What's new

Are you able to shave east - west on the neck?

Hi there,

I have done a lot of progress with my De shavette. I might have around 30 shaves or a bit more . I can go up and down, even ATG under the neck.

However, due to the my whisker direction, I must shave east - west under the neck. It is the area under the jaw bone. But it is difficult for me at this stage to do that . I am trying bit by bit.

Does anyone has a video or useful tips for this style?

Cheers

I've never done it as the curve of the neck and the angle I'd have to hold the blade would be asking to cut myself. I use a straight but sometimes I'll do two against the grain passes on my neck with the second pass having a slightly different angle.
The only advise I can offer is keep a shallow angle and go slow and make sure you're using a slick soap.

I have to shave my neck in an "X" pattern, from the chin to where my neck meets my shoulder and from where my jaw hinges to my adam's apple so in a sense, I'm shaving E-W and W-E.

@supertrunker

Very nice. That guy had a great technique. I learned a couple of things.

However I don't think I could do those fast repeated moves of the razor with a shavette. It would mean a lot of blood.

I saw that guy a long time ago. I had forgotten about this video but I remember thinking that this guy is the best shaver I have ever seen. :)

Fortunately North/South and then South/North is sufficient for me in the neck area so I don't have to go East/West. I think I could do it just under the jaw bone but I don't know that I could do it lower down as he did in the video.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I can shave from my adams apple back with a bit of an arc but afraid to do the opposite. I have a small patch on the right side of my neck that resists normal up and down passes. Since it doesn't happen on my left side, I suppose I lack symmetry.

20180709_074925.jpg
I only have in five straight razor shaves none of which include across the grain east and west. I used my Injun 101 Square point this morning and did two passes with no blood and felt a little proud of myself and that it was sufficient. And I thought if anyone was to notice or complain about my whisker length after my shave I could explain well that's the best I can do with a straight razor. Now if you really want to get that area of your face shaved better going east and west just pick up your safety razor and finish it off. It's your shave you can do it anyway you wish.

Ive never been able to do it and its a real problem for me because ATG for me on my next is east-west. When I shave with a straight, I just do a north-south, south-north and call it a day.

Check this guy out at 6:11. Sure wish i could do that.

That's what my straight razor shaves look like in my head. :D :D :D

Nothing of course could be further from the truth. I've seen this video before, and still, quickly fast forwarding through it this time, it's just as impressive.

I need to go east to west but can't really do it confidently myself. I end up going sort of southeast to northwest and south west to northeast on the small sections that i need it

When I got good at shaving with a DE, I could go across my neck that way. It made a big improvement in the quality of my shave.

After seeing this thread, I tried the video guy’s neck technique. It worked pretty well a couple of times.

Not so much today:
7C2735DA-1B57-4777-B76A-9C64C2998531.jpeg

When I got good at shaving with a DE, I could go across my neck that way. It made a big improvement in the quality of my shave.

After seeing this thread, I tried the video guy’s neck technique. It worked pretty well a couple of times.

Not so much today:
View attachment 898206
Holy crap. I was gonna try it too but I think I'd end up with a similar result as yours. Hope you are ok

It will be gone in 3 days. I just wasn’t being careful with a new technique. Nor do I have iron skin like Mr. Video!

In the meantime, hit the bars... chicks dig scars, or so, die hard straight razor shavers claim. :D :D

On a more serious note, I can go north to south, and other way around on my neck, no issues. Side to side just seems like something not to be attempted at the stage I'm at.

The hair on my neck grows left to right or west to east as I see it in the mirror. I'm usually satisfied with an ATG pass that is EESE to WWNW. So close to but not fully East West. IME A sharp razor makes up for the angle to a large degree as far as the end result is concerned.

The neck is the most challenging part for me. The hair predominantly goes in an East to West direction, but not completely. I have hollows on the left and right side of my windpipe, which makes straight razor shaving that much more fun! I just to N-S and S-N passes on my neck. The rest of my face I get BBS shaves, but the neck I settle for close and comfortable.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The neck is the most challenging part for me. The hair predominantly goes in an East to West direction, but not completely. I have hollows on the left and right side of my windpipe, which makes straight razor shaving that much more fun! I just to N-S and S-N passes on my neck. The rest of my face I get BBS shaves, but the neck I settle for close and comfortable.
Same here. I’ve had a bit of luck reaching around my neck and stretching my skin- not perfect but quite good enough.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I need to go east to west but can't really do it confidently myself. I end up going sort of southeast to northwest and south west to northeast...

I have been thinking about and studying up on and pondering how to go E-W with the straight razor. It certainly eludes me.

With a safety razor it's pretty easy for me to do. On my checks it's easy enough. But, my neck needs an E-W pass or three and I've not figured it out at all.

upload_2019-3-21_7-52-13.jpeg

Doesn't mean I won't.

If you're got it all figured out, please share with the rest of us!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom