What's new

Arkansas Bench Stone

Sorry I just had to buy these 2, now the fun begins what's the best way to lap. And do you just use water to hone on or oil.

Right here is the first one.
10 inch Surgical Black Arkansas Bench Stone shipped in from Germany

Surgical Black Arkansas Bench Stone2.jpg
Surgical Black Arkansas Bench Stone1.jpg

And the Second one 8 inch Translucent Arkansas.

Arkansas Translucent 1.jpg
Arkansas Translucent 2.jpg

The second one I had to ship from the states as it was way cheaper.

So any help on using these, all welcome

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Very nice! I think that to my eye the Transark is the prettiest stone around. There’s all sorts of gorgeous naturals with gorgeous patterns and such but the Trans just has a really subtle yet pretty look to it. That’s just me, though!

Depending on the accuracy of the SB claim, you should be able to hone with any medium you want to. Some like honing oil, others like honing solutions that are technically not 'oil' but are the same thing to me. On that class of Ark, I prefer water mixed with a dot of soap and/or (occasionally) a dab of glycerine.

I use straight water most times. Gamma's got it right, you can use anything you desire.
Very lovely stones.

You have 2 really nice stones there... So when are the "Soft" and "Hard" stones supposed to arrive? You know they eventually will... :em2300:

Well I have been 3 days now trying to lap the Surgical Black, and yes its bloody hard but I have got it down to the very ends that's low to within the last 6mm. So that's as close as I'm going to get as i don't use the last half inch,

Depending on the accuracy of the SB claim, you should be able to hone with any medium you want to. Some like honing oil, others like honing solutions that are technically not 'oil' but are the same thing to me. On that class of Ark, I prefer water mixed with a dot of soap and/or (occasionally) a dab of glycerine.

Thanks Gamma!! I will go with the water mixed with a dot of soap or a dab of glycerine as I don't really want to use oil if I can help it.

You have 2 really nice stones there... So when are the "Soft" and "Hard" stones supposed to arrive? You know they eventually will... :em2300:

Not sure as I have my wetstone's I was going to use these for the finishers, But one never knows if that makes any logic.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Well I have been 3 days now trying to lap the Surgical Black, and yes its bloody hard but I have got it down to the very ends that's low to within the last 6mm.

That's why I have stuck with Dan's. Not enough free time in my schedule to spend hours lapping stones. I'll pay the little extra for Dan to do it.

Not sure as I have my wetstone's I was going to use these for the finishers, But one never knows if that makes any logic.
Well I have a full progression of whetstone's and my plan is to sell them off. I am hooked on my Ark's. I was adjusting some of my previous bevels this evening and the "Soft" Ark did a fantastic job.

And the "Translucent" and "Black" Ark's polished the edge for a great edge.

Awesome!
I love my Arkansas, but I like all my other as well. Love having the options of different edges/finishers/combinations.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
+1 options are good when it comes to honing razors, or any edge tools for that matter.

Oh come on guys this is just poking a wasps nest, over here a soft Ark is 400 to 600 grit, the hard is 8 to 1k unless I ship from the states again.

You just had to poke that big nest now I have 3 on route wife is :2guns: for you:001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:
Soft Arkansas 6" on route
Hard Arkansas 6" on route
Hard Black Arkansas 10" on route
I have the last 2

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Those are nice and take a good burnish after being lapped. Not quite on par with the Surgical Blacks but still a capable finisher.

Those are nice and take a good burnish after being lapped. Not quite on par with the Surgical Blacks but still a capable finisher.

Yes The Surgical Black is a fantastic stone along with the trans ark, but I'm after the progression
I just need the soft Ark to turn up then i have the full set.

Soft Arkansas 6" on route
Hard Arkansas 6" 800-1000 grit
Hard Black Arkansas 10" 2000-3000 grit
Surgical Black Arkansas 10" 4000-6000 grit
Arkansas Translucent Extra fine 6" 8000-10.000 grit

I have had to get some Silicon Carbide 400 and 1200 grit, as the Surgical Black has killed my DMT lapping plate. 10 sheets wet and dry unless any one has any ideas as what else to use.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Every Arkansas Oilstone enthusiast ought to have at least one Washita. Just sayin....

On the lapping, SIC is definitely the way to go for the grunt work.

I’m trying to lap my Canadian novaculite stone as well so I feel your pain. It’s the hardest stone I have ever dealt with. I’m 4h into it and can’t count the sheets of wet/dry I’ve gone through. Good luck and beautiful stones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom