What's new

Are the perfect razors & blades a forever thing?

As there are 4 seasons, there are
4 razors
4 blades
4 brushes
4 soaps
4 aftershaves
4 perfumes
And you are set for life
With this you have countless combinationas, depending on your mood
Is this set up big? IMO no

I doubt you will ever outgrow a collection of Nacets.

Not my type of blade, horrible performance (for me of course)

From what I've heard/read as you age youll likely prefer a sharp blade (tougher whiskers) in a milder razor (skin less likely to take abuse). But being in my mid 30ies, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. In the meantime I enjoy the here and now.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm 69. I don't know what shaving will be like if I make it into my 80's but I suspect my whiskers are set in time. I think skin issues might come into play but they already have so.......

I need to use mild scented or unscented soaps now. Will that reverse itself somehow? Well, I'm doing stuff to get my skin in a healthier place so who knows?

As far as razors, I think I agree with the above sentiments. I'm too new at this to know for sure. At this point, I like "mild but efficient" razors. I don't have a desire for razors on the more aggressive scale. I say that, but I did just order a RR Lupo 95OC. <eg>... though I got the 72SB as well.

I read so many of the threads here. I enjoy it. When I see the word "smooth" used to describe a razor, my interest is peaked. When I see the phrase "efficient but not all that smooth" or something to that effect, I tend to think, that razor probably isn't something I'd enjoy.

"Forever" is a pretty long time. As @luvmysuper said... change is forever with us. We have to learn to hit the curve. <eg>

I was just thinking about this today.
I have some razors & blades that I would consider perfect for me. They are stellar performers! I'm sure most of you do as well.
What I'm wondering is if they will always perform like that?
Or can other factors change this at some point?
i.e., skin changes, different shaving products or maybe even something entirely different!
And of course, damage is not a factor here. I'm aware that if a razor is dropped, it can go out of whack.
Anyone experience a change at some point after using a perfect setup for a while?
Don't think anything is forever. Think of all the post over the years from B&Bers who used specific equipment/shaving products (e.g. a specific shave soap) for decades and then became more educated and now use a variety of items.

Don't think anything is forever. Think of all the post over the years from B&Bers who used specific equipment/shaving products (e.g. a specific shave soap) for decades and then became more educated and now use a variety of items.
Well, what I've read since joining B&B is not that people changed products because they became educated. What i see is people go crazy buying stuff and they change and change!
Including me🤣

From what I've heard/read as you age youll likely prefer a sharp blade (tougher whiskers) in a milder razor (skin less likely to take abuse). But being in my mid 30ies, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. In the meantime I enjoy the here and now.
If you have some Nacets, do not toss them out. A few decades from now, they might become your favorite blades.

There are millions of shavers in the world. That is why there are so many variations in razors, blades, brushes, soaps, scents, etc. The difficult thing is identifying the exact combination that works for you, but that combination is likely to change over time.

I was just thinking about this today.
I have some razors & blades that I would consider perfect for me. They are stellar performers! I'm sure most of you do as well.
What I'm wondering is if they will always perform like that?
Or can other factors change this at some point?
i.e., skin changes, different shaving products or maybe even something entirely different!
And of course, damage is not a factor here. I'm aware that if a razor is dropped, it can go out of whack.
Anyone experience a change at some point after using a perfect setup for a while?

Personal preferences will change over time, but there is also an evolution of the hardware that we use (and maybe even a certain decline in the case of straight razors, where much of the quality of the razor depends on the experience and skills of the person who made it).

Ever heard the saying “The better is the enemy of the good?”
What is “the best” today may be merely “good” in a few years.

Just remember how the Mühle R41 got overtaken by better razors and I do remember a time about 15 years ago when Derby blades in the light green packaging were considered by some the bees knees. Now they seem to hover at the bottom of the desirability list.

So while it some items get better and some items may get worse, it seems to be safe to say that there is always some movement.

B.

