What's new

Are Wahl DE safety razors descent quality?

Okay. I'm new to the whole safety razor/wet shaving game. Just trying to decide on a first safety razor. I'd like to get something decent. Any suggestions? Would a Wahl be a good or a bad idea? Thanks

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Cool, a cheap way to start off could be the Jack the Barber range at your local Woolworths. I think they are on special this week. The range consists of a DE Razor, Synthetic brush, DE blades and a Tub of Sandalwood Shaving Cream. Google it if you have a chance. I have used all the products and they work well considering they are made in China. I did a review in The Great Southern Land Forum a few years ago.

Thank you. I'm in Melbourne, Australia
Not affiliated but these guys have a wide selection of brushes and razors.

24mm Synth Brush and the entry level DE for 19.95 should get you going.

Not affiliated but these guys have a wide selection of brushes and razors.

24mm Synth Brush and the entry level DE for 19.95 should get you going.
Thanks so much. I really appreciate it. I'll check it out.

Welcome to the forum.
If I'm not mistaken, the Wahl razor, is the adjustable one that can be bought at the shavershop? It looks OK, but to my eyes it looks similar to the futur clones (ming shi, Q shave etc) made in china. So if you like the look of the Wahl, there's those alternatives I mentioned, that can be had significantly cheaper.

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. They sell a few different Wahls at the Shavorshop, one of which is the adjustable. I'm thinking of maybe their $35 one as a first try. But, I might bust out a bit more money for a better razor. From what I've read the Merkur or Muhle might be better quality?

Something like a Gillette Super Blue via AliE or a Lord L5 will cost you peanuts, will shave right and are optimal for a travel razor once you decide that you like the shaves and want to upgrade. Merkur and Mühle make very nice Razors at a different price point than the two cheapies. Merkur 34HD or Mühle R89 are the ones most recommended.

I just had a look, and for a first razor, the Wahl you're interested in looks good. It uses the same head design as the very popular, and highly recommend, Muhle R89/ Edwin Jagger DE89, that has middle of the road aggression, but is very smooth. It is an excellent starting point.

You can spend a little more on an equivalent Muhle, Merkur, however as those razors will be made of Zinc alloy (same as the Wahl) better quality or not is subjective.

Something like a Gillette Super Blue via AliE or a Lord L5 will cost you peanuts, will shave right and are optimal for a travel razor once you decide that you like the shaves and want to upgrade. Merkur and Mühle make very nice Razors at a different price point than the two cheapies. Merkur 34HD or Mühle R89 are the ones most recommended.
Great. Thanks for the information. This is a good forum.

I just had a look, and for a first razor, the Wahl you're interested in looks good. It uses the same head design as the very popular, and highly recommend, Muhle R89/ Edwin Jagger DE89, that has middle of the road aggression, but is very smooth. It is an excellent starting point.

You can spend a little more on an equivalent Muhle, Merkur, however as those razors will be made of Zinc alloy (same as the Wahl) better quality or not is subjective.

Thanks. I'll probably grab the $35 Wahl from the Shavor Shop as a starting point and see if I can do this without cutting myself. Been watching some good youtube tutorials. I appreciate the help.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Here is my review on the Jack the Barber DE that I did a while ago. I didn't realize that it was that long ago.

I've got the Wahl adjustable, which is a futur clone. I get weepers every time I shave with it, plus I just can't shave under my nose...the shape of the head won't allow me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong as this is my first adjustable. If any of you gentlemen have any tips I'm all ears.

I've got the Wahl adjustable, which is a futur clone. I get weepers every time I shave with it, plus I just can't shave under my nose...the shape of the head won't allow me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong as this is my first adjustable. If any of you gentlemen have any tips I'm all ears.
I believe it is quite an aggressive one even on low settings according to @ivan_101
Which blades are you using and how long have you been shaving with it?

I believe it is quite an aggressive one even on low settings according to @ivan_101
Which blades are you using and how long have you been shaving with it?

It is a pretty aggressive razor even at settings 3-4. There are batches that are made milder by reducing the exposure and gaps compared to the Futur. Even they are aggressive. The Shave Factory branded one has the bigger Futur exposure!

I've had 4 shaves so far on settings 1-2 & 2-3, using Gillette sharp edge, Indian Wilkinson sword, feather & Bic chrome platinum (maybe it's my choice of blade 🤔)...now it's just sitting in my drawer.
If you have access to them try Voskhod and Personna Platinums. Bic and Feather are definitely too sharp and harsh and I guess that goes for the other two as well. It usually goes mild razor + sharper blade and aggressive razor + smoother ones - with enough exceptions to make it interesting ;)

Top Bottom