What's new

Are we alone?

Life does indeed find a way.

I didn’t have fish in my pond before but they are there now. How did they get there? – Pond & Lake Q & A
Something seeds ponds like above.

How did life come to be on Earth? Something also seeds planets. Comets and asteroid impacts carrying certain elements.

NEO Basics

If it happened here, its reasonable to expect it has elsewhere considering there are such a great number of planets out there.

The pond life came from the feet of birds that had visited another pond nearby and brought those "seeds" with them. Again the possibility is plausible given infinite time spans, but we don't have infinite time within which to work we have 14 billion years.

In relation to this story, the common aphorism "no two snowflakes are alike" is pure bunkum,as there has never been a conclusive study on the matter. On any given snowstorm, how many snowflakes are there? and who has compared them all? And then factor in all of the snowstorms there are on a given winter, or in all of the winters ever, and I think You may very well find at least two snowflakes that are identical.

I'm accepting grant money to conduct this study. Please send money.

That would make a great Go-Fund-Me project :)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The pond life came from the feet of birds that had visited another pond nearby and brought those "seeds" with them. Again the possibility is plausible given infinite time spans, but we don't have infinite time within which to work we have 14 billion years.

The universe is roughly 14 billion years old. Earth is much younger.

I dont see time as pertinent in this. I see chance.

What are the chances everything will come together like it has here on Earth, on another planet.

How might life begin and evolve given different base elements, or even can it?

If it happened here, it has elsewhere.

What would be proof of life finding a way would be building a pond on the moon and finding fish in it after a few years!

But you would likely find fishermen fishing in it before you would find fish in it, at least judging from my fishing experiences over the course of 52 years.!!:001_tt2:

Yes but the problem is your equation leaves out time itself. For time is the constriction and limit upon your possibility. you don't have infinity in which to work you only have about 14 billion years. And thus the possible becomes millions of orders of magnitude less possible. :a29:

Time is the KILLER of dreams and fantasies!

Time is also ad infinitum in the universe. It does not stop and it does not start. It has always been and it always will be.

Given infinite time and infinite possibilities it is impossible for something/anything to not happen

What would be proof of life finding a way would be building a pond on the moon and finding fish in it after a few years!

But you would likely find fishermen fishing in it before you would find fish in it, at least judging from my fishing experiences over the course of 52 years.!!:001_tt2:

You should have seen "the one that got away...it was THIIIIIS big!"

Time is also ad infinitum in the universe. It does not stop and it does not start. It has always been and it always will be.

Given infinite time and infinite possibilities it is impossible for something/anything to not happen

Again what you don't get is infinite time, you can't get it because it doesn't exist. The universe and all it's contents are not infinite but are finite. just as time is not infinite but finite and the boundaries that we believe to correct are at this point on the order of 14 billion years.
That estimate may increase or decrease some over the next hundred years, but it will not likely expand to become infinity. It will remain a VAST constriction upon possibility.

You should have seen "the one that got away...it was THIIIIIS big!"

Golleeee.......

proxy.php

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Man I need to go to work for NASA! They share my mindset! See a body of water, fish a body of water, who cares if its just a sewage settlement pond, there could be fish there! Or who cares if its the neighbors swimming pool, it looks like there could be life forms in it!

Yeah but these are catch and release only lol.

1339290_large.jpg

Again what you don't get is infinite time, you can't get it because it doesn't exist. The universe and all it's contents are not infinite but are finite. just as time is not infinite but finite and the boundaries that we believe to correct are at this point on the order of 14 billion years.
That estimate may increase or decrease some over the next hundred years, but it will not likely expand to become infinity. It will remain a VAST constriction upon possibility.

This comes from the same scientists who, not too long ago, said the world was flat and if you traveled too far you would fall off.

Sure both groups were the smartest and best educated of their time but I do not subscribe to the answers of today's experts just like I do not believe the "fall off the world" experts.

I will always maintain an open mind and view opinions of experts based on current knowledge and beliefs, not as unshakeable "facts". The only true facts are that we know little and most of what we think we know will be proven false over time.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The only true facts are that we know little and most of what we think we know will be proven false over time.

I agree.

“What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean.”

Isaac Newton

OK so things like the multiplication tables are going to be updated in the future is that what you are saying?
Because yes theories do change and grow over the years and with scientific discoveries, but the basic Laws of the universe have not changed all that much. Newton's laws and such have been a little amended in very small ways but none have been overthrown.

And much of what we are talking about such as the age of the matter in the universe is either like the multiplication tables and Newton's laws or they are like the theory that the earth is flat. You can't have it both ways my friends.
Either the math is correct of pretty near correct or the Laws of the universe are forever changing and evolving which means in essence that there is NOTHING that is rational.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
In relation to this story, the common aphorism "no two snowflakes are alike" is pure bunkum,as there has never been a conclusive study on the matter. On any given snowstorm, how many snowflakes are there? and who has compared them all? And then factor in all of the snowstorms there are on a given winter, or in all of the winters ever, and I think You may very well find at least two snowflakes that are identical.

I'm accepting grant money to conduct this study. Please send money.

Go fund me campaigns and kick starter posts are not allowed. :lol:

Whoah now! What evidence is there that time and the universe are finite? One theory is that with the Big Bang, the universe started 14 billion years ago, but that is far from rock solid conclusive.

This comes from the same scientists who, not too long ago, said the world was flat and if you traveled too far you would fall off.

Sure both groups were the smartest and best educated of their time but I do not subscribe to the answers of today's experts just like I do not believe the "fall off the world" experts.

I will always maintain an open mind and view opinions of experts based on current knowledge and beliefs, not as unshakeable "facts". The only true facts are that we know little and most of what we think we know will be proven false over time.

I suppose several thousand years isn't long in a geologic sense. Yes, folks have known the earth war round for a very long time, and even had fair estimates of the size. The "fall off the edge of the earth" legend was made from whole cloth by none other than Washington Irving, of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow fame. In the days of Columbus, folks knew quite well the earth was round, and that Columbus' calculations of size were too small, and that the Indies were much further away.

OK so things like the multiplication tables are going to be updated in the future is that what you are saying?
Because yes theories do change and grow over the years and with scientific discoveries, but the basic Laws of the universe have not changed all that much. Newton's laws and such have been a little amended in very small ways but none have been overthrown.

And much of what we are talking about such as the age of the matter in the universe is either like the multiplication tables and Newton's laws or they are like the theory that the earth is flat. You can't have it both ways my friends.
Either the math is correct of pretty near correct or the Laws of the universe are forever changing and evolving which means in essence that there is NOTHING that is rational.

Bingo.

I am a believer in chaos theory mathematics.

Chaos: When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future

Top Bottom