What's new

Are you a tallow snob?

I think I'm moving in that direction. So far, the only Tallow soap I've used is Williams, but I get much better lather with it than with the VDH or Col. Conk Glycerine soaps I've used.

But why not have the best of both? Whip up an uberlather using a Tallow-based soap.

For some reason early on in my traditional wet shaving journey I became an exclusive tallow based soap user, maybe because of a bad experience with Mama Bears, and the fact that VDH "soaps" are just mediocre. I mean, tallow soaps are so old school and traditional! Think Mitchells Wool Fat and Williams! Even today artisans brag about their tallow cred.

So my fellow wet shaving soap lovin' brethren, who is with me as a tallow soap snob?

I used to be but after using outstanding veggie soaps like Synergy, Tiki, Pre de Provence, and MDC I no longer think tallow is necessary.

One ingredient does not a great soap make, MdC being an excellent case in point. Most of my preferred soaps are tallow-based, but MdC and (I think!) Proraso prove that you can make a great soap without it.

No, I'm not a snob. I like both tallow-based (Palmolive) and non-tallow-based (Cade) soaps. If you are vegan, then it will matter; otherwise, lather up and enjoy.

I didn't think I was, until I realized all my soaps were tallow. I've branched out a bit, and have found I really like Mama Bear's, and absolutely love RazoRock for Captain's Choice, which is one of their Argan Oil soaps...no tallow, but one of the best soaps I've ever used.

I don't want to like tallow. It just so happens my very favorite two soaps are tallow soaps. But then the next mess of about 20 soaps I rate as CLOSE, many are not tallow. (MdC is just the most obvious; but Tcheon Fun Sing, and the tallow-free Strop Shoppe variations, and some others...)

I wish there was something as good a Mike's or Stroppe Shop SE wtihout tallow. I really do. I'm happy I can get close, though.

I think I'm moving in that direction. So far, the only Tallow soap I've used is Williams, but I get much better lather with it than with the VDH or Col. Conk Glycerine soaps I've used.

But why not have the best of both? Whip up an uberlather using a Tallow-based soap.

Even if you super lathered those three, I don't think you'd still be able to get a good lather.
You need to try other tallow-based soaps, like Tabac, Valobra and Mike's.

I do NOT limit my search to tallow-soaps and try all I can get, but it turns out that most of the soaps I love to lather and that give me an amazing shaving experience are tallow-based. There is only one tallow-based soap I dont like and that is Mitchells Wool Fat due to the scent.

The bigger the "100% vegan" sticker on the soap was, the bigger the disappointment when actually using it. As I buy soaps to use it and not to show how politically correct I am, I tend to focus on soaps without this sticker and go for tallow soaps.

No, I'm not a tallow snob. It's just that tallow is the best, and I'll only use tallow soaps. And, I think people who use other types of soaps are not as good as I am. :laugh:

More so in the winter than the summer. But, generally speaking, yes I'd consider myself a tallow snob :)

Nothing beats the vintage tallow soaps to me...have a few modern tallow//non-tallow that I like but still not the same...

While I do like a number of soaps which are tallow based, I also like some vegetable based soaps, too.

I find the presence or absence of tallow is not a good indicator of performance. Honestly, the more I learn about soap I'm beginning to think the presence of steric acid is a better indicator of soap quality than tallow.

Top Bottom