What's new

Are we all a bit---odd?

I don't think I'm odd at all! Nor was my father from whom I have inherited (fortunately while he is still alive and kicking) a Rolls razor and his father's straight.

My choice of shaving gear is based purely around pleasure - why turn it into a chore by switching to tinned foam and a 'mortgage per blade' vibrating monstrosity?

Cheers!

Huon

You know, OP, you're more likely taking for granted the dexterity and health required for a good, safe shave. That, coupled with the greater risk of injury, cost of subsequent recovery and risk of complication in old age is more than enough justification to switch to a safer alternative in old age...especially if you've got your wife of 50 years worrying about you.

Many of us will have to give up activities because our body requires it; safety and ability change with age. Giving up more traditional forms of shaving will likely become a necessity rather than option when age related complications are a reality.

This is the truth. Definitely. And many of them also have very fragile skin and are taking blood thinners because of prior strokes, etc., so that a small nick could bleed a considerable amount.

As to the original question posed: Are we odd? I'd have to say that the OP definitely is, but I'm not. :rolleyes::wink:

Sure, we are a bit odd.

For me, one of the advantages of advancing years has been that I don't feel the press of conformity as much as I did when I was younger.

When I die, I will have a long list of things I would have liked to do and see, but time, situation and circumstance will have thwarted many of these desires. I can't afford to let the need to stay within the bounds of real or perceived expectations further limit me.

I wet shave, most others don't. Big deal.

How often does the subject come up, unless I push it, anyway?

Last night I was out at a birthday party and somebody mentioned travel to Germany, and products that were more or less expensive here in the USA. I chimed in that I'd heard that Tabac shaving soap was supposed to be less costly where it was produced, and that I'd asked my brother to pick some up on his upcoming trip to Germany.

A short conversation on shaving started, with one older gent opining that any return to wet shaving was foolish. I said I enjoyed it, and that my shaves were cheaper, better and lasted longer.

One of my wife's girlfriends, who has seen the gear collection at our house, said my bride had mentioned that I was less prickly, and that her husband the electric user soon felt like he hadn't shaved at all. I told her I used to be that way, but it was no longer a problem.

I soon had four lovely ladies checking the veracity of my claim by feeling my face.

After that rather pleasant, if mildly embarrassing, experience was over, I told the older wet shaving skeptic that traditional shaving seemed to have other benefits. He didn't have a response, other than a rather incredulous look.

Odd, yes, but worth it.

Sure, we are a bit odd.

For me, one of the advantages of advancing years has been that I don't feel the press of conformity as much as I did when I was younger.

When I die, I will have a long list of things I would have liked to do and see, but time, situation and circumstance will have thwarted many of these desires. I can't afford to let the need to stay within the bounds of real or perceived expectations further limit me.

Last night I was out at a birthday party and somebody mentioned travel to Germany, and products that were more or less expensive here in the USA. I chimed in that I'd heard that Tabac shaving soap was supposed to be less costly where it was produced, and that I'd asked my brother to pick some up on his upcoming trip to Germany.

A short conversation on shaving started, with one older gent opining that any return to wet shaving was foolish. I said I enjoyed it, and that my shaves were cheaper, better and lasted longer.

One of my wife's girlfriends, who has seen the gear collection at our house, said my bride had mentioned that I was less prickly, and that her husband the electric user soon felt like he hadn't shaved at all. I told her I used to be that way, but it was no longer a problem.

I soon had four lovely ladies checking the veracity of my claim by feeling my face.

After that rather pleasant, if mildly embarrassing, experience was over, I told the older wet shaving skeptic that traditional shaving seemed to have other benefits. He didn't have a response, other than a rather incredulous look.

Odd, yes, but worth it.

Great story!

I wear a Fedora everyday.

I wear real bowties-always.

I prefer wristwatches or pocketwatches that have to be wound.

I choose to use a Mug, Brush, Shaving Soap or Tubed Creme and a DE Razor.

Eccentric to some? Perhaps.

Uniquely me in my world? Yes.

"When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him." -- Jonathan Swift

I, for one, have always thought that it was good to be odd.

Last edited:
Is odd good or bad?

Charles Manson is odd.

Johnny Cash was odd.

Adolf Hitler was odd.

Ghandi was odd.

Each of those guys were likely attempting to do something that, even though it differed from the mainstream, they thought was the right path. Odd can be both good and bad; as can be anxious, impressive, determined, and numerous other descriptive words.

Health certainly is an issue for old shavers:
My dad (76) would dearly love to return to wetshaving, but he has Parkinson's Disease, so this is really not an option for him.

As to being odd, there is a popular saying here: "Only dead fish swim with the current."

Ever wonder why lemmings run off the edge of the cliff with the pack every year? One reason could be that at least two from every generation hang back. At least two odd ones from every generation question convention and refuse to follow the pack.

I think we're odd - as interpreted by "the unenlightened." Beyond that, no, I honestly don't think we're odd.

If being odd is refusing to conform, then I'm guilty as charged. The best advice my father gave me was "Son make your own way, don't worry about the others". Being odd feels good.

No we are not odd, it is the rest of the people who are. When you think about it why would anybody want to run a razor over the face with 6 or more blades that hack their face apart, just thinking about it makes me imagine a plot out of a Stephen King novel.
I think we're odd - as interpreted by "the unenlightened." Beyond that, no, I honestly don't think we're odd.
As for the other people who see us as odd, all I would say to them is .... Those who are deemed worthy to receive the light...
Andy.

Am I odd because I use pomade and wax instead of gel and mouse? Yes

Anybody that uses a mouse to shave I would call odd !!!! :tongue_sm

Is the gel cheese flavoured, rubbed onto the whiskers and the mouse eats the whiskers away or something ??? :rolleyes:

Sure, we are a bit odd.

Odd, yes, but worth it.
Similar experience at a club the other night. I leaned in to hug and great a friend, she started facesturbating me and it drew many of her friends.

Op, we're odd. No if and's or but's. I enjoy shaving with a 3 by 6/8's peice of steel sharper than most surgical tools.

Last edited:
Top Bottom