What's new

Are there any *good* vegan shave soaps?

Hi! I was pointed to your forum by another website. I'm getting into DE shaving at the moment because I'm sick of buying disposable razors or refills for my Gilette Fusion...especially because I actually wear a beard and really only shave in order to clean up my neck line and keep my beard looking neat.

I've always used shave soaps even before I got interested in DE shaving, because I just prefer the feel of it. However, I've run out of my shave soap supply and since I last bought some I've made a pretty major change in my life and become a vegan. I already have a synthetic brush, and all that jazz, but I have yet to find a vegan soap that doesn't dry out my skin. I even tried some of the Dr. Bronner's gel, and I got a good lather, but the drying was still a problem.

So I turn to this community. Are there any shave soaps which are free of animal ingredients and also good soaps? If you could help me out here I would greatly appreciate it.

The French soaps are vegan. That would include Pre de Provence, L'Occitane's Cade, and of course Martin de Candre. I think Provence Sante is vegan as well. Not sure about Institute Karite.

MdC is easily the best of the lot, but they're all pretty good.

La Toja - the stick and probably the bowl soap as well - is vegan and is excellent.

Glycerin soaps are generally vegan, this includes Van der Hagen, QED, Mama Bear, etc.

EDIT: and not to take away from delisle's comments, but be careful about ordering shaving soap from etsy. There are no doubt some good "artisan" shaving soaps there, but mostly I've read negative reviews when people have bought from there or ebay. Best to stick to established vendors.

The French soaps are vegan. That would include Pre de Provence, L'Occitane's Cade, and of course Martin de Candre. I think Provence Sante is vegan as well. Not sure about Institute Karite.

MdC is easily the best of the lot, but they're all pretty good.

La Toja - the stick and probably the bowl soap as well - is vegan and is excellent.

Glycerin soaps are generally vegan, this includes Van der Hagen, QED, Mama Bear, etc.

EDIT: and not to take away from delisle's comments, but be careful about ordering shaving soap from etsy. There are no doubt some good "artisan" shaving soaps there, but mostly I've read negative reviews when people have bought from there or ebay. Best to stick to established vendors.

All of those a really great choices. I have used almost all of them and much better than anything on Etsy.

Glad to help :001_smile All tallow-worship aside, there are a lot of good choices for vegan soaps.

Any scent you are looking for in particular...?

Well, I'm kind of in love with the Herban Cowboy "Dusk" aftershave, so anything that would go with that works for me. If you're unfamiliar with it, it's kind of a cloves and cedar scent with some other spice undertones.

Well, I'm kind of in love with the Herban Cowboy "Dusk" aftershave, so anything that would go with that works for me. If you're unfamiliar with it, it's kind of a cloves and cedar scent with some other spice undertones.

Hmmm, may be worth asking Mama Bear if she has something that smells like it. None of the vegan soaps I've had personal experience with has that kind of scent.

Cade is juniper. Pre de Provence is sage. MdC is lavender, rosemary, and mint.

Hmmm, may be worth asking Mama Bear if she has something that smells like it. None of the vegan soaps I've had personal experience with has that kind of scent.

Cade is juniper. Pre de Provence is sage. MdC is lavender, rosemary, and mint.

It doesn't necessarily have to be that type of scent. I see Mama Bear has a knockoff version of the Shulton Old Spice soap. I have a bunch of collector's bottles of the Shulton aftershave...my parents bought some bottles at an estate auction (they sell pottery on E-Bay). Some still had the aftershave in them, and they gave those ones to me. So I imagine that the soap would go well with that.

Honey Bee Spa shaving soaps. Vegan and fantastic.

yes, I was going to mention Honey Bee!

great soap, vegan and incredible value for money. 3 pucks for $12!! but most importantly, they hold their own with any other shaving soap. excellent lather, cushion & protection. they have thousands of scents too (well probably 40-60 :laugh:)

there is also VDH deluxe (Van Der Haagen). I don't know if they are vegan, but the packaging states that it's Vegetarian, also a great performer.

Last edited:
Valobra Crema Di Sapone Regular and Valobra Crema Di Sapone Menthol are vegan, but the stick (Valobra Sapone per Barba) is not as it contains tallow.

HC also makes shave cream and shave soap in that scent. Dusk is my favorite too.

All the french soaps, La Toja, Mama Bears, Klar Kabinett. :thumbup:

You might also want to try out creams. There are a lot that don't have any animal products.

All the french soaps, La Toja, Mama Bears, Klar Kabinett. :thumbup:

You might also want to try out creams. There are a lot that don't have any animal products.

I think most creams don't have animal products. Some have lanolin which is made from wool - Musgo Real and Godrej are the most notable ones.

Kiss My Face - at least the unscented and I'm guessing all scents - has no animal products. Plus it's easily available.

Doing a little research, it looks like glycerin can be vegan or not, there's no way to tell. That rules out a bunch of soaps and creams.

Pre de Provence!

Their shaving soap is excellent! I find it to perform comparably to my tallow-based shaving soap. It is supposedly scented with sage and rosemary, but I find it to smell exactly like fabric softener or dryer sheets... but its a light scent.

Here are the ingredients:
Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Water (Aqua), Fragrance (Parfum), Palm Kernel Acid, Sodium Chloride, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Rosemary Extract - Soybean Oil (Rosmariunus Officinalis - Glycine Soja).

Oh, and it comes in a cool tin.

Pre de Provence!

Their shaving soap is excellent! I find it to perform comparably to my tallow-based shaving soap. It is supposedly scented with sage and rosemary, but I find it to smell exactly like fabric softener or dryer sheets... but its a light scent.

I am fairly new, but used PdP for the first time this morning and thought it was really great. Definitely worth a try!

Top Bottom