What's new

Are we grail knights?

It's a question that's been vexing me lately.

I've been DE shaving for a few years now, and never settled on a particular soap, blade or razor for more than a few weeks. And I think I enjoy the never ending quest too much to settle. Is there even a grail?

Anyone says 'ni' I'll bite their kneecaps...

I have not settled on a soap. I rotate 8 different scents, however after a little under a year, I found my grail.

I had 35! different DE razors, I then shaved with a 1934 aristocrat, and a month later I have 4 left. I sold nearly my entire den once I discovered MY perfect shave. I have a #16 on its way to see what all the fuss is about, but I see myself going down to just the 34' by summer.

OT: I think everyone is looking for the next best thing/being a collector and always in the hunt and enjoying rad. However I have seen a few who have found their grail and sold of their collection too.

I'm gravitating to using my MWF, Cella, and Proraso Red soaps more. I think the real grail is sticking with something and progressively getting better. It's the journey that makes it enjoyable, not finding the grail. Once I find the grail, if I ever do, I feel that I'll probably get bored with the process as where do you go from there?

I've had my travails, switching back to carts when I found I couldn't steadily move a razor laterally. But even with soap and brush a chave is a pretty soulless affair. So I retaught myself to use a DE razor using N-S and S-N passes that gets me close to BBS, bought two new long handled razors, a selection of Russian blades, and a supply of Italian soaps. This morning I celebrated six shaves on a single blade(Rapira Swede). And yet I've just loaded a Gillette Stainless for the morning.

Will someone throw my razor in a lake after my days?

It's the journey, not the destination. Besides, what will happen to all the wet shaving manufacturers, vendors and back room soap making operations once we settle on one product. They will all say "Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm" and disappear from the face of the earth. Monopoly is not good, unless we're talking about the board game.

If anything is the grail, it would be the Den itself. The den that offers an endless number of experiences to enjoy as we continuously transform it.

I'm quite content with my very simple kit...
One razor - ATT Kronos H1.
One blade - Astra SP.
One soap - Arko!
One brush - Omega 10065.
Two aftershaves - Clubman or Aqua Velva.

Day in and day out it's this set-up and I couldn't be happier :thumbup:

I have been wet shaving for nearly five years. I enjoy the wide selection of soaps available especially artisan soaps, each one brings their own uniqueness to my daily shave.

I also enjoy trying a variety of blades too.

I don't feel like I'm looking for a grail, but I am constantly seeking out good quality at low prices.
I'd be content with my Ever Ready 1924 and a lifetime supply of Arko sticks, Treet CS blades, and Aramis the rest of my life.

I am well settled on my cream, aftershave, and DE razor. Not too much hunting for me, it was pretty quick.

It's the journey, not the destination. Besides, what will happen to all the wet shaving manufacturers, vendors and back room soap making operations once we settle on one product. They will all say "Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm" and disappear from the face of the earth. Monopoly is not good, unless we're talking about the board game.

"Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm"
i maybe completely sleep deprived... But what does this mean? I know I am missing something and am going to feel like an idiot

Top Bottom