What's new

Are there any advantages (or disadvantages) of a SE razor over a DE razor?

Greetings all.

Something that just came to mind while browsing safety razors.

Without going too technical are there any advantages or disadvantages of a single edge razor over a double edge razor? To me at least; I can't see an advantage of a SE razor over a DE razor as there is only one cutting edge, plus the razors seem more expensive and the choice of blades doesn't seem as varied as with De blades.

Not trying to stir up a hornet's nest or anything as I'm sure both razors have their fans. Was just a curiosity question that I felt need answering please.

Thanks.

Jason.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Blades are thicker on a SE usually and they tend to last longer also but they are more pricier unless buying Gem Personna or Personna injector blades. I use both blade systems and DE blades are cheaper and offer a large variety of coatings.
When using SE Gem Personna blades my cost are $.02-.04 per shave where De the cost per shave is $.01-.06 per shave(depends on blade $ per 100pcs and amount of shaves before tossed).
But when you get into AC 50mm SE blades the cost can go upwards a lot per shave if that matters. Some fellows cost per shave is not a big deal and carry on. If you are interested in SE I would recommend vintage Gem razors or Everready razors and Connaught shaving UK supplies excellent blades for these.
Another good SE razors are the Schick injectors that can be bought used at Antique stores or thrift stores and blades can be also be bought at Connaught shaving UK.
(This might be why SE blades last longer)
blade_angle-se-de.gif

Have some great shaves!

Greetings all.

Something that just came to mind while browsing safety razors.

Without going too technical are there any advantages or disadvantages of a single edge razor over a double edge razor? To me at least; I can't see an advantage of a SE razor over a DE razor as there is only one cutting edge, plus the razors seem more expensive and the choice of blades doesn't seem as varied as with De blades.

Not trying to stir up a hornet's nest or anything as I'm sure both razors have their fans. Was just a curiosity question that I felt need answering please.

Thanks.

Jason.

I'll get my popcorn and pull up a chair, as these discussions about which shaving platform is better are pretty entertaining. I'll start with a couple of comments:

Razors are more expensive? New production maybe, I don't know because I have never bought a new production SE razor and only a few new production DE razors. Vintage SE razors were built to last; the newest one in my rotation came out in 1958. You can find good examples of vintage SE razors on ebay and etsy all day long for cheeeep, like under $25.

Choice of blades not as varied as DE - that's not a disadvantage, that's one of the biggest points in favor of the SE platform. Too many DE shavers blame the blade for lack of technique; they embark on a quest for the One True Blade that will solve all their problems. With SE, you have a limited number of excellent blades with which to hone your technique. No 50-blade sampler packs to wade through with SE.

One cutting edge and not two - not a big deal at all when you consider that a DE blade will last most users 3-6 shaves before crapping out. A PTFE-coated GEM blade lasts me anywhere from 8-12 shaves and sometimes more. Injector blades? I usually get bored with the razor before I wear out the blade, and I'm talking 2-3 weeks of use.

There is one caveat to this blade-life discussion. I have repeatedly used Treet carbon DE blades for 26-28 shaves in my Jones Shake-Sharp razor....which is, of course, an SE platform utilizing only one edge per shave.

So do I only shave with SE razors? No, I use several DE razors that are good for BBS shaves, it's just that none of them are currently in production and I can't recommend a razor that is rare or hard to find in good condition or otherwise overly expensive - none of the DE razors I'm talking about were cranked out by Gillette.

So that's my $.02 worth.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Ultimately I think it all boils down to just a personal preference. Carts, electrics, straights, DE, SE….they all remove hair. So really it just matters what you prefer to use. Try them all, find one that’s comfortable for you, fits your style, or needs. Ease of use. Whatever it might be that makes you say “yeah, I like this one the best”.

I’ve tried them all and I prefer the DE. Occasionally I will use a SE, but thats rare. I have gotten good shaves with an SE, nothing at all wrong with them. I just prefer the DE because there are A TON more blade options and I like to try new blades. But also because I find it easy to use and comfortable and I’m better with it because I’ve used the DE more often.

So any advantages or disadvantages really are negated when you simply boil it down to finding something you just like to use.

Personal preference honestly. You can't really say whether you'll like it more or less until you give it a go. I personally prefer SE atm. The Kai Blue SE blades are extremely sharp whilst also being very smooth and last a long time. I've used one to a month of daily shaving and was fine with it. I'd say now I take it to between 11-14 shaves. The extra real-estate of the blade is useful too. It doesn't seem like much but once you get used to it DE's feel a bit wasteful time wise. Mostly, the difference lies in the blades. They're much thicker, wider, last longer and cut better.

Eben Stone

Staff member
With at least 113 varieties of DE blades (based on what is currently available at a popular online "club"), I feel it can be a bit overwhelming.

