What's new

Are we doing this right?

I have somewhere around 15 safety razors and 25 straight razors. The safety razors include open comb and safety bar, DE and SE with both AC blades and Schick injector blades, Aggressiveness range from a very mild Weishi/VDH TTO to the Muhle R41. \

When shaving multiple day's growth, I generally do my first pass with a moderately aggressive open comb razor (Parker 25C) to knock down the growth. A straight razor is also good for this purpose. Then to protect my sensitive skin, I switch to safety bar razors with moderate aggression. Finally, I do a clean-up pass with the mild Weishi/VDH TTO equipped with a super sharp blade such as a BIC Chrome Platinum or Nacet. That allows me to get a near BBS shave without irritation.

Of course, a superb lather is required to make this possible if you have sensitive skin. I would think that after a bout with chickenpox that you skin would be quite easily irritated.

I have somewhere around 15 safety razors and 25 straight razors. The safety razors include open comb and safety bar, DE and SE with both AC blades and Schick injector blades, Aggressiveness range from a very mild Weishi/VDH TTO to the Muhle R41. \

When shaving multiple day's growth, I generally do my first pass with a moderately aggressive open comb razor (Parker 25C) to knock down the growth. A straight razor is also good for this purpose. Then to protect my sensitive skin, I switch to safety bar razors with moderate aggression. Finally, I do a clean-up pass with the mild Weishi/VDH TTO equipped with a super sharp blade such as a BIC Chrome Platinum or Nacet. That allows me to get a near BBS shave without irritation.

Of course, a superb lather is required to make this possible if you have sensitive skin. I would think that after a bout with chickenpox that you skin would be quite easily irritated.
Thanks for feedback, and must say I couldn't agree more on lathering and prep advice. I had just 2 varicela scars on chin but could easily glide with razor over it (R89 and Fatip Piccolo surprisingly), so it's just one of the things which inspired me for this thread ☺️

Once you start preparing and shaving like you have some skin condition (moisture, lather, prep, new blade, 0 pressure) it's easy to achieve great result. Contrary to mainstream guides I find that OC irritate my face less (less passes, lower pressure, higher efficiency) so "agressive" razors work "gently" for me, while with "gentle" razors when I know there's no damage to be done (severe cuts) I press hard, pay less attention and cause more damage with milder setup 🧐. Then I remember to "loosen-up" a bit and stay focused. Mild, effortless shave is NOT an inefficient one and certainly no need to be painful. Lot of time I enjoy graduatelly mild beard reduction, pass after pass, so nothing wrong with mild razors.

Short break did reset me to "act like your skin would peel off" and surprisingly - shave WAS efficient, no fuss about, just plain prep & razor geometry. No need for "uber-razors" unless you like them, dive in water as you feel comfortable. Still there is a lot, and I mean a LOT of great stuff that could deliver great shaves at reasonable cost.

Thanks for feedback, and must say I couldn't agree more on lathering and prep advice. I had just 2 varicela scars on chin but could easily glide with razor over it (R89 and Fatip Piccolo surprisingly), so it's just one of the things which inspired me for this thread ☺️

Once you start preparing and shaving like you have some skin condition (moisture, lather, prep, new blade, 0 pressure) it's easy to achieve great result. Contrary to mainstream guides I find that OC irritate my face less (less passes, lower pressure, higher efficiency) so "agressive" razors work "gently" for me, while with "gentle" razors when I know there's no damage to be done (severe cuts) I press hard, pay less attention and cause more damage with milder setup 🧐. Then I remember to "loosen-up" a bit and stay focused. Mild, effortless shave is NOT an inefficient one and certainly no need to be painful. Lot of time I enjoy graduatelly mild beard reduction, pass after pass, so nothing wrong with mild razors.

Short break did reset me to "act like your skin would peel off" and surprisingly - shave WAS efficient, no fuss about, just plain prep & razor geometry. No need for "uber-razors" unless you like them, dive in water as you feel comfortable. Still there is a lot, and I mean a LOT of great stuff that could deliver great shaves at reasonable cost.

Your experience with aggressive and non-aggressive razors is common. Because people perceive non-aggressive razors to be less efficient, they try to improve the efficiency by shaving with pressure. The result is irritation. It is unlikely that they would try shaving with pressure using an R41. Whether you are using a super aggressive razor or an extremely mild one, you should never use pressure.

That is why I start out with a more efficient, moderately aggressive razor and then progress to a less efficient, mild one for my final pass.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Couldn't you say this about almost everything? When I was 20 my golf bag had clubs from 5 or 6 manufacturers, most of them hand-me-downs. I had a good time with them. Sure, I play a whole lot better now, but I could still make them work.