Definitely will change over time as a body ages or reflects other changes. Had to use an electric razor a while ago with a significant weight loss. Took some time for face and particularly neck areas to tighten up. DE shaving was impossible as were carts.

Most men experience thinning skin as they age. What worked in your 20's, 30's, 40's doesn't quite cut it anymore. Then there are medical issues which fortunately I have not experienced that can impact shaving methods.

Im old, so looking down the road I do not anticipate great changes in my skin, beard, etc. If something does change over the years it will be gradual, allowing plenty of time to adapt. I can't see a future where I'm going to be desperately searching for a DE razor and blade that works.

Honestly, if it ever comes to that I will revert to carts...or grow a full-on mountain-man beard.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I think it's more about our preferences developing over time.

When I first started tradition wet shaving I was quick to move into straight razors. After returning to DE's I naturally went for more blade forward razors and pretty much assumed that beyond a certain point of effective blade exposure, all razors shave the same.

After getting my first Tech, I realized that mild razors can do the job too. Smoother and zippier while it's at it!

Maybe it's age catching up, but feels like the more I learn, the less I know...

Great post. Very insightful. My best DE shave is with a $4 very thin Tech head, with a plastic handle.

I'd have to agree with that. I've tried Nacet's and they're horrible for me. When it comes to Gillette's, the Platinum's are my #1's. I too haven't crossed mid life yet so my whiskers aren't wire yet. For me it's mid-agressive to agressive razors with blades that are not mega sharp.

I am not too fussy and shave with my Dollar Tree TTO or 3-piece razors when I need to shave through 4-5 days of growth because they are on the more aggressive end of the spectrum. For a "vintage" mild shave I use one of my Gillette Techs or my '54 Super Speed. My modern Wilkinson TTO razor also gives a nice mild shave. It was my first DE razor. I now added the King C. Gillette razor to the "collection" and I read it's also a mild type of razor. The only blades I have any experience with are Wilkinson or Shaverboy blades (I bought a 100 pack for cheap). Both blades work for me. In that sense I am one of those "if it ain't broke..." type of people. I am currently using and enjoying the Proraso soap and use an old Made Rite (badger) or new Wilkinson (boar) shave brush and don't feel the need to change.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Interesting! I bought a couple of Tech's and found them on the lower end of efficiency. If I wanted a close shave, I'd have to make like 4 passes and I'm a 2 pass shaver. They are smooth though!

Did you try pressure? :)

I am not too fussy and shave with my Dollar Tree TTO or 3-piece razors when I need to shave through 4-5 days of growth because they are on the more aggressive end of the spectrum. For a "vintage" mild shave I use one of my Gillette Techs or my '54 Super Speed. My modern Wilkinson TTO razor also gives a nice mild shave. It was my first DE razor. I now added the King C. Gillette razor to the "collection" and I read it's also a mild type of razor. The only blades I have any experience with are Wilkinson or Shaverboy blades (I bought a 100 pack for cheap). Both blades work for me. In that sense I am one of those "if it ain't broke..." type of people. I am currently using and enjoying the Proraso soap and use an old Made Rite (badger) or new Wilkinson (boar) shave brush and don't feel the need to change.
Whatever works, works!
I use Proraso red occasionally and love it, and my daily aftershave is Proraso red. My almost daily shaving cream is TOBS Cedarwood. I too don't chase to try new stuff when it comes to creams, aftershaves, brushes etc..
But I do have a problem with razors & blades, LOL!! Can't stop trying those!
The Wilkinson blades are on my top 3 best blades and work with pretty much any razor.
I use the German ones though, don't know which ones you have.
Either way, their all good!

Did you try pressure? :)
I did since I found them to be really light right off the bat. Plus they have very little blade gap. I also tried a couple different blades. I think my face/whiskers have adapted to aggressive razors and/or my expectations have grown after using those types of razors. I never put them in my rotation but I'll take it out again at some point and give it another whirl. (I now only have one, coincidentally I sold one today!)

Top Bottom