What's new

Are there any fans of the Derby Extra out there...?

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Used Derby Extras for the longest time - they’re the ones I reach for whenever I want a problem free, mindless shave. I’ll use classically “better” blades (GSB, Astra SP, etc) if I’m going for BBS and have the time to do 2/3 passes, which isn’t all that frequent.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I just put one in my razor this morning and used it. It performed ok. I received a 5 pack of them with the last razor I bought.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
My skin just hates them. Razor burn all over my neck when I use them.

Envoyé de mon SM-N950W en utilisant Tapatalk
Not to suggest you have bad technique, but could it be that you’re pressing down a bit more since the razor is so mild? That, or having to shave the same area multiple times because of its mildness could potentially explain the razor burn.

I really like the Derby Extra in an aggressive razor, it’s a nightmare in milder razors for me.

Not to suggest you have bad technique, but could it be that you’re pressing down a bit more since the razor is so mild? That, or having to shave the same area multiple times because of its mildness could potentially explain the razor burn.

I really like the Derby Extra in an aggressive razor, it’s a nightmare in milder razors for me.
I'm still pretty new to DE shaving, and technique certainly has something to do with it. I've tried 7 different blade brands so far, with the same technique and same razor. The Derby was the worst. Oddly, the dorco st-301, a blade that isn't very highly rated on here, doesn't give me any or very light razor burn. And I have very sensitive skin.

Envoyé de mon SM-N950W en utilisant Tapatalk

I am not a fan of the Derby Extra. I prefer GSBs, Astra SP, Gillette Platinums and Polsilver SI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw the green vertical logo one sold locally. Didn't dare buy it although it's cheap.

Is the vertical one the new or old version?

JCarr

I used a new razor yesterday with a Feather blade and got a really close shave. I've been using Astra SP and Derby Extra blades prior. They get the job done, but there is a difference. Only thing I can take away from this is...you have to find the blade that works for you.

I saw the green vertical logo one sold locally. Didn't dare buy it although it's cheap.

Is the vertical one the new or old version?
The vertical logo is the old version. They're supposed to last longer and be more consistent from shave to shave than the new horizontal logo version.

The new version is supposedly sharper and smoother, though.

I tried a free older version (vertical logo) the other day and it was great. Gave me two hassle free BBS wtg+atg shaves. They're not the sharpest blade obviously but they're sharper than the treet platinum I tried shortly after, bloody things needed two atg passes to get everything.

I've got a mild beard so I doubt they'd work on a copper wire beard.

giphy.gif

I was until yesterday and today. I first bought Derby blades when I got started 18 months ago. Four days ago, I loaded a BIC Platinum Chrome in my Rockwell 6S and loved it. Then yesterday, I took the same blade out and put it in my Occam's DE Razor with the closed comb plate. It was magic. Took shave number four today and it was equally as good. Moving on to BIC for sure.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I'm curious as to how many of you enjoy the humble Derby Extra blade? It's a blade that gets a lot of flak but as if YMMV style was ever in any doubt I'm yet to have a bad shave with one...
I use them in shavettes and they are excellent. Very effective and comfortable blade. If you like them, just keep using them. Can’t beat the price either. They just aren’t exotic.

JCarr

I've got a five-pack of Derby Premium blades that I'm looking forward to trying out. Have read some good things about them on the B&B forums.

I bought 100 of the pre 2017 vertical pack Derby Extras when I started DE shaving and have used about 30 of them in a variety of razors - they are smooth and predictable, but I switched to Astra SP a while back as I find them every bit as smooth, but noticeably sharper than the Derbys.

If I had to use just one type of blade, from my limited experience, it would be the Astra SP as a great all-rounder.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

JCarr

Used the Derby Premium this morning. I was impressed. This has real potential. Will be trying a Voskhod tomorrow morning.

I received 10 Derby Extras from another forum member. With one exception, I they yielded great shaves any my razors. The exception was sharp one one side, but duller than gravel on the other. I 'blade banked' that one after two uses.

JCarr

My next 100 blade purchase may be 100 Derby Premiums. It's hot in my current running of "what works best for me."

Top Bottom