What's new

Are you prepared for the possible end?

Here is the definition of a tobacco product as stated in US Code 321:

(rr)(1) The term "tobacco product" means any product made or derived from tobacco that is intended for human consumption, including any component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product (except for raw materials other than tobacco used in manufacturing a component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product).
(2) The term "tobacco product" does not mean an article that is a drug under subsection (g)(1), a device under subsection (h), or a combination product described in section 353(g) of this title.
(3) The products described in paragraph (2) shall be subject to subchapter V of this chapter.
(4) A tobacco product shall not be marketed in combination with any other article or product regulated under this chapter (including a drug, biologic, food, cosmetic, medical device, or a dietary supplement).

The full list of definitions can be found here.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I’m no lawyer, but a tobacco product is “derived from tobacco”. No idea what a component of said product would be, but could it be argued that a pipe is not derived from tobacco so it would be exempt?

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I believe the push to regulate pipes falls under (1) as an “accessory”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Ah an accessory. Is an automobile an accessory to gasoline? A glass an accessory to booze?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I believe the push to regulate pipes falls under (1) as an “accessory”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I talked to a guy in a pipe shop a couple of years ago and he said that pipes were trying to be restricted as they were a "Nicotine delivery device" is the way he explained it. Accessory is right.

I don't think that the restriction will be passed at this time due to the climate...it would lose too many jobs and many companies would have to close.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Let’s come back to the thread in a few years and see where we are at. Ya know they are only limiting mail order of these things. You can still go down to the local shop and order or get a pipe. It’s just like having to go down to the gun store to have an FFL order you a gun from another state. Hmmmm. A national tobacco and pipe registry?! Dun dun dunnnnnnn.

I talked to a guy in a pipe shop a couple of years ago and he said that pipes were trying to be restricted as they were a "Nicotine delivery device" is the way he explained it. Accessory is right.

I don't think that the restriction will be passed at this time due to the climate...it would lose too many jobs and many companies would have to close.

Don't kid yourself. The climate is irrelevant. As of this year in NJ, its illeagal to smoke (anything) in any state park or public beach. Powerfull politicians are pushing for an all out ban. NJ congressman (Pallone) is spearheading the ban of online sales.

Quote from Cigar Afficiando article - "When Rep. Kathy Castor (D-FL) proposed an amendment to exempt premium cigars during the hearing, Energy and Commerce Chairman Frank Pallone Jr. (D-NJ) immediately opposed the amendment ..."

NJ is increasing the tax on tobacco products by 300%. When I buy a box of cigars or bulk tobacco from an on line site, even out of state, a few months later I receive a tax bill from the state of NJ. Its only a matter of time before the nanny state prohibits any smoking anywhere. I plan to quit smoking cigars as I can't afford to stockpile a lifetime supply, but my baccy cellar is just about there.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Don't kid yourself. The climate is irrelevant. As of this year in NJ, its illeagal to smoke (anything) in any state park or public beach. Powerfull politicians are pushing for an all out ban. NJ congressman (Pallone) is spearheading the ban of online sales.

Quote from Cigar Afficiando article - "When Rep. Kathy Castor (D-FL) proposed an amendment to exempt premium cigars during the hearing, Energy and Commerce Chairman Frank Pallone Jr. (D-NJ) immediately opposed the amendment ..."

NJ is increasing the tax on tobacco products by 300%. When I buy a box of cigars or bulk tobacco from an on line site, even out of state, a few months later I receive a tax bill from the state of NJ. Its only a matter of time before the nanny state prohibits any smoking anywhere. I plan to quit smoking cigars as I can't afford to stockpile a lifetime supply, but my baccy cellar is just about there.

Of course they will exempt cigars- wouldn’t want to upset the fat cats.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
New addendum to that bill is that cigars are exempt if they are of at least $12 and over.

New addendum to that bill is that cigars are exempt if they are of at least $12 and over.

A $12 cigar plus 7% NJ sales tax plus NJ's ridiculous 'sin' tax on tobacco products will not likely be a daily smoke for me. Not mention how many mediocre to poor sticks will suddenly cost $12 just to meet the regulation.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
A $12 cigar plus 7% NJ sales tax plus NJ's ridiculous 'sin' tax on tobacco products will not likely be a daily smoke for me. Not mention how many mediocre to poor sticks will suddenly cost $12 just to meet the regulation.
And how many cigars will "magically" be repriced at $12.01 in order to qualify for that exemption?

All of them?

Top Bottom