What's new

Are there any tricks or techniques for drilling into plastic scales?

I'm getting some plastic scales that are only drilled out at one end, leaving the user to drill out the pivot end. This seems like a good way to end up with cracked scales. Any tips?

No tricks

Make sure you have a sharp drill bit

The hard part is making sure they are flat if the scales are rounded in shape.

I would put a 1/16 punch or piece of peening rod into the wedge hole, use double sided tape to hold the scales together and slowly drill.

You want to make sure the hole is perpendicular to the scales or your holes will be off center.

I bought a pin vase but it doesn't get small enough to hold the bit used for razor pinning. I guess it's back to the power drill (when my scales arrive tomorrow).

I've never tried drilling plastic scales, but when drilling other plastics and everything else, usually metals and woods, center punching where you want the hole to go is imperative.

dave

There actually is a trick but it won't be easy to describe to a non-machinist. For certain plastics (acrylic particularly) there can be a tendency for the drill to grab and bite in, which can result in cracked plastic. If you dub the insides of the cutting flutes on a grinding wheel or with a hand held diamond hone so that the positive rake is reduced or rather made neutral it will help immensely on these difficult plastics. Many plastics are fairly easy to drill though, so special technique is unnecessary.

I ended up not having any problems with the actual drilling. I also got the angle pretty good (vertical) but I wasn't able to get a punch mark for the starting point (it felt like it might crack just due to that) so the hole is a little off center from where I would have liked it to be.

I don't have a drill press, my pin vise doesn't get small enough for the bit, so I had to use my electric hand drill. Next time I think I would mark off the center a little more carefully and figure out a way to get a starter hole.

Actually, I did two sets. With one the angle was a little off but still works. On the other one the angle was good but a little low (off-center). They both work well however.

DSCN0361.JPG

I bought a pin vase but it doesn't get small enough to hold the bit used for razor pinning. I guess it's back to the power drill (when my scales arrive tomorrow).

Look for a smaller pin vise. I have several and they will accept bits that are hair like. Really tiny. You will be surprised and pleased at how easily and quickly you can drill scales by turning the bit with your hand. You also have absolute control over hole placement.

Look for a smaller pin vise. I have several and they will accept bits that are hair like. Really tiny. You will be surprised and pleased at how easily and quickly you can drill scales by turning the bit with your hand. You also have absolute control over hole placement.

I'll have to look for those. I looked for pin vise via Google and saw some at Ace Hardware. It showed that it was in stock at my local Ace Hardware so that's where I bought it. It wasn't until I got home that I saw it wouldn't get nearly tight enough.

It is always best to use a drill press just to ensure that the holes are perfectly square to the scales and inline. You won't get that with a pin vise unless you use it in the drill press chuck. Holes that aren't right can cause blade centering problems if they're off enough.

I purchased my pin vice from Amazon. it came with 3 sizes of ferules. These powered by "arm-strong" and take a while. I have never drilled through a set of scales with out resting when using a pin vice.

Top Bottom