What's new

Are these personna reds?

My local neighborhood grocery store carries these blades. The package says "made in Israel" on the back. Are these the personna reds I keep hearing about?

88212B0C-00F2-4FBA-945C-B46089468E81.jpeg

So I tried these blades for the first time today. I was expecting a blood bath, since they're not fancy platinum, chromium, molybdenum, plutonium, or unobtainium. Just lowly, lowly SS. I was actually surprised how smooth the shave was. No nicks, and only one weeper (in a place I get a weeper nearly every time I shave, regardless of what blade I use). Definitely pleasantly surprised. I know I can't judge them by one shave, I'll probably use the whole tuck before I officially put them on my short list, but they're off to a good start!

So I tried these blades for the first time today. I was expecting a blood bath, since they're not fancy platinum, chromium, molybdenum, plutonium, or unobtainium. Just lowly, lowly SS. I was actually surprised how smooth the shave was. No nicks, and only one weeper (in a place I get a weeper nearly every time I shave, regardless of what blade I use). Definitely pleasantly surprised. I know I can't judge them by one shave, I'll probably use the whole tuck before I officially put them on my short list, but they're off to a good start!

+2! ’Just lowly, lowly SS.’ That’s often the critical piece for me. SS was a breakthrough for blades. Sometimes the coatings take a few shaves to wear off before the SS goodness comes through! :clap: :clap:

I realize $2.99 is a good markup, but it's still significantly cheaper than cartridges, and it supports an independently owned local business (it's just a guy and his wife that own and run the place) during hard financial times, so I'm ok with it.

I’m currently on shave three using one of these blades; which, I think are just an store brand version the Personna that you have. These were branded Western Family and in
my neck of the woods they’re are now branded as Top Care. At the local supermarket they’re run me around 2 bucks for the
10 pack. I bought a couple a few years ago when I was trying out different blades. I occasionally load one up and am pleasantly surprised by the
balance of smooth and sharp. For the money I still buy 100 lots Feathers and Astra SP.

Attachments

• 890F3D7A-C17A-4D01-9990-1FDE9798C4D8.jpeg
    890F3D7A-C17A-4D01-9990-1FDE9798C4D8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
I've now used one of these blades twice, and a second one once, with great results. These might be a go to blade for me.

Israeli reds work pretty well for most people. In bulk they cost about $0.15 each. At the corner store, they should not be more than $0.25 each.

If you like them, you might like the Personna Lab Blues "Comfort Coated" (made in Virginia).

Just got done using one of the blades for the third time (face and head), still an amazing shave in my Progress. I'll probably change it after this, no point pushing my luck, but I'm very happy with these blades so far.

They work well for me, so I went back to Long's and bought more. These are made in Israel, but aren't the "reds" platinum coated? What would these be then?

Top Bottom