I purchased a whole lot of cars with 70,000 miles on them. Most of the time they still got me where I needed to go. Our first apartment was always cold. The thermostat was in the first apartment and the steam heat would eventually get to us, 3rd in the loop. The people in the first apartment were always hot. I'm still here to tell the story. But now I live in a nice house and drive an Audi A6 that I purchased new. My father put me through college so I could live better than him, and I'm never going to apologize for fulfilling his dream. Am I softer - waaaaaaaaaaaaaay softer. I like being spoiled.

I've got a $35 razor and a $12 brush. They still work. The only reason I don't use them is that they don't work as well as my Wolfman and my Semogues. Am I spoiled? You bet I am.

Everyone understands that small improvements in quality come at a high price. Everyone must decide where their own comfort level falls on the luxury scale. Some shavers refuse to spend more than $5 on soap and they enjoy their shaves and live happy lives. Some shavers refuse to buy soap cheaper than $15 and they enjoy their shaves and live happy lives.

People have different wallets, desires and comfort levels. It's good to occasionally question where we are so we can make good decisions for ourselves. How do you know if you've made a good decision?

You didn't spend your family food budget on razors and you enjoy your shaves and live a happy life.

If you want to live like your ancestors do that and be happy. I'd pick my generation carefully, at some point they shoveled coal for heat and one of my grandfather's houses didn't have indoor plumbing. But we all have a comfort level, and comfort is a lovely luxury. I recommend grabbing some.

When I started shaving in the early 1960’s my parents bought me a Remington electric. I used that until going into the military where we had to use a DE. I then transitioned finally to a Gillette Atra 2 blade cart. I used it contently for many years until I couldn’t easily find the cart blades anymore. I didn’t like any of the new carts I saw with 4&5 blades and very light plastic handles, so I started the search that lead me back to DE razors.

I have learned that research is just part of leading me to a razor that I like. Until I use it I really don’t know. The more I try the more I learn. The more I learn helps me understand the difference between need and want.

When I was in High School, I told Mom tht I wanted one of the Gillette Razors like the kind advertised on Monday nite football. I don't recall what she brought home, but it was a butterfly type with opening ring c0llar at the top of the handle under the head. It could have been a Slim Twist, but I recall Mom would often bring home blades when grocery shopping - they were always Englsh Wikinson Swords.
In college, I got a sample Trac II & some blades. I got a bunch of girls to go flirt with the Gillette Rep and they hauled off most of his sample blades & gave them to me. I still have the handle and a couple of blades left, several decades later.
After college, Mom found my old razor, still in the plastic box, with several packs of Wilkinsons, so I was all set. I had that razor up until I built my house, and the razor disappeared somewhere along the way. I ended up inheriting Grandpa's straight razor, a strop & brush. I've still got the brush. I also got a Gillette Tech that looked like he seldom used it.
Eventually I began accumulating various vintage razors and today have more razors than fingers & toes.

If you've no interest in accumulating mass quantities of razorage, go find a Schick Krona. They're mild, but will give you a shave unsurpassed by more spendy razors. Don't be intimidated with stuff like "aggressive" blades or razors. The guys who boast of loading their FeatherBlades into an adjustable razor, then cranking it up to Max, are either just boastful showoffs, or have the Neanderthal tough beard gene.

I've owned these razors so far (in chronological order):

1. A cheap super aggressive Rimei
2. Gillette Super Adjustable
3. Feather Popular
4. Henson AL13 <--diminishing returns
5. Gillette Super Blue <--gave me exactly what I needed at a low price
6. Gillette Tech

I never went down the soap rabbit hole. I just buy some when I run out and it doesn't need to be anything fancy. They all work pretty well for me.
Everyone should have a Gillette Super Blue. I have three, all on aluminium or titanium handles. 😀

I have 2 aggressive razors Nodachi and R41 and one for daily use R89. Then one “travel” razor Wilkinson TTO. I feel I don’t need anything else atm each of them has it’s purpose. My only gripe is that my daily razor is from least durable pot metal zamak. If there was R89 Stainless I would buy it without any hesitation.

Please let me know what razor/equipment worked similar for you:
  • cost low-mid money
  • gave you expected results you could live with
  • make you feel like you're ending your quest for a perfect shave
  • something that you could settle on and never* buy anything more (unless needed or at super discount :D)
  • what is your "I think I went over the line with this..." thing? (diminishing return)
Ohhh - this is all very YMMV and how much you want to spend on this hobby / addiction. So far I have been able to retain myself from the really high end razors although I absolutely love the pictures other gents post on these threads.

But I have not been able to restrain myself from buying more razors than I really need. I could have been very satisfied with just the KCG when I restarted wet shaving. I bought a Fatip to see if I could punch up the efficiency - which it does to me. Although both give me great BBS’s.

And then RAD kicked in. I bought another Fatip (‘for travelling’) and then along came the Razorine Flatboy. Amazingly smooth. Needed? No, KCG and Fatip do the job too. More efficient? Yes, I could get away with a two pass shave. And with a handle to spare from the Razorine I bought a R41 head. Needed? Definitely not, but I wanted to know first hand what it would be like given its reputation. Amazing results by the way, so pleased with the experience. All my razors deliver spectacular results (with the right blade combo). So I’m set!

All things considered I still think i could have gotten great shaves with just the KCG. Same goes for blades. I used to have only KCG’s and now there are Dorco’s, Tigers, Titans, Sharks…and there is fun in using them. Soaps? O, man! The variety! Aftershaves, ditto! Although I get feedback from the mrs that she still prefers me to use Proraso only.

Wet shaving has definitely done wonders for my skin. For sure. And that’s why I continue. And that’s why I committed myself to GRUME - to make sure I keep things in perspective. Again, YMMV and my wish list simply grows with the suggestions I get from B&B!

Best,

Guido

I could have stopped buying safety razors after I bought my Fatboy, but of course, I didn’t. Now I am going down the SE rabbit hole with GEMs and Injectors. Plus, I had to buy another superspeed and a red tip. Who knows what I’ll buy next? 😂

For me wet-shaving is not a 'collecting' hobby. It's all about the result of the shave, and the most comfortable way to get to that result. I guess I might call myself fortunate –in a financial way– to stumble up on a Fatip OC as my second purchase. Cheap, aesthetically a clear winner and oh so efficient and comfortable.
All my 'expensive' or 'up market' purchases have been huge disappointments: $100 Supply Single Edge, $100 Mühle R41GS (too heavy, too long, too harsh), $200 OUMO Exceed Shaving Brush G5 Syn (ebonite stinks, brush is too large), Razorock Santa Maria Del Fiore shaving soap. The jury's still out on my $100 Feather AC shavette (no way it's ever going to give me a closer shave!) Only exception to this rule is a tub of Martin de Candre Shaving soap, and I'm still considering the fate of
All my 'cheap' or 'man-in-the-street' stuff works magic: Tabac, Yaqi synthetic brush, Omega boar brush, Proraso Green/White, Proraso After Shave Splash Green, Willy's DE shaving blades...
I learned that a comfortable weight for a razor is ±75gr and that I prefer handles shorter than 10cm and longer than 7cm and the diameter should be 10-11mm. I learned that bowl lathering is a waste of time (in favour of face lathering!), that pre-shave products don't really add anything to the shave (a hot shower does the job, thank you!), that an as-cold-as-possible wet cloth helps better than alum blocks and that despite all claims, tallow is not necessary to get a good shave! I do prefer the sting of a good alcohol based splash over any balm available and where it comes to scents, I like them straightforward, not overly 'perfumy' and not woody but rather tangy (lime)

I do not get excited by the multitude of 'artisan' soaps, 'artisan' razor makers e.a. There's way to much marketing going on (I'd say especially in the U.S.A.), I do NOT need rocket science to give me a proper razor, NOR do I need marine grade SS. I believe the old, more 'traditional' companies do have quality on offer at very reasonable prices. And: I do NOT trust curated reviews on manufacturers web sites!

Well, anyway... I have my very 1st tub of ARKO and a tub of Simpson's shaving cream on its way to good old Zimbabwe. I'm looking at smaller brushes like Semogue to see where the 'lower' limit is, a tub of MdC Agrumes is under consideration as are some AS lotions from Myrsol. (Oh and if Fatip ever releases an SS version of their OC's I'd go for it...)

Absolutely! If the internet were to cease to exist tomorrow, all of us would likely happily shave with the equipment we had until we died. Spending more money on equipment and consumables won't guarantee better shaves. Spending more time with the equipment you have will likely deliver better shaves.

The rabbit holes are real, you just don't have to choose to go down all of them! :)
Amen to that. My $12 "best badger" brush from KISC on Amazon will likely be the last brush I buy. I really like it. I realize it's because I don't know, "what different is..." but I'm good with that. I find it unlikely a different brush will yield a better shave.

