What's new

Are there any resources for estate pipe pricing?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I know that in firearms there are various source, like the Blue Book of Gun Values, for example.

I'm not experienced enough to figure out what a good deal is on eBay. There is a nice looking Butz-Choquin I'm eyeing on eBay, but it's been there quite a while at his $60 selling price with no takers. I put it on my watchlist and he offered $54. I'm just wondering how to evaluate that, or how to make a counter offer that is not insulting. I like it enough for maybe $45.

I'm just wondering if anyone has found a ready-reference to look up when perusing the 'bay. I would guess that new this would maybe be an $80-ish pipe, and it is in fairly good shape, but needs the oxidized stem cleaned the bowl sanded a bit. Would you pay half that, or $40? Less, more? I'm finding myself like a deer in the headlights on eBay. Any advice?

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I think I'm watching the same pipe!🤣 I'm not currently a buyer just a window shopper so no bidding war with me.

An excellent question by the way:pipe:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Yeah, it's tough! I want a pipe that I will enjoy having when I'm done cleaning it up, and I enjoy the process, but I'm thinking a pipe needing cleaning should go for quite a bit less than new, right? OTOH, it looks like one I'd like to have and I don't have to run around to a bunch of flea markets looking for them, which is something I don't enjoy.

Maybe I should just look at it like Amazon, it's easier than finding it on my own and just tell him what it's worth to me. Who cares he's offended. At least the Blue Book gives firearms guys an indication of what's crazy and what's sane for pricing.

ylekot

On Ebay, or any other shopping site for that matter, if they have a "make an offer" option I will offer what I think it's worth. They accept or decline, never had anyone get offended (that I'm aware of) and I have gotten some decent deals that way.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
When I make an offer, every single time I get a message back with a counter offer.
It's so regular that I now offer less than what I think it is worth, because the counter offer will then be right where I think it is worth.
In the grand scheme of things, don't worry about someone being offended by an offer. They are in business and I'm sure have seen offers far worse than what you might make.

ylekot

When I make an offer, every single time I get a message back with a counter offer.
It's so regular that I now offer less than what I think it is worth, because the counter offer will then be right where I think it is worth.
In the grand scheme of things, don't worry about someone being offended by an offer. They are in business and I'm sure have seen offers far worse than what you might make.
I have never liked the haggling process and try very hard not to play the game. I make an offer I think is fair, take it or leave it kind of thing. Some folks seem to be pragmatic about the whole thing and play along, like you. Some folks LOVE it and seem to make it work for them. I avoid those people as much as I can.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have never liked the haggling process and try very hard not to play the game. I make an offer I think is fair, take it or leave it kind of thing. Some folks seem to be pragmatic about the whole thing and play along, like you. Some folks LOVE it and seem to make it work for them. I avoid those people as much as I can.
Yeah, I mean - I'll put up with it enough to make an offer and consider a counter-offer.
There are guys that offer, counter offer, counter counter offer. It gets tedious.
I despise haggling.

You can also filter ebay searches for Sold/Completed items only. This can give you at least some idea what the market is doing. That said, when I was buying estate pipes on ebay, my general rule was never pay above $40 unless the pipe was something special and many pipes demanded a lower price than $40!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Well, it went exactly as Phill said it would go. Overall, I'm pretty happy, got him down from $60 to $50 (free shipping) and like I said, although finding these in the wild is more exciting, this took all the brain damage out of it, and I have another pipe to work on. There is something to be said for convenience and saving a lot of time here.

P.S. I have to stop "watching" things on eBay, it leads to unecessary impulse purchases. lol

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I generally follow the 50% of new value for an estate pipe. Condition could send it a little higher if excellent, or a little lower if not so.

This. If it’s a hard to find shape and it’s in really good condition I will break that rule. I did that twice, purchasing out of production Savinelli ‘s from SP.

BTW @Mike H I was a little concerned for you hearing about the Tornado’s this weekend.

Top Bottom