What's new

Are There Less Aggressive Blades Than Derby?

I have 5 different razors, some more aggressive, some less, and I am finding lately that my face is becoming more sensitive to where even the Derby blades, which I know are pretty mild, are are a bit rough in my 2 most aggressive razors. (I have the 100 pack in both Astra and Derby and the Astra's I can only use in my 2 RazoRock Baby Smooth's)

The Derby's are fine in my Maggard short handle "chubby", but even with Derby's the Edwin Jagger and the Merkur are a little too close. (I admit when I bought these razors, except for the last 2 Baby Smooth's which I bought specifically because they were "baby smooth", I didn't know anything about whether the others were open or closed, or what that even meant, so that may be the problem)

Point is I don't want to set aside those 2 razors forever as they are fine quality-wise, so I'm wondering if there is a blade that's even milder than the Derby I can try with them?

If someone can suggest any, I'll get a 5 pack and try them out before possibly going for another 100 pack. Looking forward to suggestions, thanks!

Honestly imo the derby extra are so dull they end up being more dangerous than a slightly sharper, but smooth blade. You might like the german wilkinson swords and you might even be able to buy a 5 pack at your local grocery store or WM possibly for around a buck. I would consider them very mild ymmv and if not perhaps voskhods.

yeah, I've found that the more mild the blade or razor is, the more passes I'd need to make to get the kind of shave I want which may not be too great for the skin. For me personally I find that the BIC Chrome Platinums are just right; sharp enough to get the job done but not Feather sharp where any weepers you get seem to last all friggin day. If you're after mild, supposedly Sharks are more on the mild side, Tiger isn't too bad either I don't think, but if you haven't already I'd definitely try Voskhod and Rapira for sure, think they'd be right up your alley

Derby's aren't that blunt anymore - they're not the sharpest, but their reputation precedes them and many shavers aren't interested in them and so (not having revisited since they made them sharper around 2016-17ish), perpetuate the stereotype that Derby's are blunt.

I'd also suggest that certain coatings will cause issues for some people...

Which leads me to suggest the Treet carbon (black beauty).
They're not long lived, but they're objectively mild and they're uncoated.

Derby premiums are definitely not mild, the first shave can be a bit rough but they mellow out nicely.

I would go for a gillette silver blue or platinum as a baseline first.
Try bic, wizamet, 7 o clock black, Wilkinson, derby premium.
Nacet and Kai might be way too much both being smooth very effective.
There is something as too mild and that causes more irritation when you compensate. I know a 7 o clock yellow will not work for me in a mild razor as too mild, and a green is borderline.
The silver blues and platinum I tend to be able to use them in both mild and more aggressive razors.

Last edited:
As other have suggested, think also about going back to the basics: use a pre-shave, warm towel et cetera. Also, it could help not to always chase a BBS, but a more comfortable two passes.
When it come to blades, Derby Green are definitely the mildest I have ever tried. Also Voskhod, being a tefloned blades, are offering a good protection.

I’m in the minority here in that I like Derby blades and mild razors. I use both the Derby Extra and the Derby Premium. I also like the Persona Blue, Gillette yellow, and Dorco ST301 (but I hate the ST300). Try a couple different blades in your razors—you’ll find something that works for you.

If you can procure, then Wilkinson Sword (Indian) blades are balance with sharpness and smoothness.

It gives a well balance shave, sharp enough to get the job done, but with proper technique, weepers are rare occurrence with this blade.

If you can confirm that there is minimum pressure applied during the shave, then Gillette 7 O'clock Black is also a good balanced blade with higher sharpness and smoothness capability than Wilkinson Sword blades.

+1

i.e. not a milder blade but milder technique. :wink2:

could not agree more with the above - at the beginning of my journey into this strange land (15 years ago) I also searched for the solution in the gear, some magic combination of razor, blade and cream, and ended up wasting time and money, spinning wheels. luckily I was wise enough to stop this madness. I decided to pick a single razor (doesn't matter which one so I wont tell you), load it with feathers and learn the right technique. thats right, one razor one blade and effort. it doesn't even take that long to lear when the process is sound.

I’m in the minority here in that I like Derby blades and mild razors. I use both the Derby Extra and the Derby Premium. I also like the Persona Blue, Gillette yellow, and Dorco ST301 (but I hate the ST300). Try a couple different blades in your razors—you’ll find something that works for you.

Thanks. I used to buy sample packs and have tried all the popular blades and I really liked almost all of them. So I decided on Astra for the big pack but then recently found that 2 or 3 of my razors felt too close with them. So I then got the 100 pack of Derby Extra's because they are supposed to be milder but still 1 or 2 of the razors are too close, so I don't know what may have happened (with age?) that my skin is reacting more sensitively than before?

So I think I'll just get some of the ones suggested and try them in the "offending" razors and see what they're like now, although I have tried them in the past.

Actually, the only blades I remember NOT liking were the Merkur's which may have been too dull and the Feather's which were too sharp (see avatar)

could not agree more with the above - at the beginning of my journey into this strange land (15 years ago) I also searched for the solution in the gear, some magic combination of razor, blade and cream, and ended up wasting time and money, spinning wheels. luckily I was wise enough to stop this madness. I decided to pick a single razor (doesn't matter which one so I wont tell you), load it with feathers and learn the right technique. thats right, one razor one blade and effort. it doesn't even take that long to lear when the process is sound.
I can so relate to this, as my first DE razor was the R41 and blades were yellow Feathers. It was a pure coincidence though and not a conscious decision, as back then I did not know the first thing about wet-shaving and could've picked up just about any razor or blade, but somehow I picked those. I guess I liked the razor's looks (and price) and the lady in the barber shop recommended Feather blades. And so... I learned to shave with the "fearful" R41 and Feathers. When I think back, I'm so happy this was my first razor, as today I can shave with just about any razor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom