What's new

Are you anachronistic?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I am an anachronism in my way of thinking.
Though quite openminded (I visit nude beaches, for example), I am rather attached to two things that seem to be slipping away from Western civilisation, which worries and pains me.
These being Reason and pride of the enlightened way of thinking the West used to cherish.
Young people are without anchor and roots and are not even aware of it.
They sure consider me someone from the past, but I fear they will regret it one day.
Come to think of it, being open minded has become an anachronism. O woe.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
As I read the thread on phrases you'd rather not hear, it occurred to me, it's largely about the era in which you came of age. Born in the late 1940s, it is clear to me that I am a walking anachronism. I speak a largely different language. It has rules. I enjoy and, more importantly, observe, the conventions of bygone eras. In addition to, obviously, shaving with soap, brush, and something other than a multi-edged cartridge, I use a fountain pen, cook from "scratch," whatever that might be, and dress in the same clothing I wore in 1959. I read books of paper with hard covers. I listen to records, and I go to the symphony, ballet, and opera. My life (but for the iPad) looks much as it might have about half a century ago. I know how to tie a bowtie (the same way you tie shoes). I know how to iron my shirts and pants. I know how to wash and dry a sweater. I even know how to darn, and I have a darning egg.

How about you? Are you an anachronism? Why do you think you are or aren't?
I was born 1949 and am much the same, especially regarding language. I again dress much the same way I did in college, read actual paper books, shave with a straight razor, and cook real food. I do miss the “old” days. It is getting a bit crazy out there I believe.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Reminds me of a friend who had a dark-blue windbreaker with the letters W and T and F on the back in large white letters.

He used to show up on TV reports from crime scenes with all the other dark blue windbreakers with "POLICE," "ATF," "FBI" and so forth.

He never got questioned over it. He'd just walk through looking like he had business.

O.H.
A yellow jacket like security guards wear gets you right up front in the stands.

My two cars are a 1967 Mustang I have had since 1978, and a 2017 Chevy Volt. I have raced both of them at dragstrips... The 'stang runs on gas and the Volt on battery power.
I go for daily walks and regularly ride my Schwinn Orange Krate bicycle.
I set-up and ran CNC Machining Centers at work, and have a miniature Sherline lathe at home.
I use my Grandpa's Real Old English straight razor, and a Wolfman. I still have four pucks of Williams Mug Soap.

You tell me if that is an anachronism.

~doug~

In some ways, yes. I was born in 1980, so I grew up with technology, but also played outside as a child. I've largely replaced all my fibreboard furniture with the real stuff, most of my hand tools pre-date WW2, as do most of my razors. All my clothes are wool or cotton, and all my shoes and boots are leather.

I cook real food, and raise chickens, pigs, and rabbits for food. Going out to eat is a treat, not a convenience. I use technology just fine, but will choose low tech and reliable over fast and battery powered any day. I have a library full of real physical books.

If the internet and the internet of things disappeared tomorrow, I'd do just fine.

It's a great question.
Giving it some thought, I realize I'm an odd combination.
Born in the early 1950's and a student of American history, the Fifties are my favorite decade by far. To me it represented the zenith of American power, style and inventiveness. The cars of the era are undeniably iconic ... and yet I wouldn't want to own one. The cars of today are far better in every way: handling, reliability, braking, longevity, paint.
I love the music of the Sixties and Seventies but found vinyl records to be a PIA; scratches, skips, hops. I'll take an mp3 file any day over the ol' turntable.
Some wonderful firearms were designed in the past; the Colt 1911, Browning Hi-Power, M1 Garand, etc. I've shot and owned many of them but the current crop of polymer-framed pistols are some of the best guns ever made and for a reasonable price and they're lighter and extremely durable. Again, as much as I admire the "good old days", I probably prefer the modern designs when push comes to shove.
Shaving is one of the few areas - along with guitars - where I prefer the older way of doing things. Having used electric razor and many years of cartridges, I can attest to the clear superiority of the good ol' double edged safety razor.
Newer isn't always better, but sometimes it is. Just not with shaving.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Is hewing to older ways inextricably linked with longing for the good old days? I don't think so. I live with an array of old but reliable things but think there's an awful lot about the good old days better left behind.

