What's new

Are the perfect razors & blades a forever thing?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I did since I found them to be really light right off the bat. Plus they have very little blade gap. I also tried a couple different blades. I think my face/whiskers have adapted to aggressive razors and/or my expectations have grown after using those types of razors. I never put them in my rotation but I'll take it out again at some point and give it another whirl. (I now only have one, coincidentally I sold one today!)

Shaving is definitely a ymmv thing, because I think I could probably peel an apple with that Light and thin Tech head of I applied just a little bit of pressure.
I also use straights and Shavette’s and can get every bit as close of a shave with the lightweight Tech as I can with any of them.

Whatever works, works!
I use Proraso red occasionally and love it, and my daily aftershave is Proraso red. My almost daily shaving cream is TOBS Cedarwood. I too don't chase to try new stuff when it comes to creams, aftershaves, brushes etc..
But I do have a problem with razors & blades, LOL!! Can't stop trying those!
The Wilkinson blades are on my top 3 best blades and work with pretty much any razor.
I use the German ones though, don't know which ones you have.
Either way, their all good!
German Wilkinson blades are very high in my list also. I've recently bought a bunch of English Wilkinson blades to try to satisfy my curiosity about the old school version.

I will say that I recently tried an English Nacet blade made in 1976 and it was superbly smooth and efficient. If I run across them again, I'll buy more.

I've recently bought a bunch of English Wilkinson blades to try to satisfy my curiosity about the old school version.
Have you tried them yet?
It would be interesting to read what you think about them vs. the German ones.
I've tried a few blades and settled on the Wilkinsons, Bic & Gillette Platinum. Those 3 seem to work on everything. All the others I've tried have been mediocre. And the worst for me were Voskhod & Merkur Super blades.

This is how I typically use them:
Agressive razor: Gillette Platinum
Mid-agressive razor: Wilkinson
Mild razor: Bic Chrome Platinum

I still have a bunch left to try that I bought a while back and also placed some orders for even more different brands. I'm set for now on razors so it's time to experiment with some different blades.

Have you tried them yet?
It would be interesting to read what you think about them vs. the German ones.
I've tried a few blades and settled on the Wilkinsons, Bic & Gillette Platinum. Those 3 seem to work on everything. All the others I've tried have been mediocre. And the worst for me were Voskhod & Merkur Super blades.

This is how I typically use them:
Agressive razor: Gillette Platinum
Mid-agressive razor: Wilkinson
Mild razor: Bic Chrome Platinum

I still have a bunch left to try that I bought a while back and also placed some orders for even more different brands. I'm set for now on razors so it's time to experiment with some different blades.
Your list of horses for courses makes sense to me.

I haven't tried the English Wilkinsons yet because I'm in the midst of SEptember, and I'm running through my collection of SE razors. I made an exception for the English NACET blade and a new to me mid-50s English Rocket HD that I just bought. That combo gave me one of the best shaves I've ever had (link). I'll be giving one of the Wilkies a try in that Rocket early in October. I presume there will be an OCtober event for open comb razors. I'll do a few OC shaves, but I won't go all in.

lasta

Blade Biter
Your list of horses for courses makes sense to me.

I haven't tried the English Wilkinsons yet because I'm in the midst of SEptember, and I'm running through my collection of SE razors. I made an exception for the English NACET blade and a new to me mid-50s English Rocket HD that I just bought. That combo gave me one of the best shaves I've ever had (link). I'll be giving one of the Wilkies a try in that Rocket early in October. I presume there will be an OCtober event for open comb razors. I'll do a few OC shaves, but I won't go all in.
Those are excellent blades, and I'm glad we came across some around the same time. I just finished 7 shaves on my first one!

But I'd be a little cautious about stirring too much wanting on a thread like this!

Blades are the most YMMV shaving items around. There are enough threads making out English Wilkies and London Bridges as holy grails, but to me they are just so so. Not missing much from what's available now.

I'll buy more of these vintage Nacets if they come around, but modern Nacets are top notch!

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
OK, I wrote that out of spite. Don't want the prices too high the next time they turn up!

Vintage Double Nacets are the holy grail of blades, ultimate bee's knee's and cutecake crumblers!

Top Bottom