What's new

Aristocrat dating?

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I can't find the Aristocrat in the shavewiki page on production dates for Gillettes. Could somebody point me in the right direction? Also, I have one Aristocrat that's gold colored (very good condition, with case, no procution date) and one that's the same basic nickel plate color as other Gillettes (near-mint condtion, no case, Z1 production date). What's the difference between the two? And what are they worth? Thanks.

Mr-razor.com is the best source. There are several nuances, so look carefully at stamps and knurling. Also there have been a number of posts here about identifying Aristocrats, so you might also try the search function. Have fun researching!

BTW, Rick, your Z1 model might just be a 1954 Gillette President. Those had a nickel head and a rhodium-plated handle, and they were styled very much like the late-40s Aristocrat/Diplomat models. You can look these up on our BST forum (or search the completed listings on eBay) to get an idea of valuation. They're all fairly valuable, depending on condition and casing. The 'Crat is a little more common, so the Diplomats and Presidents tend to fetch a 2-3 times higher price, roughly speaking.

BTW, Rick, your Z1 model might just be a 1954 Gillette President. Those had a nickel head and a rhodium-plated handle, and they were styled very much like the late-40s Aristocrat/Diplomat models. You can look these up on our BST forum (or search the completed listings on eBay) to get an idea of valuation. They're all fairly valuable, depending on condition and casing. The 'Crat is a little more common, so the Diplomats and Presidents tend to fetch a 2-3 times higher price, roughly speaking.

+1 :thumbup: Congrats on owning a President. Many collectors are still looking for one of those and you're sitting on one!

You know, I thought the handle on the President looked way too shiny to be nickel. I've been bugging this one antique/collectibles guy for many patient months and I guess my persistence really paid off! Can't wait to learn more about these two shavers. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
There were two types of Presidents made. One with a fully knurled handle and one with a smooth band on the bottom but otherwise they were identical to Aristocrats (except for plating, of course).

1953 (Y2) President
proxy.php

1953 (Y1) President
proxy.php

Ironhammer, thanks for posting those great pics. That 1953 President looks just like mine so that does make it a 1954. Are you sure that only the handle was rhodium plated? The top on mine is the shiniest head I've ever seen on any Gillette DE.

Only the handle was rhodium. The head is nickel. All of the sources I have read state that. The head really does shine like no other nickel plating I have seen on a Gillette. I don't know why other than perhaps Gillette used a purer grade of plating. The only other US made Gillette that was rhodium plated was the 1950 Executive and it was 100% rhodium. Very, very rare, that one.

I shaved with my President this morning and I will again in the morning. I simply cannot explain why it shaves smoother than my Aristocrat, but it does.

Only the handle was rhodium. The head is nickel. All of the sources I have read state that. The head really does shine like no other nickel plating I have seen on a Gillette. I don't know why other than perhaps Gillette used a purer grade of plating.

+1. It's a very bright nickel finish on the Prez's head, and thickly plated. I think the Ranger Tech got a similar treatment all over.

I shaved with my President this morning and I will again in the morning. I simply cannot explain why it shaves smoother than my Aristocrat, but it does.

OK, I'm excited now! I just revisited my 'Crat on Monday evening, and it was quite the lovely shave. My lately-acquired Prez is scheduled for debut on Monday next.

I recently bought a 1953 President from one the forum members. It has the knurled ring style. I have to say it is a real nice looking razor, that has been giving me some fine shaves. I may not be able to afford a '53 Cadillac, but I own a '53 Gillette President ; )

I recently bought a 1953 President from one the forum members. It has the knurled ring style. I have to say it is a real nice looking razor, that has been giving me some fine shaves. I may not be able to afford a '53 Cadillac, but I own a '53 Gillette President ; )

Haha! That's what I love about this hobby. It's relatively affordable. Relative, that is, to collecting vintage cars! Shaved with my President again this morning. I am LOVING this razor!

I have a '55 President or '54, which has the knurled band and it's a great shaver. Just got a '53 Aristocrat this AM and it's a terrific shaver as well. Damn I'm lovin' this.

Top Bottom