What's new

Are there any headphone enthusiasts here?

My most used are the Sennheiser HD650. I drive them with a Dragonfly USB amp/DAC. Back in the day (pre kids), I used to be more into hi-fi, and I build a headphone amp that I still use from time to time.

For yard work on the weekends, I use the Avantree Bluetooth headphones. I can't remember the model number, but they were around $50 and actually sound quite nice.

I was a Grado fan for years, SR60, SR80 and SR225 for me. But, my new phone deleted the headphone port, and I really needed something with a closed back to wear at the office. (Haha, remember when we worked in offices?) The Grado headphone design sounds fantastic, but since it has an open back, everyone around you gets to share your enthusiasm for Epic Swedish Fantasy Power Metal.

I bought a Sony WH-1000XM3 bluetooth wireless noise-cancelling headphone, and they are amazing. Battery life is just hours and hours, don't worry about it. The bluetooth is flawless, the bass is just right (and easily adjustable in the app), but the noise cancelling has been amazing. I can wear them as noise protectors in the machine shop, while mowing the lawn, whatever, and there's no cord to get tangled. I've used the Bose noise cancelling sets before, these are far superior. There's a newer version, WH-1000XM4, supposed to be even better. If you watch slickdeals.net you can usually find a refurb pair for $200, mine were refurb and flawless.

Last edited:
Do earbuds count? I love my now discontinued Klipsch X10. They are passive noise cancelling and very comfortable to wear. Sometimes I forget they're in. They are great at work for 8 hours straight.
I had a pair of plug in Klipsch that were great until the pin pulled out of the plug and left half in my phone. CS was no help other than a sorry. 2 pairs of Beats in ears now and kids have headphones. Both styles work well for us.

This beauty was delivered today, ZMF in marblewood and a headphone stand in bocote wood. The craftsmanship is absolutely mind-blowing - my mobile phone camera doesn't do them justice. And they sound amazing! 😍

IMG_20210624_170221.jpg

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
This beauty was delivered today, ZMF in marblewood and a headphone stand in bocote wood. The craftsmanship is absolutely mind-blowing - my mobile phone camera doesn't do them justice. And they sound amazing! 😍

View attachment 1286724

wazabees, tell us a little about your headphone use history. Can you try to compare the sound of these to other cans?

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I have a pair of Joe Grado's original cans from the 1990s. The things are great, but I need to have them rehabbed (new wiring and ear pads).

wazabees, tell us a little about your headphone use history. Can you try to compare the sound of these to other cans?
Absolutely. Not sure where to start to be fair, and I have had a few headphones over the years. For many years, I used a combined DAC/headphone amplifier connected to my PC. It was an old Asus, and I thought it was pretty great. The headphones I used for years were the Sennheiser Momentums (revision 1 and 2, over ear). Unfortunately, I decided to join a forum to learn more about headphones and audio gear. And that'd be when I went stumbling down a pretty deep rabbit hole...

I started by upgrading my headphones to Sennheiser HD650, because so many people rave about them. People weren't wrong and I got a new appreciation for my music. The HD650 are pretty neutral and often seen as a reference headphone. They are open back headphones which is a blessing and a curse. The sound stage is wide open and the clarity is unreal. The downside is obviously that you'll share your music with the rest of the household, and you'll hear ambient noise around you.

The next upgrade was to get a better DAC and headphone amplifier. I went with a Schiit Bifrost 2 (great name) and a SW51+ headphone amp. The headphone amp was specifically built for members of the aforementioned forum, and it's my first tube amp.

new-dacamp.jpg

Next, i was curious about planar magnetic headphones as well. So, when a good deal on HifiMan Sundara headphones popped up, I got a pair of those as well. A slightly different sound than the HD650s, but again very crisp and clear. These headphones will provide a fantastic sound, and they're comfortable enough to wear for hours on end. Being planar magnetic headphones, they're not the best for bassy music/electronica. They're very good for hard rock/metal and really shine with acoustic music. And again, they're open back headphones.

I had the opportunity to try out ZMF headphone at home, from a store, so I chose the Atticus (in their standard camphor wood) and Eikon (also camphor wood). In my testing, the cheaper Atticus headphones won out because they were more engaging, lievely and had a faster bass response. I made my order, and waited. Being in the EU and having headphones hand made in Chicago takes a long time. 3 months later, I got the ZMF Atticus LTD Marblewood and I was blown away yet again. It's tricky to describe the ZMF headphones. They are closed back headphones, and they have a warm sound signature. They also have a hard hitting bass, but manages to effortlessly handle hard rock/metal as well. Listening to some lossless FLAC acoustic music gave me goosebumps. That was a first for me.

Sorry/not sorry for the wall of text. ;)

Last edited:
I am far from being an enthusiast, I’m deaf in one ear, and I can’t use earbuds due to my ear canal shape. They won’t stay in. I have a cheap pair of Bluetooth headphones instead.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Grado headphones are getting lots of love on this thread. I’m a headphone fan, but unfamiliar with the brand. Are they really do good that I should have a pair? If so, which model?

