What's new

Are there any products good for getting rid of soap scum on a razor?

I use the approach of warm water with a mild dish soap and a soft toothbrush. If it's a routine cleaning, a 10-15 minute soak and a quick once over with the brush. If it's a new razor to me or a Gillette with 'vintage scum' I will soak it for several hours or overnight and then lightly brush as needed to remove the scum.

lasta

Blade Biter
+1 on the ultrasonic cleaner. Doesn't have to be expensive. Handy for a lot of other things too (glasses, pens etc).

A few swirls in citric acid after shaving.

I've not had noticeable soap scum develop on my razors.

I now use use a 3-piece razor that I take apart and rinse after every shave. I then towel dry the parts and leave them to air out for the rest of the day before reassembling my razor (with a blade) at night.

Once a month, I wipe down the parts of my razor with a rubbing alcohol-soaked cotton ball. I then let everything air dry for a bit before reassembling my razor.

That said, when I used a TTO, I did develop some soap scum on my razor. I cleaned the soap scum off as best as I could with a soft toothbrush and a little hand soap. Ultimately, I wound up soaking my razor (along with some other razor parts) in a jar of Barbicide before putting it away in the back of my shave den.

Best product by far is "Scrubbing Bubbles". You just spray it on and leave it for about 20 seconds and wash away any soap scum.
It works better than anything else I tried.

SB.jpg

Removing soap scum is what most bathroom cleaners are designed to do. It’s no surprise that they are really good at it.

Vinegar will work but there’s really no substitute for harsh chemicals and detergents when you want the job done properly.

Last edited:
I use Scrubbing Bubbles on my bathtub -- it's great. I don't know what it would do to an aluminum razor. Or to unplated Zamak. For those, I'll stick to toothbrush, detergent, and rubbing alcohol.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner, but never thought to use it on a razor. Excellent idea!

I have always used white vinegar, works just fine.
Put razor in a cup or bowl with the vinegar and leave it for an hour or two them lightly scrub with an old toothbrush and rinse.
Good as new.

Best product by far is "Scrubbing Bubbles". You just spray it on and leave it for about 20 seconds and wash away any soap scum.
It works better than anything else I tried.

View attachment 1324628
I've used this for several years, it works better than anything by a good margin. The problem is after about a year, the can leaks and one day you find 1/8th of a can after it has leaked all over the rest of the stuff you store it with under the sink. Had that happen twice to me, not using it now.

I found you can avoid this daily build up by just taking an extra few seconds after the shave and rinse under the faucet with a quick flick and wipe. Ive used this with all my 25+ razors. Problem solved. Of course if you just like to tinker and have a reason to clean then see above advice. NOTE: I always remove the blade and set it aside and/or disassemble if a 2 or 3 piece razor.

Last edited:
I've used this for several years, it works better than anything by a good margin. The problem is after about a year, the can leaks and one day you find 1/8th of a can after it has leaked all over the rest of the stuff you store it with under the sink. Had that happen twice to me, not using it now.

This has never happened to me and I have been using it for many years.

Top Bottom