What's new

Are you a common man shaver or a niche shaver?

I really like this question and the way it's posited. i sit here trying to compose some sort of thoughtful, worthwhile response yet my synapses seem to fail me. i think what appeals to me most is the timeless aristocrat/pleb issue--not quite the 'haves' and 'have-nots'.

History is rife with examples, not the least of which is our own (American). The Founding Fathers all were aristocratic despite how well spun our school history and social studies textbooks were. They believed the common man, the poor laborer wasn't properly educated enough or experienced enough--certainly not wealthy enough--to properly understand, much less exercise, their voting power. The monarchical context of the word 'subject' illustrates the disdain the upper crust had for the broader masses.

I'm not entirely sure there is any such implication of snobbery where our hobby is concerned--not that I believe the OP intended nor implicitly stated such. But it is certainly within human nature to at least feel a bit more special if you get to use a high end/more expensive product, a little grander or slightly superior to shop at Whole Foods than Kroger/Walmart (though I am very reticent to shop at WF--I have a certain fondness for my money).

If anything, there's a certain tendency to fetishize blue collar and working class tastes. Aqua Velva or Old Spice being perfect examples. Or the seeming neverending obsessions with Williams Mug Soap. It's especially evident how people approach these products with unduly high expectations.

I love Old Spice (in any form) but the mystique with which some people approach debates about "vintage" formulas... you'ld think they were talking about Creed or Penhaligons and not drugstore toiletries.

Id say that Im somewhere in the middle. I enjoy some of the artisan stuff: Timeless razor, mostly artisan soaps but I do enjoy the common man stuff too: Omega and Semogue boar brushes, drug store aftershave (Aqua Velva or Skin Bracer) and I will buy VDH or Arko if there arent any current artisan soaps that Im interested in.

Id say that Im somewhere in the middle. I enjoy some of the artisan stuff: Timeless razor, mostly artisan soaps but I do enjoy the common man stuff too: Omega and Semogue boar brushes, drug store aftershave (Aqua Velva or Skin Bracer) and I will buy VDH or Arko if there arent any current artisan soaps that Im interested in.
I agree with this. Upon further reflection I find that I'm drawn toward artisan soaps, and a razor double in cost of what I thought was reasonable 10 years ago. But I use a boar brush and a cracked bowl from the kitchen for lathering. I have the need to rationalize, only way I can justify a "good"razor.

Shaving, as I believe Gillette himself said, was the one thing linking common working men with the working men who sat in an office and told the actual men who worked in factories what to do.

That theme was used in MANY of Gillettes pre 1940 advertisements. Some as simple as a "suit worker" standing in a subway bathroom getting loaned a Gillette razor or blade from an actual working man. Believe one phrase was "the one thing that links all men together, a good shave from a Gillette razor and blade".

As far as modern world goes, there is indeed a massive amount of self inflicted pretentious behavior in shaving. Especially the manufacturing and advertising end. Everyone remember the idiot guy in the yachting cap who had hundreds of fake facebook accounts being used to fluff his online image and his online commentary about wetshaving...

Last I remember of him, he had a company make a couple out of production razors in plastic and ended up being popular with a web cast and a couple of national level shave conventions.

Shaving is a very common thing, and a lot of people NEED to create self important about the things they shave with in order to feel better then everyone else. Its not a "oh I have better equipment" but a case of "im more important then you are because I just bought 10 different shave soaps this week that cost 30 dollars each, and bought 5 razors that cost 3-500$ each this week"

I am both in regard to fragrances..I have "English Leather" and "Brut" sitting next to "Dior Sauvage" and "Chanel Blue". However, I am probably more Common Man when it comes to razors and soaps. They are mostly inexpensive Gillette varieties bought off Ebay. No artisan pieces. Same with soaps. Mostly Drugstore aerosol shaving creams and some inexpensive shaving soaps that I only use occasionally. No pre-treatments.

I am not rich, far of that. Put I am a passionate person. I use proraso green, clubman, and medium quality foam, and soap. But I have invest in good quality razors. Shaving was a contraint for me before, and I had turn it in a full pleasure. Is there passion cheaper than other. Imho

Common man here, I think, but always searching for the perfect razor with the least problems for my easily pore blocked skin. All those cartridge years with ingrown and picking them out with tweezers. Something that doesn't do it too close or not too close seems to be perfect. And that best shave for me. Very hard to achieve, very hard to find that perfect razor. That's with Every single razor so far and that includes about everything over 50+ years. All seem to be a compromise. Some better than others. Everyone settles with some settling better than others. TMO!