What's new

Are you giving shave stuff for holiday gifts?

My brother-in-law started using the VDH kit a couple of years ago, and it got me interested in traditional shaving. He hasn't really tried any other soaps or creams, and he still uses a disposable razor, but he was the first (and only) person I know to move away from the canned goo.

I passed him a tube of Bigelow a few weeks ago, and I have a stick of Arko ready for him when we get together this weekend. I am considering a brush purchase for myself after Christmas, and I am thinking about picking up another FS brush for him. Not offical presents, just a bit of a "thank you" for getting me interested in old school shaving.

I'm getting my 13-year-old brother an Omega boar brush that I've de-funked for him in advance, Omega almond shaving soap in a tin, a small bottle of witch hazel, a couple packs of blades, the Parker 90R that I started with, and a gold ball-end tech, all contained inside an old Schrafft's Crimson Chest candy tin. If he shows some interest down the line, I have a bunch of other stuff to give to him.

Since my gf had a bit of trouble locating the brush I wanted last year, she refuses to stuff the stocking with anything shave related, for fear of screwing up again. I have enough already, and intend to finish most of it before restocking.

I have been giving my brother hordes of blades to sample, and will probably give him some more blades + whatever other product I don't want that is unopened. Additionally, at his christmas dinner, I told my theater instructor from HS about Mantic59, so I will likely be dropping off additional excess stock to him in the new year.

GFT Limes cream to my son, DE Razor, Brush, Bowl and cream to my daughters boyfriend and a Lady Gillette to the wife

My talking about the DE gear and straight experience got my dad to pick up some cool gear in London while he and my mother were there for Thanksgiving. Walked right into Taylor's on Bond St. and got some Lavender...

Now he's got a '48 SS, '59 SS (Same year/quarter as my mom's birth), a Slim I lent him to try out, 2 boar brushes (VDH and Omega), ~4 different lather products, and 5 glass bottles of Aqua Velva.

I PIF'ed some gear earlier this year to a good friend, but nobody else I know has shown much interest.

For my sons 2 buds, that have been through my shaving boot-camp, I have put together starter kits.

Gillette Tech
A choice of 2 of my creams that I have a lot of(Godrej, Bigelow, Dettol, Etc)
Nivea sensitive balm
Blade sampler
Omega 49
CVS pharmacy Witch Hazel
Styptic pencil.

I had a lot of fun trying to put these kits together for less than $25. It was hard to do without using some of my creams.

I bought my dad a tub of Proraso Green SS and Proraso Shaving Balm. He already uses my old Edwin Jagger best badger brush and a disposable. I also got him a 2 year subscription to Golf Digest. I would have given a straight razor, but I think he would probably end up slashing his throat or something lol.

I got my Dad a Gillette Super Speed, and 100 Derby blades. He has been unable to get DE blades in his small town for many years and switched over to cartridges.

He got a kick out of my recent switch to DE shaving, and so I plan on keeping him well stocked on blades etc. He still uses a old generic brush and Williams, so he is set to go!!

Not this year. Last year I got my father in law a tube of bigelow cream and my brother in law the VDH starter kit, plus a red tip and blade samples. I don't think either of them gave any of that stuff a try so I am going a different route this year.

My dad actually asked for another bottle of Taylors sandalwood aftershave. I have also got him another Ming Shi razor as the one I got him a couple of years ago has jammed. He was genuinely amazed at how well a DE razor shaves when he tried it. He uses Palmolive foam with it - doesn't want to bother with using a brush but he only tidies up his beard every couple of days.

I'm giving my 16 yo brother in law an Adidas cologne and aftershave balm set. Almost got him one of those VDH starter kits from CVS. Still feeling him out on if he really wants to take the plunge, but I figured the cologne and aftershave balm would be a good nudge in the right direction. :thumbup1:

My younger brother has been shaving w/ a VDH brush and soap recently. I got him a large tube of C.O. Bigelow as part of his Christmas. I also got 2 for myself. :)

I will be giving my fiance a starter kit consisting of a Weishi, a Tweezerman women's badger brush, some AOS rose cream, and some blades. With all my talk about wanting to start wet shaving recently, she has become interested as well.

I'm giving all the men in the family a CVS shave kit (ceramic bowl, VDH soap & boar brush), a Weishi TTO & 10 blades.

My one brother has mentioned to me that he was looking for a DE razor recently like one I used to use before going to a straight. I told him to be patient.

So Both of my brothers are getting a full starters kit (hope the other brother will use it, but oh well if he doesn't).

Im including in each of them:

EJ89L DE Razor
Sharks, Crystals, and Red IPs to last them both a long, long time (probably 100 blades each)
Handmade Butterscotch TGN Brushes (one a finest, other super silvertip)
Bowl of Cella
Puck of MWF
possible any other soap/cream that is in my "to sell" pile
Some SCS aftershaves

Hopefully they enjoy it. Sad thing was out of all this for both of them the only thing I had to buy recently was another EJ89L :tongue_sm

Lots of great gifts here guys! I just found out that my sister's bf is going to spend christmas with us as well.. I've only met him once and I have zero idea on what to get him...He's from Peru so I was thinking of gettimg him something sort of "local". There's a great brewery here in town so maybe a few types of beer and a nice glass? Any ideas guys? As far as shaving supplies, I don't know what he uses at all..

My dad uses canned goo (gel) with a brush. I got him a tub of Poraso. I think he likes the scent best out of the soaps and creams I have. He was also intrested in the sandalwood and menthol variaties, but my wife bought him a bunch of other stuff already so that will wait for his birthday or father's day.

Phil

I put together a starter kit for my friend last year. Since he does seem to use the kit when he has time for a more leisurely shave, I upgraded him this year with a Rooney style 3 size 2 in ebony along with a Speick stick and a couple of packs of blades.

Dad and the brothers got various shaving gear last year for Christman (and better for their respective birthdays) so this year it's a visit to Half-Price Books for literature, comics, records and such. Oh, and child-grade fireworks for my bother's children....snappers and stinkbombs, etc :biggrin:

(I'd do more, but Dad has only two soaps and can't dent them in a year, let alone finish 10 blades! And he somehow shaves daily....)

Top Bottom