What's new

Are there any advantages (or disadvantages) of a SE razor over a DE razor?

In general se blades are stiff which gives more control for some.
Heads can be narrower which can be easier under the nose
There are ac blades with training wheels (pro safe) which makes them allmost idiot proof. And this is why I keep it forever. Just not as a daily shaver.

Performance is subjective and more like a personal preference. It also depends on which SE we talk about, since injectors, GEM style razors, AC style razors and a couple of other not as common types are fall under the SE category.

I've used injectors, AC and GEM blades and my personal preference is the injectors. The others are also very good, but for me the injectors are much easier to use and the absolute auto-pilot shave that guarantees a fast, smooth and effortless BBS every time.

Are SE blades and razors superior to DE blades and razors? Maybe. The SE blades are thicker and it's nearly impossible to experience the blade chatter phenomenon, which lots of folks suffer from.

Get yourself a couple of GEM/Star/Ever ready razors and a few injectors and give them a try is my advice,

A version of this question has been asked numerous times over the years. Here are a few previous threads:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@JasonJT , I’m so happy your move towards other razors than your Sledgehammer isn’t my fault.

Can’t wait to read what you’ve received and your experiences with them.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
My real "thing" is learning and exploring. It comes down to preference or a desire for variety -- either way there's only one person on the planet who can tell you how you like it.

I admit that injectors do not and never have engaged me. I don't know why; it just seemed like something I didn't want to try. I grew up thinking of DE razors as "normal" because that's what Mum used. Dad used an electric. A bicycle racer in my youth, I was sympathetic to my mother's razor use but did not emulate it in a search for ultimate aerodynamic efficiency.

Honestly my first reaction to discovering Gem-style razors was "so that's what else you can do with those blades" being well acquainted with box cutters and paint scrapers. I can read; cautions against using such blades for shaving did not fall on "deaf eyes." The whole AC thing was a bit of a mystery to me but I tried a few razors and have found two I like: the ATT X1 AC slant and the RazoRock Hawk V3SB. I have a small rotation of Gem and Gem-style razors as well.

I've lately been reining in my desire to Try All The Razors. Oh, yeah...I'm waiting on a Konsul. :001_rolle I recognize that I've found what I like, so anything else is just for sport. Mostly. I'm sure there are still lovely razors out there to discover, and I'm still hunting a couple of "unicorns."

O.H.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I like the thin head of my Executive Shaving Co. Claymore Evolution. I love the Feather ProGuard blades I'm using. I will experiment with a few other blade choices but there are only 5 of them, unless I wanted a more aggressive blade, which I don't. so.... in a few months, I can determine which blade works the best...no need to spend years matching blades to various DE razors.

I got back into wet shaving for the actual shaving experience over Gillette cartridge razors and canned shaving cream. I like the rituals of the shave but am not looking to find another expensive hobby. I already have a couple of those. ;)

If you do nick or catch yourself, the SE razors don't seem to cut/nick as deep. (Possibly due to the thicker blade?). Not saying you won't have a raw feeling face, if you're not at least somewhat careful, but if you do lapse in attention, the results don't seem to be as bad.

Other than that, they do shave at a different blade angle, and of course the blade is more rigid, being thicker than your typical DE blade. (SE blades don't flex).

The main difference between DE and SE is the blades. I’m happy with both formats but I enjoy using Artist Club blades very much. There are several potential advantages with AC blades, but of course personal preference is most important.

You can use an AC blade for much longer and it’s nice not to count how many shaves I’ve done with a blade and not having to switch out blades nearly so often. I think all the common AC blades perform extremely well, and the differences in blade exposure, sharpness and smoothness are greater than DE, so you can use different blades to dial-in the performance of your SE razor. The extra rigidity of AC blades does reduce blade chatter and this seems to cause fewer nicks. And you can get guarded AC blades if you want (which you can‘t for a DE blade), although I think the guarded blades are mostly intended for shavettes, which can be slightly intimidating using unguarded AC blades since they are much sharper than straight razor edges tend to be. The extra width of AC blades is either an advantage or disadvantage for you - they enable you to shave with fewer strokes on your skin, so potentially a quicker shave with less irritation, but they are less nimble for the hollow areas of your face, and skin-stretching becomes more important. I also think that the wider AC blades encourage the use of curved or J-strokes which can make your shaving technique more effective.

