What's new

Are you a hop addict?

My name is John. This is my first meeting and I am a hop addict. I didn't realize it at first but then winter came and all the holiday ales came out with their rich malts and cinnamon, nutmeg, orange peel flavors... and I just wasn't happy. Then one night I was caught smuggling in a Smutty Nose IPA. I knew then that I had a problem...

Actually I've been a hop head for quite some time and I've known it. Its fun converting others to enjoy the hops!

Guilty. I drink Pliny, too often.
$russian-river-pliny-the-elder.jpg

All right. Who's growing their own?
My bines would be on year four if I hadn't lost the house in the divorce. I'll get some going again once I own a spot of earth again. I had Willamette, Cascade and Tettnang going. The Cascade was a beast but it got better sun. They take a lot of water!

I think I may be on that slippery slope
Mill St Brewery Tankhouse Ale and Muskoka Mad Tom IPA are my local favourites in Southern Ontario. Hobgoblin for imported British ale.

My bines would be on year four if I hadn't lost the house in the divorce. I'll get some going again once I own a spot of earth again. I had Willamette, Cascade and Tettnang going. The Cascade was a beast but it got better sun. They take a lot of water!

Whoa! I've been considering getting some going on the side of my building. And you are in my area! I might hit you up for tips on growing them.

Not much to them. Plant the rhizomes in the spring- preferably along the south side of the building with good sun. Water. :)

There are some good resources online and in books. Just be sure you want to plant them. They are a bugger to kill off.

Not much to them. Plant the rhizomes in the spring- preferably along the south side of the building with good sun. Water. :)There are some good resources online and in books. Just be sure you want to plant them. They are a bugger to kill off.
Thanks! I wouldn't want to kill them, that's for sure! I remember as a teen in Germany finding a hillside with wild hops growing in the woods. Oh, the smell of it! Is there a local source where I can pick up some rhizomes?

Thanks! I wouldn't want to kill them, that's for sure! I remember as a teen in Germany finding a hillside with wild hops growing in the woods. Oh, the smell of it! Is there a local source where I can pick up some rhizomes?

Ohio State University is putting in a hops planting at the South Centers in Piketon. No rhizomes for sale, but something to check out.

Top Bottom