What's new

Are you an obituary reader?

Obits. I have read 'em for years. Of course, lately I have noticed a disturbing trend. Some of the dearly departed are younger than moi.

Folks with unusual names or occupations or interests grab my attention. And the photos can be interesting, also. Quite recently I have noted a casual trend; formerly photos were mostly of men wearing suits; baseball caps and plaid shirts are now becoming common, at least in Michigan.

Saddest are those who died too soon, certainly.

I've written my own. Naturally, not too anxious for it to be published quite yet. There is still time, I hope, to stir up a little more trouble.

I check to make sure I'm not listed!

Seriously, the trend of obits going from what most of us remember to what you see today started when papers started charging families for them. Formerly, most papers ran obits as a community service, chronicling important details of people's lives. The papers retained editorial control, so they were straight forward. When circulation and ad revenue dropped, papers began charging, and the customers got to say (within reason) what they want.

I follow my late Father's mantra . . . I read the obits in order to determine if I have to go to work.

I wrote my Mom's obit, and my Father-in-Laws, as well as my Dad's.

Kidding aside, I look at them daily to see if any names ring a bell. If they do, I will check them out in detail to see if it is someone from the neighbourhood, as I still live in the City I was born in.

Seriously, the trend of obits going from what most of us remember to what you see today started when papers started charging families for them. Formerly, most papers ran obits as a community service, chronicling important details of people's lives. The papers retained editorial control, so they were straight forward. When circulation and ad revenue dropped, papers began charging, and the customers got to say (within reason) what they want.

Years ago a former student accepted a position at a paper in a Georgia town; as a rookie she was put in charge of the obits. She said 90% of the job was correcting grammar.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

I was going to make the opposite statement- don’t want to read them and find my name there :)

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have noticed that in the larger cities people die in alphabetical order.

I don't except when I become aware of someone passing and check the online obits. Then I sometimes scroll back to see if there is a name that I recognize. It is sad and curious to see those passing in their 20s, 30s, 40s, without much explanation as to why. Thankfully many are in their 90s.

Tom Kearney is the host of a local radio show in NC that periodically does a show called: Necrology - list of people who have died and should be remembered. Mainly people from the entertainment, political, and sports world. Last couple of episodes:

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I read the ones in our local paper. Sometimes there is a run of obits and then all quiet. I like the all quiet.

I thought I was the only one who read the obits to see if I'm in them.

Lately, there has been a disturbing trend of more people dying who are between 20 and 60. On the good side, more people are reaching their 90's.

I scan them for names, photos, ages and read whichever ones catch my eye. Now and then I see one that just has a name and the words "No relatives have come forward at this time." Those seem especially poignant to me.

There's a great collection of them here: available on Amazon for $3
52 McGs.: The Best Obituaries from Legendary New York Times Reporter Robert McG. Thomas

I came across my obit a number of years ago.

Same full name. Same birthday.

Nice quiet man. Died of alcohol/drinking.

I've even had other people comment that they had read it and were surprised to see me.

Rather odd feeling.

Every few months, I occasionally run a few names through on-line obits. Depressing when it's a friend from high school or college in the 1960s, not so much when it's a former boss. My wife and I gave standing orders to our kids: NO OBITS. No public wake. A private and family only viewing before cremation if they wish.

When I haven't heard from someone in a while I look for the obit online.
I sometimes wonder the same about BnB members who are nameless behind their avatar. There are many reasons for an active member to go a long time without visiting or posting (e.g. they got bored with the site, got busy with professional or personal life, found other interests, etc.) But what about the ones who stopped posting because they have passed away. Sometimes a spouse or friend of a very active member will notify people here publicly, but many must have permanently moved on. :001_unsur

Top Bottom