What's new

Ariana & Evans Barbiere Sofisticato Shaving Soap Review

A&E Barbiere Sofisticato.JPG

After trying Ariana & Evans Peaches and Cognac shaving cream, I ordered two more to try. I got in the Barbiere Sofisticato. Like before, it was strong smelling when I opened it, but it very quickly mellowed out to a nice, soft barbershop scent. This is no perfumed puffery or a fruit salad. It is a nice, soft, very manly scent that is a little powdery and slightly spicey and clean. It smells like a man has just come fresh from a best quality barbershop where he got a haircut and a good shave. It stays long after the shave, though a woman would have to get close to smell it on a man. It seems well balanced, to me. It is not too powdery, not too bold, and not harsh in anyway. It doesn’t bother my nose in the least, and some scents by some makers do bother me. If a person likes barbershop scents that are slightly spicy, or likes softer, manly scents, this is a winner.

The shave is just what I hoped and expected. I used my Rudy Vey Ocean Mist brush with the Muhle 25mm silvertip fiber knot. The soap lathered up nicely, and I quickly had a thick lather that I thinned on my second pass. I loaded my brush in the container and then moved to my stainless bowl to finish the lathering. I used my Thiers Issard straight razor for the shave and found that the soap was very slick and the razor just glided across my whiskers. The residual slickness was really good and only in one little spot did I have to dab a little lather when touching up. I did that more out of caution as my face was drying out under the fan (it is hot and humid, here). I got a very fine shave (I choose to not use profanity) and BBS on my cheeks. I had no irritation, no nicks, and no weepers. The soap offered very good protection.

The after shave feel of my skin was very nice. It was not dry and not greasy, but was just right. My face was left feeling smooth and clean.

Price wise, this soap is not too expensive, as I mention in the previous review. I wish the price were half of what it is, but that is pie in the sky thinking. There are many artisan soaps that are far more expensive that don't do nearly as well. Overall, I liked this soap so much that I also ordered some Amber Rose. I can't wait till it gets here so I can try it.

My rating:
Smell 8.75/10
Lather 10/10
Slickness 10/10
Residual 10/10
Price 8/10
Overall: 9.4/10

I am obviously very happy with this shaving soap.

Shaving with a straight razor demands a very slick soap and this new Kaizen base is superbly slick! It would help the Coyote finally catch the Roadrunner.

The more I've used this soap the more the scent has improved. I really like the smell. It suits the performance, which is very good. This is a barbershop scent that has been upgraded. It is complex and yet familiar, somehow.

Nice review. Actually not my favorite of A&E scents but I do think it is has, as you say, a complex yet familiar scent. And most folks seem to like it a whole lot. As to the soap quality, I agree with your take. But what I'm actually most taken by is the brush. I've been trying to figure out what brush I'd want to order from Rudy since I do want to try a Muhle synth. I hope you don't mind but I think an Ocean Mist is exactly what I'm going to get!

Nice review. Actually not my favorite of A&E scents but I do think it is has, as you say, a complex yet familiar scent. And most folks seem to like it a whole lot. As to the soap quality, I agree with your take. But what I'm actually most taken by is the brush. I've been trying to figure out what brush I'd want to order from Rudy since I do want to try a Muhle synth. I hope you don't mind but I think an Ocean Mist is exactly what I'm going to get!
Go for it! You won’t be disappointed.

Top Bottom