What's new

Are these ivory?

Without doing a pin test I need your guys opinion if these are ivory or not. They aren’t as thick as bone and under bright light they look like as pictured below. What do you guys think? The pattern is doesn’t look man made as all, there is no similarity in pattern and when there is no light on them you don’t see the waves.

Larry

63D54224-E6CE-4306-B60C-53331283D81D.jpeg
133A0353-15BD-4CD5-89AD-54247523F669.jpeg

How thin are they? I have seen some bone ones as thin as ivory but that is typically not the case. So freakishly thin is often the give-away that it is true ivory. As for man-made, you can try sanding with 800+ grit paper and see if you get a plastic smell or if you get flash-back from your last dentist visit.

Thanks for the info guys, the pattern us quite unique which made me question it. When I rubbed them I didnt get that camphor smell either and they werent thick like bakelite would be. Mystery materiaI guess :blink:, oh well someday a balde will find its way between them. :laugh:

Larry

Without doing a pin test I need your guys opinion if these are ivory or not. They aren’t as thick as bone and under bright light they look like as pictured below. What do you guys think? The pattern is doesn’t look man made as all, there is no similarity in pattern and when there is no light on them you don’t see the waves.

Larry

View attachment 1023978View attachment 1023979

Can you take a picture from the side so we can see how thick they are

Ivory and bone can both be brittle, thus very thin scales are not recommended. The ivory/bone scales sometimes have liners to reinforce them if they need to be thin. This bone scales below are thickish.
59606F2A-696C-4F85-BAB1-E718C20A2428.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok, they may not be ivory but they have to be some sort of natural material. They are 1/16th inch thick and where the waves are there is a natural ripple when held at the right angle. Celluloid and Bakelite won’t do that, plus when rubbed vigorously there is no camphor smell. Here is the side profile shot of them.

Larry

959D1A5B-FA97-45C5-949F-BF02DC7A6CF3.jpeg

My old ivory is 1-1.2mm thick. Yours isn't that much thicker, but it does look a little "boxy" like some plastic type scales. I'm stumped at what it is, because that grain looks so real to me and it's not that thick.

Asking the crowd - aren't plastic type scales usually closer to 1/8" thick?

My old ivory is 1-1.2mm thick. Yours isn't that much thicker, but it does look a little "boxy" like some plastic type scales. I'm stumped at what it is, because that grain looks so real to me and it's not that thick.

Asking the crowd - aren't plastic type scales usually closer to 1/8" thick?

The thickness and the grain is what made question what kind of material they were. If they were bone I would have seen the small pin holes. Also oddly enough, when you compare them to the other 3 I got with this one (1 Bakelite, 1 bone, 1 celluloid) this one is noticeably colder to the touch when you compare all 4. Might have to call on scooby doo and get the gang back together to solve this mystery. :idea::laugh:

Larry

Hmmm they are way to thick for Ivory, do you have a black light or a uv light shine that on them and see what colour they go. This is a pair I have in ivory the first picture is zoomed in, and the second one is a normal shot to show you how thick ivory is on a razor.

20191009_173526.jpg

20191009_173557.jpg

Those lines you can see can you see them from any angle

Yes you can see the lines from any angle, also you can see the texture as well when held to the light as well. I saw how you can make a black light, will have to try it and see what I have.

Larry

Yep I can say they are not ivory, as with ivory you can only see the lines from one direction. I would be more inclined to say celluloid scales...

Top Bottom