What's new

Are there any good vanilla colognes you can recommend?

Because she hated it, or thought it smelled too good on you?

Depends on how many people were in that second shower.

Details, please!
Is this a movie, perhaps?

Definitely because she did not want me to embarrass myself. She claimed it smelled like a combo of really pungent and cheap ladies perfume and bug repellant. Alas, it was just me in the shower, and my recently acquired samples were relegated to our septic leaching field - via the toilet. She did not want me to throw them in the trash for fear they would break/leak and make a bad impression on the garbage man.

I would suggest this too! I'd wear it in the Summer as well, if I had a bottle! :001_tongu

Yet another vote for the Eau de Baux. I've got a bottle of it, I liked it that much. (and the shower gel... L'Occitane has a special running get the combo of the EdT & the shower gel for only $9 more than the EdT alone - Gel is usually $20 I think.)

I very rarely wear vanilla, but when I do, my favorite is ETRO Heliotrope. A very accurate rendition of one of my favorite garden flowers. ETRO also makes an excellent Sandalwood, but the whole ETRO line is superb and highly recommended.

Attachments

• $heliotrope-etro.jpg
    $heliotrope-etro.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 74
Guerlain - Tonka Imperiale -this is the best, very high end extremely delicious
Caron - pour un homme - very creamy, soft, natural vanilla at the base

Last edited:
Thanks very much for all of the suggestions (and stories!), gents! I didn't realize there were so many options out there, and I appreciate the tips. Thanks again,

Dave :ihih:

Definitely because she did not want me to embarrass myself. She claimed it smelled like a combo of really pungent and cheap ladies perfume and bug repellant. Alas, it was just me in the shower, and my recently acquired samples were relegated to our septic leaching field - via the toilet. She did not want me to throw them in the trash for fear they would break/leak and make a bad impression on the garbage man.

I've never heard of anyone wanting to impress their garbage man before. There's a joke in there somewhere.....:lol:

Thanks very much for all of the suggestions (and stories!), gents! I didn't realize there were so many options out there, and I appreciate the tips. Thanks again,

Dave :ihih:

I think pure vanilla scents are not so common, but it is a very frequent note in scents in general is my impression. Note that we are talking about scent-making vanillla here, not baking vanilla, with a few notable exceptions. I think of scent-making vanilla as being essentially foral. I assume it is made or based on the vanilla flower rather than on vanilla pods/seeds, as the cooking ingrediant is. A time honored scent ingrediant for sure!

Another discovery today that has a nice vanilla note in the dry down and also a bit of chocolate as well - Animale Animale by Animale. It bears resemblance to A*Men on the opening and mid range, but lacks the nasty mildewy, tarry notes I dislike in A*Men. I like this one, and it's cheap.

I recently tried Fahrenheit 32 and I can smell a strong vanilla note in it. It resembles the signature scent of the Zwitsal brand baby line.

Another discovery today that has a nice vanilla note in the dry down and also a bit of chocolate as well - Animale Animale by Animale. It bears resemblance to A*Men on the opening and mid range, but lacks the nasty mildewy, tarry notes I dislike in A*Men. I like this one, and it's cheap.

Yep. Both are the epitome of gourmond to me, which seems to mean something with vanilla in it, although I have trouble thinking of things alike Lolita Lempicka and Caron Pour Homme being gourmond.

Lots of good suggestions... But i'm surprised no one has mentioned hypnotic poison ! In my opinion, this is one of the most well balanced vanilla centred fragrances there is (mostly almond and vanilla). Also, i second the suggstion for fahrenheit 32 ...an interesting minty vanilla.
Allan

I'm not a fan of gourmand scents.
Minotaure - Paloma Picasso.
An oriental with a base of vanilla and sandalwood. The forerunner of Joop and Le Male but much better.

Top Bottom