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
My hearing is shot from industrial machines.....but I love my bass to hit HARD! Classic rock is my preferred genre and my house speakers are a sent of Cerwin Vega E-312's for reference and I love them. No headphone I could ever find would match them in the bass department.

I received a pair of Skullcandy Wireless Crushers for a holiday present. They have an adjustable bass control that can go from what a $50.00 US set of cans will give you for sound quality and as you adjust the bass it will go from added to boosted to crazy and unlistenable. for my garbage hearing I can get to a very entertaining sound signature with all my music. Would I have used them while DJ'ing in my younger days or for mixing and recording samples of my guitar or whatnot, or even just for critical listening? NO! But if I wanted to feel like I was at a Rock'n'Roll club with big speakers and big power, YES it does a pretty good job!

When I want to really LISTEN to the music,Pink Floyd or the like , I use my Audio Technica ATH-M50's that I really like! They are smooth and still lean a little toward the bass spectrum but the clarity of strings and such really shine through and to my ears they sound very balanced and clear.

Last edited:
Over the ear:

Oppo PM2
PSB M4U2
MartinLogan Mikros 90 with mods

IEMs:

1More Quad
1More Triples (until my son's puppy found them to be tasty)
Etymotic Er2xr with putty mold mods (for mowing)
Klipsch Image X10 with mods

Dac/Amps
Emotiva Big Ego
Fournier HTA-2 with a lot of different tubes
a few other inexpensive 110+db SNR chi-fi dac amps

I've had a lot of different cans and buds over the years but nothing compares to the Oppo PM2s connected to the Fournier HTA-2. They are like Stax without the buzz.

Grado headphones are getting lots of love on this thread. I’m a headphone fan, but unfamiliar with the brand. Are they really do good that I should have a pair? If so, which model?

I believe that Grado headphones and turntable cartridges are all still built in Brooklyn NY. Grado is possibly more well-known for its turntable cartridges, at least among consumers. Professional mixers use some of the reference grade headphones, so it's a well-known name there, but you aren't going to find Grado headphones on the shelf next to Beats or Bose.

Grado tend to sound slightly "forward" where many other popular brands have a recessed sound. In Grado's advertising language, this is presented as "clarity". If clean midrange, vocal jazz, acoustic guitar, etc. are your musical tastes, then you'll absolutely love them. SR-80, SR-125, and SR-325 are all reasonably priced and sound great.

I have used a number of headphones over the years dating back to my Koss Pro headphones from around 1970. They sounded good, but they were really heavy. I have had a variety of headphones over the years. My favorites were the Able Planet Linx Audio headphones. I used to wear them when traveling by air. One of the brackets broke, so they do not fit properly. Able Planet is no longer in business, so I cannot replace them.

I currently have a pair of Phillips Fidelio X2HR headphones that have great audio quality, are comfortable even on my large head and are reasonably priced. The have open air drivers which is great for sound quality, but not so good if the environment is noisy.

For those times when I need noise cancellation, I am considering purchasing the Anker Soundcore Life A35 devices. I have a pair of their Liberty Air 2 earbuds and they are pretty good.

Overall though, I much prefer the experience of listening to high quality speakers.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I believe that Grado headphones and turntable cartridges are all still built in Brooklyn NY. Grado is possibly more well-known for its turntable cartridges, at least among consumers. Professional mixers use some of the reference grade headphones, so it's a well-known name there, but you aren't going to find Grado headphones on the shelf next to Beats or Bose.

Grado tend to sound slightly "forward" where many other popular brands have a recessed sound. In Grado's advertising language, this is presented as "clarity". If clean midrange, vocal jazz, acoustic guitar, etc. are your musical tastes, then you'll absolutely love them. SR-80, SR-125, and SR-325 are all reasonably priced and sound great.
Many thanks for your kind advice, and using it as a foundation to begin learning about the SR-80, -125, and -325.

Many thanks for your kind advice, and using it as a foundation to begin learning about the SR-80, -125, and -325.
If you have the option, I'd recommend trying the headphones for yourself. As with shaving, YMMV. Sure, there are measurements detailing how a headphone sounds and so on, but it's still highly subjective.

more an IEM snob here, based on my main usage being travel/commute with low impedance/portable sources, playing mostly DSD and bit Flacs

JH Audio Layla Universal Fit - Reference/everything
JH Audio Roxanne Universal Fit - Prog or other Rock
Campire Audio Andromeda - Electronic, Jazz, Classical, Piano

My main Over-head is Beyerdynamic (Astell & Kern) T1P semi-open earphones, low impedance version.

Headphones/speaker is such a YMMV area, and tightly coupled to music preferences and source quality, amp quality, cable quality (no joke), person ear design/hearing quality.

Audition, Audition, Audition...

Top Bottom