What's new

Are you able to shave east - west on the neck?

A couple of observations.

The blade in that video is leaving a lot of growth. The reason I point this out is because it takes more than one or two passes.

It is important to remember that straight razors were used by professionals where going is several directions is less of a challenge than when a man is shaving his own face. IMO, it is better to just get the best you can as safely as you can. If you are not satisfied with the SR, use a DE or SE to supplement.

I do east-west on my neck with a DE...but only after 2 passes are complete and there's not much
hair on the neck....theres nothing worse than blade tugging in that area.

If the blade is sharp enough and you skin stretch efficiently (pull neck skin right up over jaw) I strongly believe it isn't necessary to shave East / West.

BUT

With a more muted smooth edge (for muted read coticule edge) I believe it is OK to shave into the grain and risk more precarious diagonal strokes. Therefore like this I find it perfectly comfortable and safe to shave across with the razor at a diagonal position. No cuts. No burn.

To @Twelvefret 's point its likely that the edge is a more muted one in the video given the amount of hair removed in each pass. I shave very differently with a pure coticule edge than I do with a method edge.

Also... My favourite topic... Yawn... For ATG a firmer more stable edge works better and the steel helps. Therefore stainless and heavier grinds are safer for this kind of stroke for me.

My advice, either:
1) dialup the sharpness and try to achieve with a cross stroke
Or
2) mute the edge and attempt the crazy diagonals

As ever...
15531736529966691249175424536341.png

Top Bottom