What's new

Aristocrat #66 Rhodium Fix?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Friends, I scored this at a decent (not great) price from the Bay. The plating on the head and baseplate is spectacular. But the handle looks like it’s been in @Dragonsbeard ’s now famous ‘Crat Battle’ (and got destroyed!) Is this simply brass coming through the rhodium, or something else? Other than a partial replate, is there anything that can ‘fix’ this?

Attachments

• 8E463CE6-1614-4CE8-A619-38A6F246F561.jpeg
    8E463CE6-1614-4CE8-A619-38A6F246F561.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • 62A5110E-5000-4964-ACB8-4FCE8C306C96.jpeg
    62A5110E-5000-4964-ACB8-4FCE8C306C96.jpeg
    960.7 KB · Views: 47

Hannah's Dad

A better lighting picture.

Attachments

• 6BB34D51-187C-490C-A776-E5FE55CD2166.jpeg
    6BB34D51-187C-490C-A776-E5FE55CD2166.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
Friends, I scored this at a decent (not great) price from the Bay. The plating on the head and baseplate is spectacular. But the handle looks like it’s been in @Dragonsbeard ’s now famous ‘Crat Battle’ (and got destroyed!) Is this simply brass coming through the rhodium, or something else? Other than a partial replate, is there anything that can ‘fix’ this?
I’m afraid a selective plating job is the only cure. Odd that the head shows almost no wear, but the handle is so worn. Might not have been perfectly clean before the original plating went on the handle. Otherwise looks good! Knurling is clean and sharp. Definitely worth thinking about plating the handle.

Hannah's Dad

I’m afraid a selective plating job is the only cure. Odd that the head shows almost no wear, but the handle is so worn. Might not have been perfectly clean before the original plating went on the handle. Otherwise looks good! Knurling is clean and sharp. Definitely worth thinking about plating the handle.
Thanks, Mark. I read an old thread which suggested the #66 might not be all rhodium ... maybe the handle, but not necessarily the head. Perhaps this had a partial replate already? This came from Spain, so anything is possible.

Hannah's Dad

I decided to hit this handle lightly with some Maas Metal Protector. I figured since it is allegedly rhodium, there would be no ‘black’ on the rag ... or so I thought. There was a ton of tarnish as evidenced by a very black rag. And the discoloration appears much subtler. So now I’m confused — is this nickel or rhodium? When I’ve tried to lightly polish other rhodium razors in the past, there was no ‘evidence’ of tarnish. Anyone have any insight? Chris?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
Look gorgeous from this end of the screen! I would just leave it as is and use it if it were mine. Congrats and enjoy! :thumbup:

I had one with similar issues. I talked with Chris about a solution and he said the only solution was a replate. He also shared that it is a common thing with these razors. Welcome to the club.

Hannah's Dad

Look gorgeous from this end of the screen! I would just leave it as is and use it if it were mine. Congrats and enjoy! :thumbup:
Thanks! You’re probably right. Why spend more on it? It will just cease being a bargain.

Hannah's Dad

I had one with similar issues. I talked with Chris about a solution and he said the only solution was a replate. He also shared that it is a common thing with these razors. Welcome to the club.
Thanks, John.

Top Bottom