What's new

Are there any fans of the Derby Extra out there...?

Not exactly a fan but I do like them.
Derby Extra DE, Premium DE and SE and Derby Professional SE

I used a Derby Extra last night in a Fatip gentile. I found some threads where somebody was recommending the combination. Curiosity got the better of me. My face looks like it's sunburned. Garbage. The blade felt smooth as glass but left me red all over. Great razor garbage blade.

For me derby blades are a mid tier blade. The best I’ve tried so far would be the Gillette Silver Blues. Worst goes to Merkur blades

For me derby blades are a mid tier blade. The best I’ve tried so far would be the Gillette Silver Blues. Worst goes to Merkur blades
mileage varies...

you can easily go to the projects and find guys that can smoke a rock of crack, or meth, or snort a line of heroin who can get "nice comfy irritation free shaves" simply by using a piece of mirror glass they broke off the side mirror of a cadilac last month.

Terrible for me, have tried in a shavette and 2 DE razors, felt about as comfortable as plucking my facial hair with tweezers but far less efficient. I don't think I'll ever try them again.

I keep Derby Extras in my rotation. Generally good for 3 to 4 shaves. Normally reliable, but sometimes I get a dud; I think their quality control is less than other brands.

I have really uneven skin (lots of acne scarring) and it's sensitive, too; therefore, I prefer a mild blade. That said, not sure I could ever use just one blade - love those variety packs.

I quite enjoy them, and they're consistent i every razor I own.
I rate them slightly below Nacets, and well above Dorco, Shaverboy, and Bolzano.

Reactions: abj
Very serviceable shave. IMO like the Toyota Camry of the shaving world. You're not going to turn any heads with it, but it will get you where you want to go smoothly and efficiently. And they are cheap and pretty much available everywhere.

Reactions: abj

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Still using them occasionally, always work for me during the last 12 years. Derby Extra was the first blade for which I bought a second 100 pack. Great in Super Speeds and Merkur slants.

Most folks pair blades with razors but for me the pairing is the weather. Specifically, the relative humidity. My dry weather, typically winter, blade is the Derby Extra. They are sometimes inconsistent but cheap enough when you get a bad one to just throw it away and start a new one. Good for about five shaves for me. Works in any of the dozen or so razors I have. My humid weather or summertime blade however is a Feather.

I tried one for the first time tonight and it was ok. Nothing special, just ok. I certainly would not buy a large pack of them though.

mileage varies...

you can easily go to the projects and find guys that can smoke a rock of crack, or meth, or snort a line of heroin who can get "nice comfy irritation free shaves" simply by using a piece of mirror glass they broke off the side mirror of a cadilac last month.

+1!! And Derby’s are better than the broken Cadillac mirror! :a29:

This was the first modern DE blade I tried a long time ago. It came with the EJ DE89L I bought.

I've never reached for it since then. I can't get past the dragging I experienced. It was that awful. No need to risk again as there are so many blades out there that suit me better than this.

the thing is im starting to wonder if it matters. People are dumb enough to buy 3 carrats wrapped in plastic for 8$ so its not surprising they buy Derby

I quite enjoy them, and they're consistent i every razor I own.
I rate them slightly below Nacets, and well above Dorco, Shaverboy, and Bolzano.
I'd also put them just behind the Nacet (in terms of comfort, not sharpness) and I definitely prefer the Derby to either Bolzano or Astra. For some reason I've just never got along with those 2.

Top Bottom