What's new

Are you a skin care junkie?

The best men's skin care routine is the shave finished with a good splash

• YES, I agree!

Votes: 26 56.5%
  • NO, I disagree!

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
Lately I’ve been glancing through some of the posts talking about “skin care”.

I got to admit, I was totally blown away by the sheer amount of stuff some people use daily.

Without quoting, one guy went to explain his daily routine as smth. like this:

- Wash face with face-wash something
- Apply face scrub, exfoliating something
- Rinse face
- Apply pre-shave oil

Lather, shave, then finish by applying:

- Aftershave splash
- Hyaluronic acid
- Face moisturizer
- Aftershave balm

And there I was reading the post, totally bewildered. I was like WTH is this dude on?

Then I’ve read through another post where guys (guys??) discuss night creams and differences in thickness and texture of those creams and go on to debate at length why it is / is not a good idea to wear a tick night cream during the day.

So, IDK if it’s me, maybe I’m old-fashioned or overly simplified guy, but I wholeheartedly believe that all the “skin care” a man needs is a daily shave with a quality soap/cream and a good splash in the end.

At least that’s what I do…
You must be a “YOUNG ‘un.” 👶🏼

Wait ‘til you get OLDER, and WRINKLES and dark circles start appearing out of nowhere. 👨🏼‍🦳

Next thing you know, you’ll be asking yourself, “serum FIRST, or moisturizer first?” 🤔

Circle of life, son. 😉

You must be a “YOUNG ‘un.” 👶🏼

Wait ‘til you get OLDER, and WRINKLES and dark circles start appearing out of nowhere. 👨🏼‍🦳

Next thing you know, you’ll be asking yourself, “serum FIRST, or moisturizer first?” 🤔

Circle of life, son. 😉
Thanks grandpa! 👍😂

I'm currently struggling to find the suitable regime for my pre and post shave.

I liked using alcohol based aftershave but my skin didn't, so currently I'm on a break from shaving due to painful breakouts.

I got good results from balms in winter, not in Summer.

This is going to be my first rainy season with wet shaving and I have no idea what to use as aftershave.

So I can understand why someone is willing to go through lengthy process with skin care especially when it totally works for them.

I'm just hoping to find what works for me soon.

I liked using alcohol based aftershave but my skin didn't, so currently I'm on a break from shaving due to painful breakouts.

This is going to be my first rainy season with wet shaving and I have no idea what to use as aftershave.

So I can understand why someone is willing to go through lengthy process with skin care especially when it totally works for them.

My face does not tolerate most alcohol-based products either. I might suggest you try either Thayer's Witch Hazel or Lucky Tiger as an alternative after-shave. Both are alcohol free and neither is particularly expensive.

Best of luck on your quest!

My face does not tolerate most alcohol-based products either. I might suggest you try either Thayer's Witch Hazel or Lucky Tiger as an alternative after-shave. Both are alcohol free and neither is particularly expensive.

I will look for these, thanks for the recommendation.

BTW, not all balms are created equal. 🤔

A nice, light balm PERFECT for the summer is “Baxter’s of California’s.”

Has a nice, lightly mentholated smell to it, reminds me of summers on the beach. 😊

Also, “TOBS” makes some of the best balms in the biz, IMO.

Their formulations are light and clear. I highly recommend their sandalwood scent. 👍🏼

I will look for these, thanks for the recommendation.

Stirling also make Witch Hazel and Aloe Vera toners (similar to Thayers) that are really good and come in matching scents to their soaps.

Thanks grandpa! 👍😂
OUCH!😳😆
7F9DF760-BDEC-41F6-A905-362F00ECEF66.jpeg

What’s “Lucky Tiger’s” formulation? 🤓

What’s “Lucky Tiger’s” formulation? 🤓
Are you asking what's in Lucky Tiger? If so...

INGREDIENTS: Purified Water (Aqua), Polysorbate 20, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Distillate, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Sodium Hydroxide, Tocopheryl Acetate (Tocopherol Acetate Acetate), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A Palmitate), Trisodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance (Citrus Essential Oils).

Some skin experts say it's important to exfoliate the skin after shaving to avoid 'breakouts.' I now do this instead of a cold water splash after shaving.
I'm no expert, but I've long felt that the act of shaving with a sharp razor in and of itself was all the exfoliation my face can really handle. Everything I do post shave is to mitigate the exfoliation.

I'm no expert, but I've long felt that the act of shaving with a sharp razor in and of itself was all the exfoliation my face can really handle. Everything I do post shave is to mitigate the exfoliation.
Perhaps it's to ensure that any cut stubble does not get into 'open' pores before they contract and thus cause spots and irritation?

Post shave care agent properties can be analysed into:

A ) Antiseptic
B ) Styptic ( vasoconstriction )
C ) Anti-inflammatory / Soothing
D ) Hydrating / Moisturising
E ) Nourishing / Healing /Reconstructing
F ) Rejuvenating / Anti-ageing
G ) Cooling
H ) Protecting

I’m not aware of a single after shave care product that ticks all the above boxes ,
regarding it’s properties.
Since I belong to the ones that wish
as many of the above ,if not all of them ,I do use :

1 ) Neroli hydrosol ice cubes.

2 ) Custom made 75% alcoholic lotion with allantoin ,panthenol,bisabolol and witch hazel extract .

3 ) Custom made serum ,with
Neroli hydrosol,glycerine,Matrixyl
peptides ( Synthe6 & Morphomics ) and two different molecular weight
ranges of sodium hyaluronate .

4 ) Aloe vera gel with Hyaluronic Acid
and vitamin complex,during summer only.

5 ) During winter time I do use
a balm ( Natura Siberica Yak & Yeti asb ).

I never use anything that contains
Phenoxyethanol as a conservative agent, Butylphenyl Methylpropional,
Triethanolamine,
and Dimethicone/Trimethicone .

Add the shaving soaps ,a sunscreen ,a bath soap and a shampoo and those
are all the “mens cosmetics“ I do use on a daily or every other day basis .

Oh ,forgot the alum block
which gets used only as a natural deodorant.

Last edited:
I'm old school. I usually shave right after I shower. The only products I use is shaving cream and aftershave. I have never used any other skin care products. Also for the record I'm a daily shaver. And been specifically shaving every day since I switched over to double edge razors in June of 2019 without missing one day.

I must be a neanderthal... Ivory bar soap to wash my face prior to the shave. A generous rinse with water, then face-lather... A single pass shave with the H1 and rinse thoroughly. Dry face. Splash on the Skin Bracer and begin the day!

Can there possibly be anything more exfoliating than hard steel against your skin? If Badger and Blade types were better at marketing you’d be charging extra for razor burn ;)
Not too sure that a razor really exfoliates the skin in a way that is healthy for the skin though. It's really moreso peeling off the very top layer of skin as opposed to cleaning out the pores. If you have acne prone or blemish prone skin, I could see how keeping the face (especially the pores) clean of residuals oils and fats left by the soap and tiny bits of stubble that didn't wash off in the rinse is important.

I always find it funny when people claim "I'm old school...I'm a traditionalist" as a reason for not bothering with or needing any facial care products other than a soap and a splash. The old school and traditional way when it comes to wet shaving would have been for a gent to go to his barber for a hot towel shave and when you were there your barber would give you a facial and head/shoulder message or other similar treatments which have now fallen out of favour although they are still provided in a lot of traditional Turkish and British barbers (including the likes of Truefitt and Hill) and being able to give a facial is even part of some US state barber license requirements.

Just needing soap/cream/foam and an aftershave splash is really a modern concept for the modern man.

Top Bottom