What's new

Are there movies or TV shows you won't watch because of an actor/actress is in a starring role?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I don't enjoy watching actors who aren't 'believable.' A guy like Depp or Day- Lewis becomes the character- Depp really IS Whitey Bulger or Jack Sparrow or Hunter Thompson. Day-Lewis disappears and becomes Hawkeye or Christy Brown or Bill the Butcher, and when you see him you don't see either 'him' or the other roles that he has played. These guys just become the character they are playing.

It's the guys who can't do that who I find annoying. Matt Damon is one. Every film I see with him it's like Will Hunting becomes a spy or an infantry man or whatever. Or take 'Glory.' A great story, script, and in general a great cast. Except for Mathew Broderick. The film is ruined for me because the idea of Ferris Bueller leading the black troops into battle is just beyond belief.
I just thought of another one. NO WAY is Jim from The Office believable as Jack Ryan. No way, no how.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I just thought of another one. NO WAY is Jim from The Office believable as Jack Ryan. No way, no how.

100% agree. Horrible casting IMO. I keep expecting him to break the fourth wall in the middle of a life or death struggle.

Ya, he was a acting force but his public appearances are not good. Politics aside he just seems like a difficult angry old man.

I was not even thinking that so much. I do not know his politics and I doubt I would care about that, or even about him being an angry old guy. But he seems to exercise no judgment as to script selection these days and just seems to phone his performances, or at least that is my impression. I could be missing some good stuff, but he seems like a hack at this point. Such as shame as I would say that DeNiro was one of the very best serious actors of his generation. Although I have to admit that I still find it hard for many purposes to distinguish him, from Dustin Hoffman, and Al Pacino in my mind!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Dang. I forgot Baldwin. Add him to my list!
People fool me all the time. They will say "Hey, did you ever see such and such movie?" I'll say no and they'll proceed to tell me all about it. I'll then think to myself "Hey that sounds pretty good!" Then they proceed to tell me THAT GUY is in it. I immediatley shrink right out of the conversation!!! haha.

I was loving PEARL HARBOR until he showed his face in it!!! hahaha.

Where do I begin? The list would never end. I can't stand Hollywood these days. I don't care for the superiority complex most actors have. Nor the mindset of many who think they know so much and the general populace is made up of morons. And don't preach or lecture me about the social/political climate. I can figure out those matters by myself. I don't watch current movies and television shows.

Where do I begin? The list would never end. I can't stand Hollywood these days. I don't care for the superiority complex most actors have. Nor the mindset of many who think they know so much and the general populace is made up of morons. And don't preach or lecture me about the social/political climate. I can figure out those matters by myself. I don't watch current movies and television shows.
During the Wu Han Pandemic, we have watched TCM almost exclusively. If those stars were political back in their day, I know nothing about it.

People fool me all the time. They will say "Hey, did you ever see such and such movie?" I'll say no and they'll proceed to tell me all about it. I'll then think to myself "Hey that sounds pretty good!" Then they proceed to tell me THAT GUY is in it. I immediatley shrink right out of the conversation!!! haha.

I was loving PEARL HARBOR until he showed his face in it!!! hahaha.
Watch the old Midway instead. Robert Mitchum, Glen Ford, Charlton Heston and many many more.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, this sums it up..

Imagine the acting range when she is amused by being sarcastically bored.

Adam Sandler

He can actually be quite good when he wants to be, instead of falling back on his shtick and laying it on waaaay too thick.

Doc4, you are missing some incredible TV these days. Goes well with Scotch, too!

No doubt.

If I were locked in solitary with only a television and a Netflicks account to keep me company, I'm certain I'd find a lot of gems there. I'd get to see Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones, and all the other great shows I've never seen an episode of.

Buuut ...

... being in the free world, I do find myself with better things to do.

NO WAY is Jim from The Office believable as Jack Ryan

Fact: Dwight Schrute would have made a better Jack Ryan.

1596851315972.png

I was loving PEARL HARBOR until he showed his face in it!!!

That's a movie that was ruined from the get-go.

Watch the old Midway instead.

Indeed. And Tora! Tora! Tora!

About 90% of actors and actresses popular the past 20 years are on my never-watch list. Tom Cruise, Leo the Crappio and Jack Black are high that list. Actresses' names are harder to remember as they all look alike and consist of mostly plastic parts and Creature-From-The-Black-Lagoon lips. It's probably the reason my wife and I prefer black and white US films, and Brit or Aussie TV shows.

As for Shia LaBeouf, I liked him in Holes. Was he in anything else?

He was in a few Transformer movies (not my thing), and he was also in Fury (with Brad Pitt), which is one of the few movies I've seen in the theater in the last 20 years. When Fury was released, they had free tickets for military/veterans on Veterans Day. Great movie, and while Shia LaDouche is a huge douchebag in person, he was great in Fury.
Oh, he was the 'sidekick' to Keanu Reeves in Constantine, which was a good movie, but anyone could have played the sidekick role.

DeNiro, J Fonda, A Baldwin.
Their obnoxious personalities have become so public that they override the characters they are trying to portray.
These actors can no longer make themselves disappear and realistically become the characters in the storyline.

DeNiro, J Fonda, A Baldwin.
Their obnoxious personalities have become so public that they override the characters they are trying to portray.
These actors can no longer make themselves disappear and realistically become the characters in the storyline.
Dang, three more to my list! I keep forgetting these because I don’t watch them!

Will Ferrell, Rosie O’Donnell and Melissa McCarthy. I’ve never seen a movie with Kathy Griffin, but if there ever was I sure would not watch it.
I’ve got to revise my list.

Will Farrell
Rosie O’Donnell
Melissa M’Carthy
Hanoi Jane
Ellen De’Generous (sp?)
Robert Dinero (couldn’t even watch taxi driver all the way through)
Whoopi
Alec Baldwin (and I so loved him in The Shadow)
Barbara Streisand
Sean Penn
Michael Moore
Joy Behar
The Sheens (yes, all of them)
Diane Keaton
Joan Crawford
Bette Davis

That should do it for now. I’m sure that there are more.

If any of the following actors stars in a movie or show, i know i will avoid it like the plague:

Owen Wilson
Adam Sandler
Ben Stiller
Jim Carrey
Will Ferrel
Melissa McCarthy
Seth Rogen
Leslie Nielsen
Michael Cera
Kat Dennings
Gwyneth Paltrow
Amy Schumer
John Travolta
Meryl Streep
Sarah Jessica Parker

More than i thought and i most likely missed a few.

Top Bottom