's new

Arkansas Finish - Wanting a sharper edge

The past couple weeks, I haven't really used the Arkansas stones often because I'm just focusing on the bevel setting. I've set the bevel on couple of razors but there were couple that I could not set.

Couple things that are important to me: the steel and the geometry. I think I prefer softer steels and obviously well aligned geometry. I have couple warped blades that I could not set the bevel for my life. And a near wedge.. that thing has too much steel and the bevel width doesn't seem to get thinner. I've had success with GDs and Geneva Cutlery, and one Solingen. I've been really digging the Geneva blades... Two of them seem well aligned and take a hell of an edge.

My Black Ark will see its light some day but because I spend a lot of time on one, I make sure the bevel is set beforehand. My idea of the Finishing Ark is like cherry on top; gives it that nice slicing action without biting you.

The past couple weeks, I haven't really used the Arkansas stones often because I'm just focusing on the bevel setting. I've set the bevel on couple of razors but there were couple that I could not set.

Couple things that are important to me: the steel and the geometry. I think I prefer softer steels and obviously well aligned geometry. I have couple warped blades that I could not set the bevel for my life. And a near wedge.. that thing has too much steel and the bevel width doesn't seem to get thinner. I've had success with GDs and Geneva Cutlery, and one Solingen. I've been really digging the Geneva blades... Two of them seem well aligned and take a hell of an edge.

My Black Ark will see its light some day but because I spend a lot of time on one, I make sure the bevel is set beforehand. My idea of the Finishing Ark is like cherry on top; gives it that nice slicing action without biting you.
Good to hear you're still at it. You have the right idea. You have to go to a black ark with a pretty decent shave ready edge to begin with. Sounds like you've got a hold on that. I agree that geneva razors are quite good and usually forgiving to hone (at least for me). Wedges and near wedges bring their own unique issues to the table. If you aren't using tape yet, look into it for wedge blades. You may to experiment there too. I finally got one of my near wedge razors (a boker) in rather good shave shape after using 2 pieces of tape on the spine instead of one. I have a frederick reynolds wedge t hat behaves a little better with 3 pieces of tape. My theory is the steel is honestly too soft for a razor, and the steeper bevel angle given by the added spine thickness finds the sweet spot of sharpness without destroying the super soft edge in 3 shaves...

Just keep at it. Keep experimenting, try different methods. I'm not some old hat, I've only been honing razors a couple of years. Just long enough that I can put at least decent edges on most razors. You will learn things that improve your game. Just as I still do. I got my best tree topping results ever on a razor today. I usually pop a few hairs here and there with the blade held 1/4 to 1/2 inch off my arm. Today I did this test and there were literally dozens of hairs still resting on the razor going a half forearm length. I've never had a razor do that before. The change? I dressed my black ark aggressively with 800 grit w/d, did 100 laps, burnished the stone a bit with a piece of flat steel, then did 300 more laps while progressively using less and less pressure. The last 50 laps I focused on using just barely enough pressure to ensure the entire bevel made contact with the stone. Time consuming? Absolutely! Have I ever had the blade seemingly tree top every single hair it came in contact with for the entire length of the edge? Not before today...

Last edited:
Good to hear you're still at it. You have the right idea. You have to go to a black ark with a pretty decent shave ready edge to begin with. Sounds like you've got a hold on that. I agree that geneva razors are quite good and usually forgiving to hone (at least for me). Wedges and near wedges bring their own unique issues to the table. If you aren't using tape yet, look into it for wedge blades. You may to experiment there too. I finally got one of my near wedge razors (a boker) in rather good shave shape after using 2 pieces of tape on the spine instead of one. I have a frederick reynolds wedge t hat behaves a little better with 3 pieces of tape. My theory is the steel is honestly too soft for a razor, and the steeper bevel angle given by the added spine thickness finds the sweet spot of sharpness without destroying the super soft edge in 3 shaves...

Just keep at it. Keep experimenting, try different methods. I'm not some old hat, I've only been honing razors a couple of years. Just long enough that I can put at least decent edges on most razors. You will learn things that improve your game. Just as I still do. I got my best tree topping results ever on a razor today. I usually pop a few hairs here and there with the blade held 1/4 to 1/2 inch off my arm. Today I did this test and there were literally dozens of hairs still resting on the razor going a half forearm length. I've never had a razor do that before. The change? I dressed my black ark aggressively with 800 grit w/d, did 100 laps, burnished the stone a bit with a piece of flat steel, then did 300 more laps while progressively using less and less pressure. The last 50 laps I focused on using just barely enough pressure to ensure the entire bevel made contact with the stone. Time consuming? Absolutely! Have I ever had the blade seemingly tree top every single hair it came in contact with for the entire length of the edge? Not before today...
Thanks. I did try 2 tapes for my near wedge and it improved the edge a lot. In fact, the edge wasn't even touching the stone without the tapes (don't ask my why haha). I am keeping at it but I am being a little more picky with the razors I get. I really hate getting a razor with a warp in the middle because there's not much I could do about it.

