What's new

Are there any B&B members wanting to reknot as a hobby/business?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
My dilemma ...

I did one reknot with my son that turned out OK, but what a headache. I don't have the tools (drill press, buffers) or the patience to fill old lettering properly, etc.

So Wolf Whiskers recommended Reyes Restores to reknot one of his own brushes, But it's been about 3 months from initial contact to no-brush-yet, and while I'm patient, and he's had good excuses, that's too long and he is not communicative at all. Others suggest Rudy Vey, but his business is making premiere handles and brushes, which is probably why Pete sent me to Reyes in the first place. They want to make brushes, not reknot our projects. That's fine, I get that.

But I'd gladly pay someone who loves doing this NOT as a business, but as a labor of love, a hobby that brings in a little money that would put it on a slightly higher priority than JR Reyes does. I'd pay a nice profit because you have the machines, and the skills and the experience I don't have or care to obtain for the couple of restores I might want.

So, I don't want to go to Wolf Whiskers (who is not interested in the first place anyway, even in reknotting his brush I bought from him), and I don't want to ask Rudy, because he's in the brush making business, and JR Reyes doesn't treat it like a business. It's a hobby he enjoys, but he doesn't have the customer service instinct to do for others on a timely basis.

So, do any of you fine gents have an interest in reknotting for others for a profit? I think there is a niche hobby/business here that could feed your addiction, if not pay the rent. And there is not a great alternative out there that I've found, you may not have much competition. Just a thought.

Thanks!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
So, he does not mind reknotting, not making his own brushes? I wish I knew that, or wish Pete would send folks to Rudy. Although I understand why he might not want to send us to a competitor brushmaker.

I'm sure I will be delighted with my reknots from JR Reyes, there is not doubt. But he's not a serious business, even a hobby business. I'm looking forward to getting my brushes back, but I would never consider sending another handle to him, that's for sure.

I've got an old Rubberset I'd love to send to a hobbyist. Or maybe if I don't want the tools, I just need to find someone with the tools and bring over a six pack and ask to work there.

Yep, Rudy doesn’t mind. As far as Peter and JR I have nothing but respect for those guys. They are upfront on how they conduct business. It’s really up to the consumer which way you go. All three are stand up in the community and you really can’t make a wrong decision with any of them.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
My dilemma ...

I did one reknot with my son that turned out OK, but what a headache. I don't have the tools (drill press, buffers) or the patience to fill old lettering properly, etc.

So Wolf Whiskers recommended Reyes Restores to reknot one of his own brushes, But it's been about 3 months from initial contact to no-brush-yet, and while I'm patient, and he's had good excuses, that's too long and he is not communicative at all. Others suggest Rudy Vey, but his business is making premiere handles and brushes, which is probably why Pete sent me to Reyes in the first place. They want to make brushes, not reknot our projects. That's fine, I get that.

But I'd gladly pay someone who loves doing this NOT as a business, but as a labor of love, a hobby that brings in a little money that would put it on a slightly higher priority than JR Reyes does. I'd pay a nice profit because you have the machines, and the skills and the experience I don't have or care to obtain for the couple of restores I might want.

So, I don't want to go to Wolf Whiskers (who is not interested in the first place anyway, even in reknotting his brush I bought from him), and I don't want to ask Rudy, because he's in the brush making business, and JR Reyes doesn't treat it like a business. It's a hobby he enjoys, but he doesn't have the customer service instinct to do for others on a timely basis.

So, do any of you fine gents have an interest in reknotting for others for a profit? I think there is a niche hobby/business here that could feed your addiction, if not pay the rent. And there is not a great alternative out there that I've found, you may not have much competition. Just a thought.

Thanks!
John, I'm in the same boat and will be watching your thread closely. I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I have many of the tools, but long a workday & commute constrict my free time. I've done basic restoration of a few brushes. Utterly destroyed a clear acrylic handle attempting to steam out the knot (never again).

I'd like to find "a guy" that could do some of the brush restoration work I just can't get to. For example, I have a vintage Klenzo Rexall handle awaiting a good polish and a new knot. Really liking the images @Adjustingtolife posted. Love to know what you wind up doing.

Would also vouch for Rudy, he is always open to chat brushes and it's always been good communications with him. I have one actual purchase from him, and bounced a reknot idea off him that I did not proceed with (not because of him, my own reason/decision).

I would also mention Larry from Whipped dog for a reknot, good prices and prompt service. Have 2 purchases and 1 reknot from him and it's been quick, smooth sailing every time.

Top Bottom