What's new

Ariana & Evans Ultima base - anyone try it?

(Long response, but not, I hope a rant).
Well, then, this is a whole different matter — the endless one of why pay more for any soap when you can get some solid soaps for around $10-$15? In actuality, of course, a vast number of words are spent on B&B praising soaps that make A&E look, if anything, either right in the same league or cheap at the price. The current A&E line has three basic bases: Pedro Fiasco base at $15/puck, Kaizen at $20; and Ultima at $25. That’s pretty darn middle of the road, comparatively — or cheaper. Just to take a few soaps that are exceedingly popular on this website — both artisanal and larger companies, including the highly popular hard English soaps, but also, say the Castle Forbes cream — as comparators: Grooming Dept $29/puck; Saponificio Varesino $30-$50/puck; Castle Forbes cream $44/puck; Truefitt & Hill $38/puck; GFT $25; Martin de Candre $70/puck; Tallow + Steel $23/puck; Declaration Grooming $22/puck; Abbate Y La Mantra $36/puck; Gentlemen's Nod, $27/puck; Wholly Kaw $30/puck; Ethos $36 or $40/puck. And I could go on: some Zingari at $30; Henri et Victoria at $27; House of Mammoth $25…..etc etc. (Pulled most of these prices from Maggard’s and within any company there could be slightly more or less expensive soaps.)

Some people — heck, many people — are willing to pay more than, say, $10-$15 for a soap/cream because they do find more expensive bases to be better, or to smell particularly nice or provide a combination of quality/scent. The soaps I listed all have their fanatics and can often be found, some even day after day, on shave of the day or in other threads here. My preference is for the quality of the shave and, to me, A&E is in my top rank, along with Canadian Shave, T+S, MWF, SV, Grooming Dept, ADP ($90 a container!). I also like, for instance, the Stirling beeswax unscented, but not other Stirling soaps, though I think the beeswax is, for me, a touch below A&E Kaizen. I’ve tried other $10-$15 soaps but none of them clicked; so, for me, a Wholly Kaw (at $30) or an SV at $40 is indeed worth it. I get great shaves and even, at top end, probably pay about $1-$2 shave. I suspect I pay more for potato chips on a monthly basis than for shaves.

So, it’s all personal. In today's world, one can find darned good soaps at nearly all price points. We each can enjoy trying to find something we think works better. It’s the same debate as to why pay $400 for a brush when a good synthetic can be had for $25 or why pay $600 for, say, a Rocnel or Wolfman razor when other razors are a fraction of the cost. Folks pay top dollars sometimes because they’re searching for what, for them, is the ne plus ultra and also because they could have the funds to indulge at some price points that more expensive. Long posting but the bottom line is that A&E is, I believe, not a particularly expensive soap and, yet, for many (like me) it gives me great shaves, time and time again. I'm sure yet many others, perhaps more, have used A&E and said, "meh, not for me." Everyone's mileage differs, in short. To me, the point of this thread was to try to evaluate a particular base being put out by one particular and fairly popular artisanal soap maker. Still would like to see more responses as to that.
Sterling soap is around $13 a puck and so is Mike’s natural soap, depending on which scent. And are similar quality to his most expensive line which runs about $28.

Since I got back into wet shaving about 4 years ago it seems like A&E have gone through about 4 different bases. Each one is touted as the newest and greatest ever. Personally, I liked the older bases better than the newer ones. The newest seem to leave my skin way over hydrated and oily.

Sorry to be so negative, I actually like quite a few of the A&E scents. Their Vanille de Tabac is even in my avatar. I just get annoyed with all the marketing hype about the "latest and greatest" base. My thought is, if you really know what you're doing as a soap maker, why do you need a new base every year? Come up with something good and stick with it.

A&E is hardly the only guilty party in this respect. They just happened to catch my wrath tonight.

And s

Rant over
I really enjoy A&E soaps, not just performance but also the scents. I disagree about the “high price” argument, as there are many artisan soap makers charging similar prices, or more. Yes, there are probably better values like Stirling or Haslinger, but make no mistake A&E is a top tier soap.

I didn't say anything about the price. I don't have any issue paying what they charge for a good soap. My problem is that they overly hype each new base and seem to be more of a marketing operation than a soap manufacturer.

If they really knew what they were doing there wouldn't be a new base every year. Soap making isn't exactly on the cutting edge of science. It's a mature technology that is well understood. I'm fine with a tweak here and there but to constantly be declaring that the new base is revolutionary is a bit much for me.

I like many of their scents quite a lot, Vanille de Tabac and L'Orange Vert being two favorites. But performance has left me wanting lately. The current stuff leaves my face oily after a shave. I never had that problem 3 or 4 bases ago, and rarely have that problem with any other soaps either. The worst offenders are those that pursue moisturizing above all else.

I bought my first Ultima base today with the Never Alone 3 charity soap from The Razor Company. Looking forward to trying it!
Screenshot_20230909_134948_Chrome.jpg

Top Bottom