Oh yes, I am an anachronism of the highest order as good and bad as that has been. Fountain pens and the 1911, good sturdy boots and clothes and a 30-06. Solid wood furniture and not much more than I need. Small house, no debt and respect for what has been with a mindset to stay on top of what is to come. I've seen two wars, buried a wife and can quote "It's been a wonderful life" and it has. A blacksmith by trade forging mild steel with hammer anvil and coal since true wrought has gone away and I've pulled two of my own teeth. My contemporaries have described me as "old school hard" but any man of any age could find out exactly what he's capable of if forced to do so. I was born just before the Berlin wall fell. An ancient millennial. 37 going on 90.

will choose low tech and reliable over fast and battery powered any day.
I am annoyed that real batteries aren’t even used anymore. Everything plugs in with a USB cord to recharge. Things you recharge never last as long as things you put batteries in. For example, I have a camera that plugs in to recharge. I have an old film camera that used AAA batteries. Those batteries lasted years. Literally. The one I recharge runs out of power when it’s off.

Oh yes, I am an anachronism of the highest order as good and bad as that has been. Fountain pens and the 1911, good sturdy boots and clothes and a 30-06. Solid wood furniture and not much more than I need. Small house, no debt and respect for what has been with a mindset to stay on top of what is to come. I've seen two wars, buried a wife and can quote "It's been a wonderful life" and it has. A blacksmith by trade forging mild steel with hammer anvil and coal since true wrought has gone away and I've pulled two of my own teeth. My contemporaries have described me as "old school hard" but any man of any age could find out exactly what he's capable of if forced to do so. I was born just before the Berlin wall fell. An ancient millennial. 37 going on 90.
For teeth pullin' I’ll be modern and go to the dentist. 🦷

For teeth pullin' I’ll be modern and go to the dentist. 🦷
Sometimes. In some places. That is simply not an option. I can tell you for sure it was not because I wanted to. I'll spare the details but let you know I'll never look at a Leatherman the same. Find yourself abscessed in a proper Hell hole days away from a place that might have a dentist and you do what you must. Thoroughly not recommended.

I'm not an anachronism. I prefer that I know how to think and am well educated. Today, people are not taught how to think, to reason, and are so poorly educated most can't understand a simple book. I know this because I teach them after they get messed up by the modern education system.

I'm not an anachronism. I prefer that I know how to think and am well educated. Today, people are not taught how to think, to reason, and are so poorly educated most can't understand a simple book. I know this because I teach them after they get messed up by the modern education system.
Would your appeal to reason in a now unreasonable age not make you an anachronism?

This has been creeping in for a long time and how right thinking people failed to notice is beyond me. However, a lot of people think like me, they are mostly not in the education field, however.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I read Latin each day, I taught my children to read Latin from age 7, and I am one of the last of the Irish Jacobites, longing for the return of the Stuarts and Catholic divine right monarchy.
bonnieprincecharlieenteringtheballroomatholyroodhousebefore30apr1892.jpg

I read Latin each day, I taught my children to read Latin from age 7, and I am one of the last of the Irish Jacobites, longing for the return of the Stuarts and Catholic divine right monarchy.
View attachment 1587348
I'll drink to that!

"Here's to to the hills, the heath, and the heather.
The bonnet, the plaidie, the kilt and the feather.
Here's to the song that old Scotland can boast.
May her name never die, there's a highlander's toast!"

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I'll drink to that!

"Here's to to the hills, the heath, and the heather.
The bonnet, the plaidie, the kilt and the feather.
Here's to the song that old Scotland can boast.
May her name never die, there's a highlander's toast!"
The prince who should our king ha' been
He wore the royal red an' green!
A bonnier lad was never seen-
than our brave loyal Charlie!

Top Bottom