The best men's skin care routine is the shave finished with a good splash

• YES, I agree!

Votes: 26 56.5%
  • NO, I disagree!

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
My shave ends with homemade aftershave (or rubbing alcohol or aloe if the menthol’s too strong), but I use moisturizer during the day.

That sounds like one of my posts but you got the order of the products wrong and missed out a few things...

Where I know live in North East Scotland is usually quite cold and windy (North Sea breeze), when I moved here I started to get quite dry, cracked and sore skin in general (this is back when I used electric or cartridge razors) but since I've been using a proper face care regime in the morning and in the evening my skin has been a significantly better and I very rarely get dry or sore skin anymore (it's now limited to occasional chapped lips). When I started DE shaving, I just incorporated my general skin care products into my shaving routine in an order that makes sense when you look at how they work and their ingredients.

I'm sure there are plenty of other old-fashioned or overly simplified guys that would scoff at the idea of using a DE/straight etc with various blades, soaps/creams, brushes and aftershaves and would say that all the skin care a man needs is a disposable razor, maybe a can of foam for a special occasion.

I am the son of a dermatologist and skin care has always been important in our house. When we traveled to Hawaii in the early 1970's, my dad gave the manager at the hotel notions shop a lecture on why they needed to carry actual sunscreen, and not just tanning oils. Skin care has been drilled into my head from an early age. We used Alpha Keri lotions, Dove soaps, etc. Skin is the largest organ you have and well-hydrated healthy skin is less prone to tearing when shaving. I use a pre-shave and apply sunscreen when I'm going out and moisturizer (particularly in the winter).

I don’t give a gee whiz how many products a guy uses on his face. I don’t give a gee whiz if you take a close up photo of a sort of transparent, sorta creamy kinda lotion in the palm of your hand. I do however appreciate the enthusiasm. Different strokes for different folks.
Combined with the poll title, this reply is next level. I salute you. 🖖

I don’t give a gee whiz how many products a guy uses on his face. I don’t give a gee whiz if you take a close up photo of a sort of transparent, sorta creamy kinda lotion in the palm of your hand. I do however appreciate the enthusiasm. Different strokes for different folks.
I take it as a compliment then! Cheers 😀

Last edited:
I am the son of a dermatologist and skin care has always been important in our house. When we traveled to Hawaii in the early 1970's, my dad gave the manager at the hotel notions shop a lecture on why they needed to carry actual sunscreen, and not just tanning oils. Skin care has been drilled into my head from an early age. We used Alpha Keri lotions, Dove soaps, etc. Skin is the largest organ you have and well-hydrated healthy skin is less prone to tearing when shaving. I use a pre-shave and apply sunscreen when I'm going out and moisturizer (particularly in the winter).
Okay - it sounds like you are something of an expert by extension from your parent. Any recommendations for sunscreen that one can apply not long after a shave that won't cause irritation and hopefully won't sting the eyes if sweat happens?

I've been a long time happy user of Cerave's regular moisturizer and their face wash. I recently decided it would be a good idea to add in some SPF and I started to try out Cerave's version of it. I keep finding that part way through the day my eyes are stinging, and I think the lotion is to blame. Have you had any issues like this?

Other than that, my skincare sound similar to yours. Not sure about me looking younger though :biggrin1:
Don’t put it near your eyes. I always leave the patch below my eyes alone. I do use the CeraVe AM that has sunscreen protection and I can imagine that the sunscreen ingredients can’t feel good in your eye.

I just recently started with the SPF. I first tried CeraVe and didn’t like the way it went on. It pills if you put it on too quickly after any other product (HA). I switched to ELTAMD and it was like smearing on 150 weight lube. Im now back to the CeraVe and just making sure the previous product has soaked in before applying.

I'm a firm believer in "Do what works for you." That said, without trying anything new you never know what improvements there might be to be had.

When I was DE shaving I added a homebrew pre-shave oil with noticably better results in my skin tone and elasticity. When I shifted to straights the pre-shave gummed things up and I dropped it and replaced it with a light moisturizer post shave.

After a year or so I saw a post here about using pre-shave oil as a post shave. Genius! I added my concoction back into my routine as a post shave while still keeping the moisturizer. Best results ever.

Pre-shave:
Hot shower / Ivory soap

Post shave:
Warm rinse
Alum, let dry
Warm rinse
Post shave oil concoction, rubbed in
Ultralight moisturizer, rubbed in
AS splash (usually alcohol based)

SWMBO loves it!

I'm a firm believer in "Do what works for you." That said, without trying anything new you never know what improvements there might be to be had.

When I was DE shaving I added a homebrew pre-shave oil with noticably better results in my skin tone and elasticity. When I shifted to straights the pre-shave gummed things up and I dropped it and replaced it with a light moisturizer post shave.

After a year or so I saw a post here about using pre-shave oil as a post shave. Genius! I added my concoction back into my routine as a post shave while still keeping the moisturizer. Best results ever.
I have been using a homebrew preshave oil as well. Would you mind sharing the combo concoction you are using? Mine is roughly 60% apricot kernel oil, 40% fractionated coconut oil, and sometimes I add some tea tree oil or lavender. That said, I have been looking into other ingredients to try out and have a slew of them in my amazon shopping cart at the moment.

Some skin experts say it's important to exfoliate the skin after shaving to avoid 'breakouts.' I now do this instead of a cold water splash after shaving.

My face breaks out just from reading through this thread

I had to stop using balms, moisturizers, or any type of cream… it took me years to figure out they were causing me acne… it was hell!

Now all I use is an alcohol based splash, and sometimes even this will make my skin feel oily by the end of the day. my preference is for brands that do not use too much glycerin (Myrsol and Lá Toja are great)

In the evenings, I just wash my face with a good soap bar (Valobra, MWF, La Toja magno are in my current inventory) and 3x per week I apply a light coat of 5% benzoyl peroxide cream per my physician’s instruction. It’s been almost a year I don’t have any new acne 🙌🏻 and according to my friends, I look the same as I did 10 years ago

I’m a firm believer that less is more when it comes to skin care, and brushing and shaving with a quality shaving soap already provide enough exfoliation and cleansing.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
My face breaks out just from reading through this thread

I had to stop using balms, moisturizers, or any type of cream… it took me years to figure out they were causing me acne… it was hell!

Now all I use is an alcohol based splash, and sometimes even this will make my skin feel oily by the end of the day. my preference is for brands that do not use too much glycerin (Myrsol and Lá Toja are great)

In the evenings, I just wash my face with a good soap bar (Valobra, MWF, La Toja magno are in my current inventory) and 3x per week I apply a light coat of 5% benzoyl peroxide cream per my physician’s instruction. It’s been almost a year I don’t have any new acne 🙌🏻 and according to my friends, I look the same as I did 10 years ago

I’m a firm believer that less is more when it comes to skin care, and brushing and shaving with a quality shaving soap already provide enough exfoliation and cleansing.
Ybmmv :001_smile

Top Bottom