I would definitely encourage anyone to try an AC SE razor. You can’t know which format is best for you until you try. Certainly some of the best safety razors available today are AC format SE razors, so the options are in no way inferior.

Last edited:
I prefer ac and also own injector, de, and gem razors.

I like the wider blades and I like the blade packaging too.

Attachments

• 20220401_184818.jpg
    20220401_184818.jpg
    903.1 KB · Views: 11

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm on the record here in many places: I really enjoy shaving with my Executive Shaving Co. Claymore Evolution. Almost no learning curve... very intuitive... very close shaves.... fun to use.

I will add something that may not have been mentioned about why SE can be a better choice than DE. In the case of older wedge (hollow ground) blades you can put a good edge on once and with a few strokes strop back to 100% just about forever. I am working on a few blades but don't quite have the knack yet.
100_6662.JPG

Can’t speak for other SE’s but Schick injectors (esp. E’s and G’s) outshave every DE bar none.
Don't forget the magazine repeaters! 20 blades in a cartridge each blade good for multiple shaves. Once you learn the mechanism and subtle tricks for getting the slightly thinner modern blades to feed properly, they are awesome100_5460.JPG100_5463.JPG100_5462.JPG100_5465.JPG.

Attachments

• 100_5461.JPG
    100_5461.JPG
    1,004.6 KB · Views: 6
I like the thin head of my Executive Shaving Co. Claymore Evolution. I love the Feather ProGuard blades I'm using. I will experiment with a few other blade choices but there are only 5 of them, unless I wanted a more aggressive blade, which I don't. so.... in a few months, I can determine which blade works the best...no need to spend years matching blades to various DE razors.

I got back into wet shaving for the actual shaving experience over Gillette cartridge razors and canned shaving cream. I like the rituals of the shave but am not looking to find another expensive hobby. I already have a couple of those. ;)
I have enjoyed watching your journey!

Blades are thicker on a SE usually and they tend to last longer also but they are more pricier unless buying Gem Personna or Personna injector blades. I use both blade systems and DE blades are cheaper and offer a large variety of coatings.
When using SE Gem Personna blades my cost are $.02-.04 per shave where De the cost per shave is $.01-.06 per shave(depends on blade $ per 100pcs and amount of shaves before tossed).
But when you get into AC 50mm SE blades the cost can go upwards a lot per shave if that matters. Some fellows cost per shave is not a big deal and carry on. If you are interested in SE I would recommend vintage Gem razors or Everready razors and Connaught shaving UK supplies excellent blades for these.
Another good SE razors are the Schick injectors that can be bought used at Antique stores or thrift stores and blades can be also be bought at Connaught shaving UK.
(This might be why SE blades last longer)
View attachment 1405198
Have some great shaves!
First. Ron you are the man.

Short response.

One of the reasons I prefer SE’s is because of the fewer blade choices.

I know the quality of each shave will be the same, useless I do something different. I like a stiff blade.

I only use a 1924 shovel head. I only use GEM CS or Coated SS blades. I like the SS PTFE blades best. Smoother, more efficient. Good for coarse hair.

When I shave , I shave face and head. I get 3-4 good shave’s depending on how many days between shaves. I could stretch the blade use, but why. The blades are not too expensive like someone pointed out.

I am sure the are a few others SE blades:

PAL, a quality blade. Hard to find.
Treet, I believe

Maybe a few others.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
First. Ron you are the man.

Short response.

One of the reasons I prefer SE’s is because of the fewer blade choices.

I know the quality of each shave will be the same, useless I do something different. I like a stiff blade.

I only use a 1924 shovel head. I only use GEM CS or Coated SS blades. I like the SS PTFE blades best. Smoother, more efficient. Good for coarse hair.

When I shave , I shave face and head. I get 3-4 good shave’s depending on how many days between shaves. I could stretch the blade use, but why. The blades are not too expensive like someone pointed out.

I am sure the are a few others SE blades:

PAL, a quality blade. Hard to find.
Treet, I believe

Maybe a few others.
Looks like you came to the same conclusion I arrived at, glad your enjoying the ER 1924(AKA shovelhead) also. That razor was in production a lot of years also so I figure it was enjoyed by many.

Top Bottom