What's new

Are you making progress?

I've been wet shaving for about 4-months now, and I can say without a doubt, my technique has improve since I started. When I first began, I didn't know how to DE shave, and of course, I chose a Feather AS-D2 razor, which forces one to shave shallow with it and ride the cap, my goodness was that a learning curve. For each new razor that I have purchased, its forced me to learn and improve my technique.

The razor that turned me from a beginner to an intermediate wet shaver, was my experts level Timeless TI95 razor. That razor demands a high level of upmost respect. The minute you make one misstep, its gonna bight you. I improved my technique immensely on that razor, not just on how to use it smoothly without nicking myself, but to also get the tricky under the nose hairs in the moostash area.

Each one of my razors has provided great shaves in their own way, each have their advantages and disadvantages. But it wasn't till most recently, as in today infact, that I got a razor that is completely care free, and that razor is the Henson AL13 medium and Steel Blue. That is the only razor that I own now, that has allowed me to shave quickly without nicking myself.

And that, is where I have room to improve upon. People say, that with more experience, one can become a fast shaver with just about any DE razor. Thats why I say, I am far from an expert, I got a lot more learning and technique improving to go, before I can fast shave with all my DE razors. But at least the Henson AL13 allows me to do so care free.

So ya, your always learning, there is no end to learning. I consider some razors like a challenge. It challenges me, and I shall have it! I tend to have a feeling of satisfaction when I have aced a challenge. My Timeless TI95 took me at least 3 weeks worth of shaves with it till I finally figured it out, and that made me happy.
This TI95 is not an expert level razor. It is just a DE razor, albeit an expensive one.

The only expert is the human using any razor. An expert DE shaver, with correct blade choice can make any DE razor bend to their skills if it is not a complete piece of Pound Shop rubbish or damaged in some way.

Expertise is gained through human learning, or technique. No razor is a short cut to that.

The only truly expert level razor is a straight in my opinion. That demands from the user vast technical mastery, time, upkeep and knowledge of blade physics with the maintenence required, and much courage to use well, and at a consistantly improving level of attainment.

SR experts have my utmost respect. It is the pinnacle of wetshaving, in terms of the skillset required.

I applaud your humility and growing awareness of the requirement of experience @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker !

Last edited:
Top Bottom