What's new

Are you a skin care junkie?

The best men's skin care routine is the shave finished with a good splash

• YES, I agree!

Votes: 26 56.5%
  • NO, I disagree!

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
Lately I’ve been glancing through some of the posts talking about “skin care”.

I got to admit, I was totally blown away by the sheer amount of stuff some people use daily.

Without quoting, one guy went to explain his daily routine as smth. like this:

- Wash face with face-wash something
- Apply face scrub, exfoliating something
- Rinse face
- Apply pre-shave oil

Lather, shave, then finish by applying:

- Aftershave splash
- Hyaluronic acid
- Face moisturizer
- Aftershave balm

And there I was reading the post, totally bewildered. I was like WTH is this dude on?

Then I’ve read through another post where guys (guys??) discuss night creams and differences in thickness and texture of those creams and go on to debate at length why it is / is not a good idea to wear a tick night cream during the day.

So, IDK if it’s me, maybe I’m old-fashioned or overly simplified guy, but I wholeheartedly believe that all the “skin care” a man needs is a daily shave with a quality soap/cream and a good splash in the end.

At least that’s what I do…

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I will not go into details. This has been developed by @camoloc and myself after many months of research and scientific testing. Once the world patents are fully registered, more will be revealed.

For the time being I can tell you that it involves applying an overnight face mask basically consisting of fresh goat manure, ground and mixed with ice-cold seawater and an aftershave balm whose main constituent is fermented salami paste rubbed well in.

I will not go into details. This has been developed by @camoloc and myself after many months of research and scientific testing. Once the world patents are fully registered, more will be revealed.

For the time being I can tell you that it involves applying an overnight face mask basically consisting of fresh goat manure, ground and mixed with ice-cold seawater and an aftershave balm whose main constituent is fermented salami paste rubbed well in.
... mixed with...

3 oz of Arko, Tabac and the Veg.

Not really, I just face lather and shave. In the shower I use a face soap and sometimes I remember to use aftershave. If my face is hurting from a bad shave or from experimenting with new stuff, I use a balm.

Wet face cloth with hot water, shaving soap, Hyaluronic acid and Witchhazel splashed together and then an AS or AS balm. That even seems over the top to me but that’s all I use/need.

I only use Hyaluronic as I honestly haven’t had a zit or any skin issues in the year or so I have been using it. Plus I’m fancy like that. 🤪

When I first discovered this site my joke with the SO was “let’s be honest, if it weren’t for some variation of shaving, I ( and most guys ) would not wash our face“. Actually I am definitely of the science camp of your natural oils and bacteria are better for your skin than the stripping approach of modern skincare. That said those sorts of statements don’t enamor one to social company :/

( also I do love whatever baby oil like magic is in those SV aftershave balms )

1. Face specific face wash in the shower
2. Shave specific cream or soap to shave
3. Matching balm to finish

My missus thinks I’m a bit of a dandy with my badger brushes, shave routine, and imported soaps / balms but it works for me! Some think it’s eccentric to shave this way. To me it’s just being civilised.

Last edited:
--Soap and hot water in the shower to soften my whiskers.
--Shave with a good soap.
--4711 cologne as an AS splash, or occasionally some other aftershave.
--Very rarely a balm; always Tcheon Fung Sing Bergamotto Neroli.
--For general face care: Trumper's Coral Skin Food.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
IDK if it’s me, maybe I’m old-fashioned or overly simplified guy, but I wholeheartedly believe everyone can do whatever the heck the want to their skin and it’s no business of mine to judge them.

If you want to rub manure on your face every night have it at. If you want to shave with an axe…what do I care. Sure, some of it makes little sense to me but if it makes you happy and you get good results…go to town.

I just use my shave soap or cream for the shave. Afterwards it’s an aftershave and/or balm. That’s it, nothing fancy. I use no special facial scrub. My liquid Doc Bronners soap does that job nicely. I use it when I shower.

When I first discovered this site my joke with the SO was “let’s be honest, if it weren’t for some variation of shaving, I ( and most guys ) would not wash our face“. Actually I am definitely of the science camp of your natural oils and bacteria are better for your skin than the stripping approach of modern skincare. That said those sorts of statements don’t enamor one to social company :/

( also I do love whatever baby oil like magic is in those SV aftershave balms )
SV aftershave are my favorite.

Reactions: Avi

Totally follow a similar regime, I assume that you only do the manure/ seawater mixing by the light of a new moon. And mums the word on who applies this unguent to the face.

I mean I absolutely take care of my skin. Makes little sense to invest so much into shaving the bottom half of my face if I don't at least try and take care of the top half. Always bewildered by the people who use super-fatted soaps and artisinal aftershave balms only to not use anything on the top half of their face. Doesn't it look weird having some oddly supple, conditioned skin only to have crusty, dry and wrinkled skin on the top half. I'm a man of balance, if I do the bottom, I HAVE to do the top lol. It doesn't take much to invest in a somewhat decent face wash, a gentle scrub (though I'd never use it daily, maybe 3x a week tops) and a nice face moisturiser. It's why I use AS that doesn't really have any moisturising properties, I always follow with a full face moisturiser.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I use Proraso preshave, alum, splash. That pretty much covers my skin care routine. I used to use witch hazel but I've kinda forgot about it since acquiring the Dart.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Lately I’ve been glancing through some of the posts talking about “skin care”.

I got to admit, I was totally blown away by the sheer amount of stuff some people use daily.

Without quoting, one guy went to explain his daily routine as smth. like this:

- Wash face with face-wash something
- Apply face scrub, exfoliating something
- Rinse face
- Apply pre-shave oil

Lather, shave, then finish by applying:

- Aftershave splash
- Hyaluronic acid
- Face moisturizer
- Aftershave balm

And there I was reading the post, totally bewildered. I was like WTH is this dude on?

Then I’ve read through another post where guys (guys??) discuss night creams and differences in thickness and texture of those creams and go on to debate at length why it is / is not a good idea to wear a tick night cream during the day.

So, IDK if it’s me, maybe I’m old-fashioned or overly simplified guy, but I wholeheartedly believe that all the “skin care” a man needs is a daily shave with a quality soap/cream and a good splash in the end.

At least that’s what I do…

I'm pretty sure I know the post you're talking about and I think you missed a few products.

Top Bottom