Do you have any backup razors?

• Yes I do

• No I don't

• No but I intend to

• No and I don't intend to

• Art is King!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Yes I am, I started it a month ago or so. I am collecting 2-3 Gillette NEW heads made in England in case of an accident/emergency. I have a few spare handles also but the head is the part that will be most likely broken.

I was thinking about it the other day, I love my Gillette NEW (the Hoffritz too but not as much as the NEW) and if something terrible would happen to it, I would be lost and hunt another one. The chances are that I would buy anything and end up with something different (RAD will be kicking). Now that I have what I want, I am buying the same razor (They're in the mail at the moment :biggrin:) and I would be ready! Maybe I should keep my spares in a jar full or mineral oil... Unsure but I was curious to know if anyone else has doubles(backup) for the sole purpose of replacing a razor?

If someone has a hint on how to store them that would be great!

Last edited:
I don't really keep spares as I use Merkurs. but I do have a 38, and have a Mergress coming. If I shaved Vintage I would def keep backups.

At one time or other I had a double for all my collectible pieces so that I could try them out. I have sold off many of them but still have to many....:biggrin:

Four fatboys? Three are my birth year and quarter, two of these are in mint condition, one is a daily shaver and the fourth is not my birth year, but it too is in mint condition.

At least three GEM 1912's.

I don't have an awful lot of shaving stuff but my Dad likes to drop by and keep an eye out for any doublers I have acquired.

I see no need for multiple razors. I prefer the Merkur Slant to all of the vintage DEs I've tried, so I don't really have to worry much about losing that as it will be easy to replace.

I do have a GEM 1912, but don't feel the need for a backup.

I would guess that you have some doubles in there, then yes!

And triples.... and quadruples. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have two Slim Adjustable's out on loan to friends (along with brushes, blades and creams). Guess what I shaved with this morning? Thats right.... a Slim Adjustable.

I have no idea how many flare tip Super speeds I have.

Yep, most of my collection has a keep to look at and another to use and love, with a few exceptions. Only one double ring and only one working Toggle and a few other assorted display only razors. The Toggle I shave with is broken (won't adjust).

I have 2 fatboys, 2 USA NEWs, 2 British NEWs, 2 British techs, 2 USA techs, 2 red tips superspeeds, a couple of OLDs and NEW improved, 4 GEM 1912s ...
It goes on and on.
Every razor I find out I like, I try to find another one in good nick in it's case, and keep the worser one without a case for actual shaving, (or vice versa if I was lucky enough to buy a very good one in the first place, in that case I jsut buy a cheap average condition one to shave with).

I've only got one 1940s superspeed, plain flare tp superspeed, black or blue superspeed, only one slim and super adjustable, ball end tech, common bar tech etc. I only double up on the vintage razors that I like enough to use a lot and aren't expensive (for now).
edit: I do have only one HD rocket, but they're too pricey to justify buying a backup.
I have no expensive razors, (no presidents, executives, aristocrats, rangers, cased rare OLDS, toggles etc), all my razors were under $25 except for the HD rocket.

Last edited:
At one time or other I had a double for all my collectible pieces so that I could try them out. I have sold off many of them but still have to many....:biggrin:

Ditto but not sure this counts as having a backup. If something happened to my #58 shaver i might not reach for the NOS piece that i have but rather try to get a piece that's more in the user grade. Looks like i need more razors. :blush:

Yes I am, I started it a month ago or so. I am collecting 2-3 Gillette NEW heads made in England in case of an accident/emergency. I have a few spare handles also but the head is the part that will be most likely broken.

I was thinking about it the other day, I love my Gillette NEW (the Hoffritz too but not as much as the NEW) and if something terrible would happen to it, I would be lost and hunt another one. The chances are that I would buy anything and end up with something different (RAD will be kicking). Now that I have what I want, I am buying the same razor (They're in the mail at the moment :biggrin:) and I would be ready! Maybe I should keep my spares in a jar full or mineral oil... Unsure but I was curious to know if anyone else has doubles(backup) for the sole purpose of replacing a razor?

If someone has a hint on how to store them that would be great!

I'd store them in MY GUN SAFE, just send them on over and be rest assured they will be safe and sound.:lol::lol::lol:

Top Bottom