What's new

Are these blades good?

tryablade.com will also let you buy single blades of your choice. When I bought my samples I got two of each that I wanted to try, in case one happened to be a dud.

Personally, I wouldn't write off a blade based on one sample or one bad shave.
Yeah I understand, but at the same time a sample pack costs less expensive than buy one of each

tryablade.com will also let you buy single blades of your choice. When I bought my samples I got two of each that I wanted to try, in case one happened to be a dud.

Personally, I wouldn't write off a blade based on one sample or one bad shave.
Yeah I understand, but at the same time a sample pack costs less expensive than buy one of each
That's OK, you successfully found one blade you don't care for. There are several out there you probably will like. Just get a pack of 5 blades for those you want to try, after trying them you can buy 100-pack of whichever you like most. Sites like Razor Blade Club will allow you to put together your own sampler at a fairly reasonable cost and cheap shipping.
But I won’t rule them out, because I wasn’t doing the proper angle routine technic

That's OK, you successfully found one blade you don't care for. There are several out there you probably will like. Just get a pack of 5 blades for those you want to try, after trying them you can buy 100-pack of whichever you like most. Sites like Razor Blade Club will allow you to put together your own sampler at a fairly reasonable cost and cheap shipping.
Is it better if I get 1 blade of each for my pack or get 5 blades of each?

I’m thing of adding;

- Dorco
- Gillette Nacet
- Gillette Platinum
- Gillette 7’Oclock yellow
- Gillette 7’Oclock orange
- Feather
- Wilkinson
- Gillette 7’Oclock black
- Gillette Silver Blue
- Muhle
- Perma-Sharp
- Shark Stainless

Are there I should avoid? I would like to build a sample pack of 10 blades

Last edited:

I’m thing of adding;

- Dorco
- Gillette Nacet
- Gillette Platinum
- Feather
- Wilkinson
- Gillette Silver Blue
- Muhle
- Perma-Sharp
- Shark Stainless

Good list; you might consider Personna.

FWIW, Nacets are a personal favorite.
Altho, TBCH, I've never had a bad shave from any platinum-coated stainless blade.
Sir Rodimus80, tell us, what has brought you to wet shaving??

coates almond dovo merkur vision gillette nacet taylor of old bond st james april 18 2018.jpg

Good list; you might consider Personna.

FWIW, Nacets are a personal favorite.
Altho, TBCH, I've never had a bad shave from any platinum-coated stainless blade.
Sir Rodimus80, tell us, what has brought you to wet shaving??

View attachment 1504956

Well I used to shave with carts. And I remembered my late father wet shaving. About 2 years ago, my mother gave me my fathers shaving kit, and that’s when I decided to give wet shaving a try and I was hooked ever since. With carts, I had the Gillette ProGlide, I didn’t need to put to much effort to it, but I wanted a challenge. Plus I’m also a old school/old fashioned type of person, that’s why I’m even looking to find an old school feel 50’s style barber

I’m thing of adding;

- Dorco
- Gillette Nacet
- Gillette Platinum
- Feather
- Wilkinson
- Gillette Silver Blue
- Muhle
- Perma-Sharp
- Shark Stainless

Well, you are better off to get at least 2-3 of each blade to try, by the time you do that, it makes sense to get a 5-pack since the price will be about the same from RBC.

You have some good blades in your list, I'd suggest a few changes.

Drop Gillette Silver Blue since you have Gillette Platinum
Replace Shark Stainless with Lord Silver Star
Replace Wilkinson with Personna in blue & gold pack
There's no 7 O'clock Orange, just try the Blacks and Yellows to start with
For Dorco, the best one is STP-301 (Dorco Prime), so get those
Drop Muhle, you'll have better blades

That's enough blades to last for quite a while.

sorry I meant Dovo instead of Dorco. And which personna? There’s like 5-6 of them
Maybe try the Dovo blades later. Assuming they are the same as Merkur blades, they are expensive and not worth it.

These Personnas are worth trying. There are other ones that are good, too, but maybe start with these.

1660514149821.png

BTW, @Rodimus80, if you end up with spare blades you don't want, you can use the Great Blade Exchange on this website to get other blades in exchange. David (@dmshaver) will trade 2 blades of each type for 2 blades of another type you are interested in. The only cost for you is postage for two first-class envelopes.

This is a good way to sample more once you have some blades to trade.

So my sample pack list consists of the following two blades of each:

Dorco ST-301
Feather Stainless
Gillette 7’Oclock - Permasharp Stainless
Gillette 7’Oclock Super Platinum
Gillette Nacet Stainless
Gillette Platinum
Personna Platinum
Lord Super Stainless
Perma-Sharp

I also saw the following,
Gillette 7’Oclock Super Stainless Golden Shave
Gillette 7’Oclock SharpEdge
Gillette Super Stainless

Are these three any different than the 7’Oclocks that I have on my list?

You might ask why I don’t have any Derby’s in list, it’s not that I don’t like them, it’s just the country that fabricates them, Turkey…I am Greek so I’m not going to support anything Turkish!!

Dorco ST-301
Feather Stainless
Gillette Nacet Stainless
Gillette Platinum
Personna Platinum
Lord Super Stainless
Perma-Sharp

Gillette Super Stainless

You might ask why I don’t have any Derby’s in list, it’s not that I don’t like them, it’s just the country that fabricates them, Turkey…I am Greek so I’m not going to support anything Turkish!!
7 O'clock greens can come from India (Permasharp) or Russia (SharpEdge). The green Russian blades are better, IMHO. The green Indian blades are just OK (confusing).

I don't think you want Dorco ST-301, the STP-301 are the better ones (also confusing).

Gillette Super Stainless are popular in parts of Europe. You can search here for comments on them. May be similar to the Minora stainless.

BTW, BIC Chrome Platinum are made in Greece!

Last edited:

Dorco ST-301
Feather Stainless
Gillette Nacet Stainless
Gillette Platinum
Personna Platinum
Lord Super Stainless
Perma-Sharp

Gillette Super Stainless

Excellent list!

Since you asked about other Gillette blades, I suggest adding GSB, the Silver Blues!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Reactions: Kix
Top Bottom