What's new

Are you a common man shaver or a niche shaver?

Like so many things, I suppose it's a matter of perspective. On B&B, my one DE and one shavette, one brand of blade, one boar brush, one AS, and two non-artisanal soaps (which will be whittled down to one, once I figure out which I prefer) makes me as common as an 8d nail. In my RL circle -- who shave once a week (maybe) with electrics or whatever was on sale at Sam's Club, the same rig earns me a masters (if not a doctorate) in la-di-dology.

Definitely not a common shaver here, but my h/w is pretty much vintage and my s/w is not really artisan flavor of day. I’ve actually found myself quite often lately using a multi week used, if not way more, bic select twin disposable with boar and on sale TFS croap rather than the more exclusive products, but g-d damn when i use those more exclusive products, its usually really more sublime.

If you crave for the best there is and not what does the job, then you might be more of a niche shaver, seeking obscure products and solutions.

I have an artisan soap that's not widely available even in specialized shaving stores online. It is my best performer, best scented, easiest to lather, and whatever accolades you can think of. But that's not the only soap I shave with. It's merely just another soap in the arsenal for me. I love using Tabac, MWF, DRH, Proraso, Arko and locally store bought creams.
Agreed. You can go look for better stuff out there but for common shavers, they can still go back to Arko and Derby sticks and enjoy the shaves regardless of the price. The Niche Shavers will probably looks at those with disgust and use their favorite soap. Just guessing haha.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
The way I see it if you are here on B&B reading this thread , then you my friend are not a common Shaver.
Let's face it if you are spending time reading
different post from other people about what they do or use , the rest of the "Normal" people in the world
See us as ..........well not Normal.
It just seems that some of us spend a little less and some of us spend a little more.
And when you only use Razors that cost under $ 50
but have 10 of them what is the difference from someone else that has 2 Razors that cost $250 each.

but have 10 of them what is the difference from someone else that has 2 Razors that cost $250 each.

Great question to which I don't have the answer, even though it's meant to be rhetorical.

I splurged a bit (especially as a newbie) for a Dart and do have a Noble Otter tub. My other soaps/creams are Proraso, Speick, and Tabac (alog with some sample kits). AS is with hazel and usually balms from Mountaineer Brand. I don't now where that leave me.

My income is squarely common man, but if I enjoy something I do not mind investing a little more than many might. When I really got in to cycling, I bought a $3000 carbon bike. The $700 aluminum was more than up to the level of my skill, and still likely is. I don't feel bad about treating myself to an occasional luxury.

The way I see it if you are here on B&B reading this thread , then you my friend are not a common Shaver.
different post from other people about what they do or use , the rest of the "Normal" people in the world
It just seems that some of us spend a little less and some of us spend a little more.
I guess in that way, we're all niche shavers, haha.

I'm in the "budget world traveller" camp. I don't have any luxury products, and I doubt I ever will. I'm fine with budget products, but when I am willing to splurge a bit, it's not for a luxury product, it's for a unique product from a part of the world I've never been to. Since I'm in grad school, and therefore absolutely broke, this is my way of "travelling" for as little as possible and still getting to try some cool products!

I'm somewhere between the two camps.

I don't think any razor I've purchased cost me over $50, no soap over $20. I do admit to splurging on a Simpson BK8 to the tune of $70, but that's about the worst.

I find the TOTAL cost of my collection to be a bit intimidating, but I'm a skinflint.
Isn’t BK8 a Kent brush model designation?

I would put myself in the niche with a battery of 1930's through 1947 single edge razors. The local drug and grocery stores do not stock the shaving soap, blades and brushes that I have purchased, so in the common men's marketplace, I am an outlier.

I would be an abnormal common man shaver I would guess then. :)

I use vintage razors, boar brushes, mid-tier soaps(PgP and Cade), Pinaud Clubman, and just about any blade. I even cut my Thayer's WH with brown bottle WH.

My upscale items are the boar brushes I've received from you!

Another in-betweener here. On some items I am decidedly low-budget like on brushes (I use a $20 RR 400 and a $10 RR Bruce). But on some items, I prefer decidedly more upscale gear. I really like APR and Eufros soaps and AS, and that is on the higher end of the spectrum. On razors, I have a bit of a range. Some really cheap razors ($16 RR SLOC or $20 Fatips) some mid range razors (RR GCs and Mambas) and some higher end options (currently Tatara Masamune and have owned Karve and ATT M1 before).

In other words, I am all over the place.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Common man, here. With the exception of The Veg, every fragrance I've tried can be found in pharmacies, discount, and grocery stores. Canned foams and VDH shaving soap. The most exotic blade I use is a Bic; the fanciest razor a Razorock SLOC.

Common man here totally.

I refuse to spend anymore then $15.00 on a soap and or aftershave. I'm a budget guy at heart and will stretch anything and everything as far and as long as I can. I got into this to save money not spend $400 on a brush. I'd say my biggest and most "upscale" purchase is my Simpson Special S1 Pure Badger brush, but that was right around $25.00. I'm a Razorock / Proraso / Arko guy, aftershaves and soaps. I don't need to go off the deep end with the spending on the "limited" soaps, or the artisan soaps etc etc. To those that enjoy those, rock on.

Top Bottom