What's new

Are the 1940's Super Speed head similar to the later Flare Tips?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Were the differences only in the handles? I just got a 1940's super speed which I think it more handsome than my later flare tip, but do they shave pretty much the same?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There's an amazing analysis here by asylumguido on the differences in the super speeds.
I'll have to find it.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Here

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Yep, I know it’s taller, Tech is sleeker, I guess I worded that wrong. Wondering how similarly they shave. Going to find out tomorrow! 😊

According to @Above The Tie’s blade gap table, the 40s SS has a slightly larger blade gap than the Flare Tip, implying it is slightly more aggressive.

I have used both and find them to be quite comparable… I kept the Flare Tip

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I love my Super Speeds. They are sweet, inexpensive tools that are built like tanks, shave exceptionally well, and take very little effort to get it "right".
I find no discernable or detectable difference between the early and the flare tip Super Speeds, though someone with extremely sensitive skin may.
They shave very similarly to the President model as well as the Lady Gillette model which I am informed is a Super Speed head on a longer handle.

The 40s has a very slightly bigger gap compared to the 50s-60s. Difference in shave is perceptible to me and my preference is toward the 40s. The black handles post 1966 have again the slightly bigger gap and even bigger exposure. The diamond knurling black handles post 1980 have a bit reduced exposure but bigger gap compared to the 70s black handle. The 80s black handle is the most aggressive. A touch below the red tip. That good enough for you?

Here

This is another example of one of those truly outstanding posts that would be great to include as part of an updated wiki-type list (referencing my earlier suggestion in the Wiki-Wiki-Who's-Got-The-Wiki thread). Compiling similar posts all in one place would be a really helpful resource.

According to @Above The Tie’s blade gap table, the 40s SS has a slightly larger blade gap than the Flare Tip, implying it is slightly more aggressive.

I have used both and find them to be quite comparable… I kept the Flare Tip

I love my Super Speeds. They are sweet, inexpensive tools that are built like tanks, shave exceptionally well, and take very little effort to get it "right".
I find no discernable or detectable difference between the early and the flare tip Super Speeds, though someone with extremely sensitive skin may.
They shave very similarly to the President model as well as the Lady Gillette model which I am informed is a Super Speed head on a longer handle.

Flare tip heads were tall dome until around 1961, early flare tips heads ('54-'60) are the same as the 40s style .
I have been shaving with several Super Speeds recently - I got a bad case of RAS over these. These include:

1947 no-notch SS
1948/1950 no date SS
1954 Z1 SS
1954 Z4 SS Flare tip

I really like the way these short handles feel and work - much easier to get around my face than a longer handle like the Slim Adjustable. If any of these four shave differently, I can't tell. I have a Rocket HD 500 and I would say it's noticeably more aggressive than any of these with the same blade. My preferred blade in these Super Speed razors is the Gillette Platinum but they shave well and nick-free for me with a Feather Hi-Stainless blade, too.

I didn't get out the calipers, but by eye I think the comment from @nemo is right, all the heads seem the same.

I have both 40's and 50's SS as well as a 48ish Aristocrat and love the way they all shave. The 40's razors seem to be a bit more efficient than the 50's flare tip, but not by a whole lot. I prefer the Aristocrat as it shaves really well and has a real purdy copper replate job on it.....just a stunner.

I have been shaving with several Super Speeds recently - I got a bad case of RAS over these. These include:

1947 no-notch SS
1948/1950 no date SS
1954 Z1 SS
1954 Z4 SS Flare tip

I really like the way these short handles feel and work - much easier to get around my face than a longer handle like the Slim Adjustable. If any of these four shave differently, I can't tell. I have a Rocket HD 500 and I would say it's noticeably more aggressive than any of these with the same blade. My preferred blade in these Super Speed razors is the Gillette Platinum but they shave well and nick-free for me with a Feather Hi-Stainless blade, too.

I didn't get out the calipers, but by eye I think the comment from @nemo is right, all the heads seem the same.
It is more aggressive because you have the 500 version with the bigger gap and exposure. Please read this post.
If they have "II" on the bottom plate they are with the small gap and exposure and shave like your other SS.

The circa 1948 SS I have (notched, with cardboard box) is noticeably more aggressive than the 1958 TV Special SS I have. Both have the taller head, as noted above it went to the slimmer head around 1961.

Top Bottom