There are a few single-edge formats, but I'm only familiar with the Feather AC format, so I'll just stick with that one.

There are approx 9 varieties of AC format blades. That seems a little more manageable.

IMO, there are 2 benefits to the AC format that I think are worth mentioning:

1) there are less choices of blades. This sounds counter-intuitive. I'll give an example of why this is good: if you shave every day, and you consider 4 shaves with a blade a good test, you could literally try all the Feather AC format blades in just over a month. Compare that to DE blades which would take more than one year to try them all. I think its nice to be able to discover which blade works best for you by trying them all. Maybe that's being unrealistic, because I haven't tried all the DE blades, I have no desire left to try new blades after discovering Nacets.

2) the blades are thicker, which may be helpful if you have very tough whiskers.

I like experimenting with my RazoRock Hawk V3-OC with Kai Mild blades, but I still prefer the shaves with my Blackland Dart and Henson TI +++.

Thanks to all for your detailed replies. I am perfectly happy with my 39c Sledgehammer and the Nacet blades. However I would like to try other blades (yes I’m aware there are countless other brands to choose from) just for pure experimentation purposes.

As you all know the Sledgehammer is a slant bar razor and my beard is VERY tough so for me a slant bar is the only kind of razor that does the job without any irritation. However based on the replies here I am intrigued by the SE having a thicker and sharper blade.

Jason

And then you have the Oblyc, the original SE slant.😁

Wilkinson Sword Empire razors offer facing angle adjustment, from 180 degree to about 35, and have adjustable guards to change blade exposure.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Wow, I was excited to get into this conversation when I read the original post, and then after reading everyone else's comments, I realized I had little to add...except for my own preferences. I started with DE, fell in love with Slants -- and a variety of vintage DE razors; then discovered SE (Injector, GEM and AC) and for me, the SE is what I choose most often....and that is usually a Schick (Injector), with the GEM being a close 2nd and then the AC. I have nearly a hundred razors (it may be over a hundred...RAD took me over a few years ago), but when the lady of the house says, "we don't have time for you to play around shaving, just get it done", I reach for an injector (I have over 15 Schick/Eversharp injector razors) and I get an exceptionally close shave with 2 passes and not a hint of irritation.

You really can pick up an inexpensive injector or GEM razor, and I'd give one a try. You can find A LOT of threads of guys who have abandoned their DE's after trying SE's -- and you can also find A LOT (or at least a few) threads of guys who have embraced their DE's after trying SE's....this will be one of those things where only you can make the call.

The only SE I’ve tried is the Blackland Vector with Feather Artist Club blades. It is certainly a different animal to any DE that I’ve ever come across. The blades are substantially longer, thicker and narrower than a DE. The final point allows for a ridiculously thin razor head.

The advantages of this system are

1. A wider shaving surface per pass
2. Reduced (eliminated?) blade flex
3. Better able to follow the contours of the face and get into tight areas

One use of this razor instantly solved several trouble spots that I had with DE’s.

Injectors shave great, but they are boring.

GEM razors are good once you get the hang of them, but they lack the wow factor for me.

DE razors, in general, are more fun than injectors and it seems like there is more variety than Gem-style razors.
AC razors are like injectors but with a wider blade. Efficient, smooth, but ultimately they also become boring. I do think they are better than injectors.

AC shavettes, on the other hand, have allhthe advantages of the AC/injector razors and then some! No matter how long it has been since you shaved, they never clog! Never. You could shave off a five-inch long beard in a single pass! And they are MUCH more fun to shave with than either injectors or AC razors.

Therefore, AC shavettes are my choice, and have been since September of 2019.

After using DE's for a while I also started using AC blades in shavettes so I figured I would try the RR Hawk too since it used the same blade. It is different and fun to shave with an SE and I get a very good shave with my RR Hawk A.

Don't forget razors like the twig that just use a normal DE blade snapped in half. You get the variety of all the DE blades available. I would say that there is an advantage of maneuverability with a SE.

Once again thanks to all of your replies on this thread! I can see there are people who prefer SEs over DEs and vice versa! I didn't know my thread was going to turn into a debate over what kind of razor is better! Not that it matters, everybody is entitled to their opinion!

Anyway a member has very kindly offered to send me a couple of SE razors (thanks to that member). I have checked with the wife and would you believe it? She said I can have them!

I'll let you lot know when they arrive and obviously reviews will be posted in due course!

Kind regards to all.

Jason.

Personal preferences.

Started journey with DE razor. After watching "PaulHfilms" on YT using Ever Ready razor decided that I want try it too. And to be honest - I am not looking back to DE razor.
Ever Ready 1912 use GEM SE blades - ConnaughtShaving is a place to purchase it. 100 blades cost £16.80. I have 8-10 comfortable shaves per blade.

Top Bottom