Amen to that. My $12 "best badger" brush from KISC on Amazon will likely be the last brush I buy. I really like it. I realize it's because I don't know, "what different is..." but I'm good with that. I find it unlikely a different brush will yield a better shave.
Oh come on, you have to at least get a Rudy Vey synthetic before calling it quits! There should be another contributor brush next year, so that would allow you to plan ahead and practice patience that most of us don't have. I know I did on the last one and I still missed out after waiting 6 months, so I PMed him and got something custom.

Oh come on, you have to at least get a Rudy Vey synthetic before calling it quits! There should be another contributor brush next year, so that would allow you to plan ahead and practice patience that most of us don't have. I know I did on the last one and I still missed out after waiting 6 months, so I PMed him and got something custom.
Maybe one day.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If you've no interest in accumulating mass quantities of razorage, go find a Schick Krona. They're mild, but will give you a shave unsurpassed by more spendy razors.

Mine is better looking than average by far I think. It came from eBay with shipping for ten bucks, but I was lucky enough to jump at a great deal.

Krona.640.6-18-18.JPG

I wish the handle were fat. Still, the razor is drama free and very very good.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The line that sticks with me is:

"like our elders used to do"

When reading and contributing here, poring over every minutiae of ever razor, blade, gap, exposure, soap, brush, bowl, blade characteristics, etc...I often think about men from the early to mid 20th century.

They had far fewer options, and likely viewed shaving as a tedious daily task, which leads me to believe that they made do with whatever they had, without much fuss.

One razor, one blade, one brush, one mug of soap.

We're spoiled, and the current crop of manufacturers profit from it.

As far as equipment, I get fantastic shaves from my vintage $5 ball-end Techs and could be perfectly happy using that forever, with Astra blades, Proraso Red, an inexpensive Omega boar brush, and Old Spice or Clubman AS.

On the modern front, my taste is also modest, and my current favorite being a $65 Razorock Game Changer 68P with a UFO handle.

I would be happy with either of those being my one and only, forever razor.
My great grandfather on my mom's side used a Rolls Razor. So did my grandpa on my father's side. My grandpa (WW2 vet) on my mom's side would save the "tag ends" of the shower soap, and stick them in his shaving mug, and that was his shave soap.

My first razor was a black plastic Gillette 7 O'Clock deal, warped so badly that nothing was plumb. I paired that with the best hand soap my sink dispenser put out. With practice, I got some of my best shaves with that set up. BBS for real.
Moved on to other razors when that one broke (hinges wore out). Lord L9, good, but eventually broke (dropped). RR Mission, was frustratingly difficult to use, so switched to Feather TTO. Last was a SLOC head for the RR handle. I need go no further. The SLOC is enough to get good shaves with no irritation, if properly lubed. I could go back to the Feather, and that would be adiquate. Currently back to the Mission, now that I know how to get a top-notch lather.
Started with Skin Bracer. I need go no further. ...but I did, and I probably will again.
I've tried enough soaps to know what works. I don't need to spend a lot. I probably will try more.
My first brush was a Bambino. She's more faithful than a woman, and we're still together. I might try a Stirling synthetic, but my Bambino and I have been through a lot. She's a good little brush, and I don't need to change.

I bought some OS AS. Didn't need to - just curious. It smells like very old, very non-spicy flowers.
I'm considering samples from PAA, Stirling, and Soap Commander - soaps and AS. Why? Because.
This is not having gone too far, but it's contemplating going too far.
I don't NEED any of it.

I've probably used over 100+ razors at this point, from dollar store razors to $400 razors in the last 15 years. The setup below represents some of my more 'premium' items, with a combined cost of about $700.
cartoon1673820753201.png

The above setup has a combined cost of just under $40. The top setup shaves better, and leaves my face feeling better than the bottom setup, which is about 95% as good. So a 5% improvement in shave quality cost me over $600. It's a very pretty $600, and the brush alone has paid for itself many times over, over the years. The $2 shave cream and the $50 soap are probably about equal in terms of cost per shave, so that's a bit of a wash.

For a better comparison, a $15 Mythus razor (KAI Luffy clone) shaves almost as good as a $318 Tedalus Essence.

There isn't a king on Earth that could buy a superior shave setup than the top one, and I've had "where but in his shave, can a common man afford the same things as a king?" In my signature line on various forums for quite some time.

I would even go so far as to say that the quality of lather is the #1 most important part of a shave, followed by blade choice. If you've mastered the craft, you can get great results with nearly any razor. I would even go so far as to say that the brush is more important than the razor.

Envy is the single fastest way I know of to suck all the joy out of this hobby. Enjoy what you have, admire other people's stuff, and work on mastering your shaving techniques with your own stuff. There aren't any magical properties that will make one razor turn you into a better shaver. Time and practice are better teachers than any product you can buy.

Top Bottom