Thanks. I did try 2 tapes for my near wedge and it improved the edge a lot. In fact, the edge wasn't even touching the stone without the tapes (don't ask my why haha). I am keeping at it but I am being a little more picky with the razors I get. I really hate getting a razor with a warp in the middle because there's not much I could do about it.
If you're honing vintage blades, half the battle is picking out a blade that's salvageable in the first place. Learned that lesson the hard way lol.

If you're honing vintage blades, half the battle is picking out a blade that's salvageable in the first place. Learned that lesson the hard way lol.
If anyone has learned that lesson the easy way, I have not heard about it yet. I have a "drawer of shame," really just the back part of a drawer, that contains the razors I might be able to salvage someday. Some were me being too optimistic about visible problems. Some were bad judgment calls about black spots. Some were me falling for blurry pictures. If I run out of projects, I will breach that drawer and see if I can turning anything there to a shaver.

If anyone has learned that lesson the easy way, I have not heard about it yet. I have a "drawer of shame," really just the back part of a drawer, that contains the razors I might be able to salvage someday. Some were me being too optimistic about visible problems. Some were bad judgment calls about black spots. Some were me falling for blurry pictures. If I run out of projects, I will breach that drawer and see if I can turning anything there to a shaver.
I have one of those, I call it the drawer of broken promises.

I have a 100% failure rate with vintage razors. I got one MK32 that was probably overheated on a buffer. Since then i have been getting NOS or new razors. I might have another go at it someday.
Aww you can't give up after one bad experience. A lot of your lessons learned come from the first few purchases. You're like halfway there already.

Last honing session, I finished couple of my razors on my Black Arkansas stone, 250 laps for my Geneva Cutlery and 300 laps for my Richware straight.

Geneva Cutlery cut pretty well but it felt like it was missing the last 5-10% of the edge sharpness. I'm sure the bevel is set so I might do some touch up from 8K on and see if that improves.

The Richware straight, the edge came out perfect. I had a shave with it today and it was buttery smooth and sharp as I'd like it. I had doubts about the Black Ark before but this proves that I can get a great edge with it.

Again, the more I hone, the more I realize most of the work is done at the synthetic level. Arkansas just gives it that extra smoothness and a touch more keenness.

I have a 100% failure rate with vintage razors. I got one MK32 that was probably overheated on a buffer. Since then i have been getting NOS or new razors. I might have another go at it someday.
I have never owned a new razor.

I look at some of the problems people have with the new razors and their grinds and I think maybe the older razors were made by more skilled workers. Maybe I'm wrong about that I don't know for sure.

I like to hone and I can get a large handful of vintage for the cost of one new razor. There are some problem vintage razors for sure but most hone up pretty straight forward.

I look at some of the problems people have with the new razors and their grinds and I think maybe the older razors were made by more skilled workers. Maybe I'm wrong about that I don't know for sure.

I like to hone and I can get a large handful of vintage for the cost of one new razor. There are some problem vintage razors for sure but most hone up pretty straight forward.
I will probably get some old blades one day to work on. I understand the appeal, especially if there is some history you can trace back to it.

I guess I have been lucky with the new razors I got.
They are like wine, they seem to improve with age:)
Some of them are more then 10 years old. Maybe that qualifies as vintage..

I will probably get some old blades one day to work on. I understand the appeal, especially if there is some history you can trace back to it.

I guess I have been lucky with the new razors I got.
They are like wine, they seem to improve with age:)
Some of them are more then 10 years old. Maybe that qualifies as vintage..
I will probably have to wade into the new razor end of the pool at some point. I am curious to know how the steel, heat treat stacks up.

90% of anything you can own was made by more skilled craftsmen 100 years ago. The quality of goods has really taken a dive over the last century. I hate New stuff.

It is a recipe that was shared with me by a long time rock collector and honer. Him and another prominent Arkansas guy came up with it. I gave some to @R7photo and he seems to enjoy it too.
I can verify this mix is pure gold and works amazingly, better than anything I’ve experienced,, the edges off a my Surgical blk are sureal,, was getting amazing edges but this mix from Wid, is phenomenal in use and performance, and my current edges are sublime,,, thx Wid
I can tell years of knowledge and experience are in this mix, love using it
AB9F2611-214D-49A0-B5FD-75C861FA3BA0.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom